Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Nice test but let's see some "real" photos with the 24 TSE II

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

The shots are very interesting but I'd really like to see how the new 24 TS-E stands against the 24 PC-E. Apples to apples, you know….

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 05, 2009 at 01:13 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Yakim Peled wrote:
The shots are very interesting but I'd really like to see how the new 24 TS-E stands against the 24 PC-E. Apples to apples, you know….

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I'm afraid I can't help you with this, because I don't have the 24 PC-E.

Best regards,

Boris

Jul 05, 2009 at 03:20 AM
David Svensson

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Bobu wrote:

And, as I allready wrote, Canon has tested this lens a few weeks ago and I have a writen statement from Canon, that the sharpness of this lens was tested is within spec.

Best regards,

Boris

Thanks for doing these tests, Boris!

Looking at the 24-70 pictures I think there might be some element de-centered. This is easy to test.

If you do a test shoot of the same wall, but turn the camera 180 degrees between two shots (most easily done by having the camera vertical-left on a ball-head to start with, then turning the camera to vertical-right, and using good pano technique to keep the lens in the exact same lateral location), and and compare the images.

If the colour finge in the shadow of the window-frame seen at the center of the image changes at all between the two images, you can be 100% certain there is at least one lens element that is not properly centered.

I don´t know about the 24-70, but many canon lenses have internal adjustment screws to allow the service to adjust centering and tilt of the lens groups.

When checking a complex lens professionally in an optics lab, a rotating projector is used. On that device the lens under test has a reticle with a test pattern behind it (where the image sensor normally is) and the lens is being continously rotated about its optical center axis.

The projected pattern is viewd at a white screen at a distance of typically 100x the focal length of the lens, giving a 2.4 x 3.6 m enlarged image of the test pattern.

As the lens is rotating, any change in the test pattern is observed. The amount of movement of the test pattern gives an indication of how good the centering is. The lens is then adjusted and re-tested until satisfactory.

BR,

David

Jul 05, 2009 at 03:28 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Bobu wrote:
I'm afraid I can't help you with this, because I don't have the 24 PC-E.

Best regards,

Boris

Yes, I could figure this up myself.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 05, 2009 at 03:30 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

David Svensson wrote:
Thanks for doing these tests, Boris!

Looking at the 24-70 pictures I think there might be some element de-centered. This is easy to test.

If you do a test shoot of the same wall, but turn the camera 180 degrees between two shots (most easily done by having the camera vertical-left on a ball-head to start with, then turning the camera to vertical-right, and using good pano technique to keep the lens in the exact same lateral location), and and compare the images.

If the colour finge in the shadow of the window-frame seen at the center of the image changes at
...Show more

Thanks a lot for this info. But this lens just returned from Canon and they said that they tested it and everything was alright. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I don't trust this lens anymore and will probably sell it.
If a lens is decentered shouldn't be there a significant difference in the sharpness between some of the 4 corners (which is not the case with my lens)?

Boris

Jul 05, 2009 at 03:49 AM
David Svensson

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Bobu wrote:
Thanks a lot for this info. But this lens just returned from Canon and they said that they tested it and everything was alright. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I don't trust this lens anymore and will probably sell it.
If a lens is decentered shouldn't be there a significant difference in the sharpness between some of the 4 corners (which is not the case with my lens)?

Boris

Well, I´ve had Canon US service say a 135/2 was fine, and then later on my local Canon Service Tech in Sweden managed to get it to perform excellently once a slight misalignment was fixed. It took the technician 20 minutes, I think, but then again he is very experienced.

Usually you would get different corner sharpness when there is a misalignment, but a combination effect of off-center and tilt, or two groups off-set in different directions etc can hide the difference between the corners, making all 4 corners bad, especially so on a lens that has already not-too-good sharpness in the corners wide-open to start with.

Anyway it is easy enough to test yourself with the turn-the-camera-180-deg method.

David

Jul 05, 2009 at 05:11 AM
Chez Wimpy

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

epuja wrote:
I only wish it had 9 bladed aperture...but then Canon seems to have a thing with 8 bladed....

Trying to remember, but didn't the mark1 have only 7 blades? I just got my 24LII last night, and looking forward to using it this week. I am also very seriously considering the 24LTS-EII (jeeze, too many 24Ls to keep straight), I just wish somebody with the means would compare both of the mark 2s "stop for stop" to determine a winner.

Jul 05, 2009 at 05:42 AM
RalphJ
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 24 TSE II vs. 14-24 vs. 24-70

Chez Wimpy wrote:
I just wish somebody with the means would compare both of the mark 2s "stop for stop" to determine a winner.

Mouse over chart to compare, change aperture to taste:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=486&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=480&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=6

Jul 05, 2009 at 03:02 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.