Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · #353 Head Hunter

Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #353 Head Hunter

I was influenced by all the blade posts to revisit a shot which I had tried in the past. I always found this blade/knife difficult to present because of it's low profile and lighting it is not easy either because of it's subtle angles. It is being held up by a black metal armature just out of camera in the background. It took over 20 tries to get a straight motion blur. I let it sit in frame for about half a second and then pulled it left of camera by hand for the other half a second. If I only kept my old skateboard to set the armature on. Thank you for stopping in.

Jul 12, 2009 at 08:32 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #353 Head Hunter

GREAT. And thanks for the write up. Strobe or just a light? did you have to clone out the arm?

aF

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM
lavanut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #353 Head Hunter

Very cool shot... nice lighting and a nice effect with the blur. Thanks also for the explanation. It helps give others of us out here ideas!

Jul 12, 2009 at 04:10 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #353 Head Hunter

Mike, long time no see. Beautiful work as always. Missed you madly.

bev

Jul 12, 2009 at 07:33 PM
yogi3939
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #353 Head Hunter

Good "action" shot. And I also have one of those three bladed throwing knives in my collection. I tried to list it for sale on e-bay and they pulled it because it is related to a ninja star and they are banned from the site.

Jul 12, 2009 at 08:28 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #353 Head Hunter

aFeinPhoto.com wrote:
GREAT. And thanks for the write up. Strobe or just a light? did you have to clone out the arm?

aF

Hi Aaron, Thanks!

Just a couple of incandescent lights, one diffused and the main snooted. Strobes and remote flashes would be a lot of fun but I'm so used to working in real time. The black adjustable armature attached to the belt clip on the back of the blade is hidden by the knife and is almost pointing straight at you . What I had to watch for was my hand showing up as I pulled the armature with the knife for the motion effect. The snoot on the main light did a great job of blocking out almost all light behind the knife. That and the fact that my hand was only in the shot and moving for half a second, did not give it a chance to develop in camera.

Jul 12, 2009 at 09:03 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #353 Head Hunter

lavanut wrote:
Very cool shot... nice lighting and a nice effect with the blur. Thanks also for the explanation. It helps give others of us out here ideas!

Hi Lava, Thank you and your welcome. We all can learn from each other here.

Jul 12, 2009 at 09:05 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #353 Head Hunter

Beverly Guhl wrote:
Mike, long time no see. Beautiful work as always. Missed you madly.

bev

Hey Bev!!! It's great to see you! Thank you. Missed you too.

Jul 12, 2009 at 09:06 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #353 Head Hunter

yogi3939 wrote:
Good "action" shot. And I also have one of those three bladed throwing knives in my collection. I tried to list it for sale on e-bay and they pulled it because it is related to a ninja star and they are banned from the site.

Thanks yogi! I appreciate you stopping by. I think it's a neat piece to have in our collections. Just hang on to it.

Jul 12, 2009 at 09:21 PM
zcaley
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #353 Head Hunter

A beautifully scary shot!

Very edgy. (Pun intended)

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #353 Head Hunter

I'd be afraid to cut my hand on that knife. Really like the lighting, and motion blur.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM
jdieken
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #353 Head Hunter

Reminds me of the movie "Krull" (I think that was the name). Anyway, great shot again this week!

-Deke

Jul 13, 2009 at 01:46 AM
m. goodwin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #353 Head Hunter

Very nice image!

marty

Jul 13, 2009 at 06:56 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #353 Head Hunter

Must try something similar sometime. Thanks for the explanation. Another great result.

Jul 13, 2009 at 07:00 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #353 Head Hunter

Pretty cool shot, you put a lot of thought and time into your work and it shows. You mentioned working hard to get straight motion blur, but don't those rotate when they fly, I would have thought you would want something other than straight motion.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #353 Head Hunter

Hi Mike,

What a gorgeous photo and weapon and I love how you have capture the motion. Just a fabulous shot all around with beautiful lighting. I know such a weapon should be scary, but I have to say that I mostly find it beautiful. I guess it can be both and that is a very difficult thing to do. I am amazed how you have pulled it off.

Jul 13, 2009 at 03:14 PM
DaveNitsche
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #353 Head Hunter

Brilliant as always man.

Jul 13, 2009 at 03:17 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #353 Head Hunter

Beautiful pic. As always.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 13, 2009 at 05:18 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #353 Head Hunter

Fabulous shot, Mike, my friend! What else is new? The same technical excellence and creative vision as usual. :Bravo! :applause Yet again, no point in entering with such brilliance to compete with.

Warm regards

Endre

Jul 13, 2009 at 05:31 PM
Keahi08

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #353 Head Hunter

OMG, freakin awesome. Err, where's the beginner's WA? Seriously all the forethought, and work that you folks put into these is very humbling. Then to read of the ghetto ingenuity of using a skateboard was quite inspiring. Bravo.

JJ

Jul 13, 2009 at 05:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password