Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

havasu_photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

I'm looking at a used Tokina 80-200mm F/2.8 lens. It has the red band around the tip of the lens. I've seen some of the newer ones have a gold band. What's the difference??
Both are auto focus, and I assume, that the red band is an older lens, but is there any difference whatsoever in the quality of images?

Anybody shoot with one of these, what are your thoughts?
Also, what teleconverters have you had success with on this lens?

Jul 28, 2009 at 05:02 PM
Joop Mees

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

I have a red band 80-200/2.8 ATX which is manual focus.
It's fine for me, but I 'm not really a long lens (>85mm) user.
These Tokina MF lenses are really cheap now.

Jul 28, 2009 at 09:13 PM
Joop Mees

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

btw I once got a tokina 2 x (non-ATX) converter to use with it.
It's absolutely crap. have to stop down to > f/8 to get a bit acceptable quality.

Jul 28, 2009 at 09:17 PM
havasu_photo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

Joop Mees wrote:
btw I once got a tokina 2 x (non-ATX) converter to use with it.
It's absolutely crap. have to stop down to > f/8 to get a bit acceptable quality.

Great, now you tell me. I ordered a Tokina 7-element 2X converter that will be here tomorrow. I don't know if it's ATX or not. Has the letters NA/AI on it.

The 1.5 I got is a Nikon Kiron Match Mate. I had heard good things about the Kiron Match Mate's, so for $10 I figured I'd give it a try.

Also, my lens is the red band ATX 300 F/2.8.

Jul 28, 2009 at 09:27 PM
eyphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

I've had the chance to own the gold band version last year and then sold it because I upgrade to Nikon 70-200mm VR. Since then, I have sold my Nikon and had just bought another gold ring version, should be here today. I think for the money, it is excellent. I've done comparisons before between the Nikon 80-200 and Tokina AT-X PRO 80-200, though I did it last year the results were very similar.

The gold is AF (at least I am aware of, Nikon version) but only for D80 and above. You can pick these up for around 400 (+/-). But they are rare to come by.

Sep 08, 2009 at 06:31 PM
havasu_photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

havasu_photo wrote:
Great, now you tell me. I ordered a Tokina 7-element 2X converter that will be here tomorrow. I don't know if it's ATX or not. Has the letters NA/AI on it.

The 1.5 I got is a Nikon Kiron Match Mate. I had heard good things about the Kiron Match Mate's, so for $10 I figured I'd give it a try.

Also, my lens is the red band ATX 300 F/2.8.

Just an update; I tried the Tokina 7-element 2X converter on my Tokina 300mm F2.8 manual focus lens, and the results were amazing!!! This was on a D300, DX sensor.

Sep 08, 2009 at 06:50 PM
eyphotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

Update: Tokina 80-200 AT-X PRO.
I really can't complain that this lens is a tad bit soft wide open at f/2.8, at f/4 and above it produces really good result considering what I paid for it. When time comes, I will upgrade back to the 70-200, but for now.. i'll just enjoy taking pics with this lens.

at f/2.8 (a bit soft)
http://www.yangweb.net/images/Portland/duck01.jpg

and..

at f/4 (much sharper)
http://www.yangweb.net/images/Portland/duck02.jpg

Sep 08, 2009 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

havasu_photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

You know you can get the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 for less than $500; push pull tube variety, and around $600 for the split ring. It will probably be sharper than what you have, but that's really subjective.
People get to wrapped around the axle on "sharpness". The only people that notice are other photographers. And if that's who your trying to impress, don't waste your time.

Sep 08, 2009 at 09:39 PM
eyphotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

havasu_photo wrote:
You know you can get the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 for less than $500; push pull tube variety, and around $600 for the split ring. It will probably be sharper than what you have, but that's really subjective.
People get to wrapped around the axle on "sharpness". The only people that notice are other photographers. And if that's who your trying to impress, don't waste your time.

Honestly, that's true. I don't know if I want the push n pull type. But the AF-D type, i can't find it for less than 700 now, newer condition are going almost as high as new. I still have access to a Nikon 80-200 whenever I want so maybe I might return it.. eheh

Sep 08, 2009 at 09:44 PM
PPower

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

time to resurrect an old thread that never really got answered. My understanding is that that the red stripe autofocus is the "regular" 828 ATX and the gold is the newer 828 ATX PRO. I haven't yet found anything that says what is upgraded on the PRO design. Any help here?

Jun 29, 2010 at 05:12 PM
Navyblue
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

The red stripe Tokina lenses were the older variety, before they coined the "ATX Pro" name.

If you are shooting Canon, at least some (if not all) red ringed Tokina lenses won't work with digital bodies.

Jun 29, 2010 at 05:32 PM
Roy NN7DX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

80-200/f2.8 ATX Pro Gold Ring?
I have one in the Sony/Minolta mount... Using it with an a850, 24mpix full frame...

Very sharp up to 150 or 160 at f2.8... Stunning in fact at 2.8 up to 150mm...

200mm? "Sharp enough" for beautiful portraits at f2.8 and very sharp at f3.5...

Me? I prefer my 80-200/f2.8 Minolta G series lens but I'd have a hard time finding much fault with the Tokina... (160-200mm is sharper at 2.8 with the Minolta)...

Another thing: When I first got my (used) Tokina 80-200/f2.8 AT-X PRO it developed a focus problem... Something broke in the focus drive on the lens...

Long story short: Tokina USA repaired the lens promptly for $101, total price included parts, labor and expedited return shipping. I still felt OK about my total cost of owning this premium lens that had just been lubed, cleaned and serviced by the manufacturer... I was impressed with Tokina USA's service...

Regards,
from the Oregon Coast,
Roy Scanlon

Jun 30, 2010 at 07:46 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 red or gold band??

Although not made to the same tolerances of OEM lenses, the Tokinas do very well for their price.
Some years ago I bought a manual one with the red ring to use with my D100. The results were very good even using the lens wide open. That lens was sent to the manufacturer because one element in the optical system got out of alignment. The lens was repaired by Tokina but I was not entirely satisfied with the images I got after the repairs. I always thought the images, prior to sending the lens, were better.
Anyway, their Pro or ATX series are well known for their quality at reasonable prices.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Jun 30, 2010 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password