Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2009 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

pjbuehner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Wonderful photos but don't let anybody be fooled. What really is shining through is your mastery of lighting, mood, pose, and composition.
Not that the 200F2 isn't an amazing lens but that is hardly the primary thing making the photos this good.
What would one choose to get the best results:

1. Having you behind a digital rebel and a kit lens

2. Giving an inexperienced photographer a 1DsIII and a 200 F2

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 08, 2010 at 12:50 PM
form
• • • •
p.8 #2 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Obviously you know your light pretty well and I like about 85% of your poses, but I do not like the eye enhancement where you have noticeably increased brightness of the sclera (to the point of almost uniform whiteness) and saturation of the iris. The skin smoothing is consistent.

Since 580EX flashes were used with softbox, I assume you used a ND filter, shady/overcast outdoor areas, or high speed sync?

Apr 08, 2010 at 12:55 PM
jhartman
• •
p.8 #3 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"Just curious, are you using the stands the come with the RP's that hold the flash and RP?"
"Can you tell me which softboxes you're using most for your 580 EX II's?"

Below are two photos of my setups. For additional light I sometimes use two flash units in a single Q39 12x16 softbox. No need for huge light modifiers outdoors - you just need to get a tiny amount more light on the subject than the ambient light already provides. So there is no harsh light falloff at all in these images like there would be in an indoor setup. Small is good - lightweight, less cumbersome, and it never blows over, precluding the need for sandbags, stakes or a human assistant.

I have two of these two-light rigs, plus a single 580 without any modifiers that I use as a kicker light (light modifiers do not appreciably change the kicker effect outdoors).

You will see on the two-ligh setup that I do use the RadioPopper plastic foot, but I don't actually mount the foot to the stand in the usual way. I broke three of them learning that plastic is not a good material for everyday use (and have made requests for an aluminum option). The flash heads are velcroed together and 'pinched' between two aluminum bars mounted to the flash ring. This is much more sturdy, and allows the heads to be rotated easily to make adjustments to the flash or RP unit. This is a DYI setup that you can do with a hardware store, a hacksaw and drill and about $10.

"I do not like the eye enhancement where you have noticeably increased brightness of the sclera (to the point of almost uniform whiteness) and saturation of the iris."

I confess to bending to commercial interests, here - my clients love this look. It's not obvious at all in a large portrait, where the effect is more subtle than these oversharpened Web images. As I've said before, beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. ;-)

jh

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

jhartman wrote:
I confess to bending to commercial interests, here - my clients love this look. It's not obvious at all in a large portrait, where the effect is more subtle than these oversharpened Web images. As I've said before, beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. ;-)
jh

Well said.

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:33 PM
form
• • • •
p.8 #5 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

How are you matching ambient light color with the 580EX flashes? There is usually some difference in white balance - minor, but present.

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhartman
• •
p.8 #6 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"How are you matching ambient light color with the 580EX flashes? There is usually some difference in white balance - minor, but present. "

I think this issue is more theoretical than actual. I've never seen it in my work. The camera WB is set to flash, and ambient light isn't too far from it. I think the eye tends to look at and believe the skin tones of the highlighted portrion of the face. Of course, if you're working in shade right next to grass in the open sun, the reflection back up into the shadows could present a problem, but I watch for that. Same with brightly colored walls or buildings. GIGO.

jh

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:50 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.8 #7 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

It sucks! It totally sucks I can't afford this lens!!! Haha

Apr 08, 2010 at 02:01 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.8 #8 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Thank you so much for sharing stunning pictures and great experience

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:35 PM
mptnest
• •
p.8 #9 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

First of all, Mr Hartman, I can't express my gratitude enough for you taking time to share your 35+ years of experience with us on FM. I've been working on your lighting techniques not only on portraits, but on other things like flowers as well. I've been extremely happy with the results. Your straight forward aproach has given me great insight for light.

Rather than use a STE2 and RP's, I've been having some very good luck using a 580II as a master with the flash turned off. So far, although I don't have a ton of experience with it, I've been getting plenty of range in bright daylight and the "line of sight" issue isn't quite as touchy. I've actually had the master and slave talk in adjoining rooms where they couldn't see each other at all. I'm sure the IR was bouncing off the wall for communication.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Apr 09, 2010 at 01:16 AM
mhuebner
• •
p.8 #10 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

The lens is only part of the success in these images - excellent composition, good model prep, and really, really good lighting appear to be just as critical. (Did I mention really good lighting!) All of these combine to make some outstanding images. Great job!!!!
Mike

Apr 09, 2010 at 04:18 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password