Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2009 · 5D/FD85L combo

ovredal73
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · 5D/FD85L combo

Sorry, the standing images are a bit tall...

Jun 23, 2009 at 09:03 PM
Silentlight
• •
p.3 #2 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
(BTW, radioactivity and coatings are completely unrelated. The wording of your questions seems to indicate a misunderstanding there)

I thought the radioactive material was part of the coating they used to use. Guess I need to do some reading on it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 09:11 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · 5D/FD85L combo

ovredal73 wrote:
To celebrate Paulīs return on board the FM alt train - some recent walkaround shots with my Dim.Ka converted FD85L on 5D2

Very much appreciated, Andre! Is there a way for me to buy you a beer over the Internet, yet?

Some really nice shots from you, as usual. Congrats on the lens!

Fell off the wagon, back onto the train. I like it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:20 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · 5D/FD85L combo

Silentlight wrote:
I thought the radioactive material was part of the coating they used to use. Guess I need to do some reading on it.

Short story is; the radioactive ingredients (lanthanum, etc.) are added to the glass mixture itself, to give it certain beneficial properties (namely refractive index, I think).

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.3 #5 · 5D/FD85L combo

A couple from my FD85L. Wide open it's pretty sharp.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · 5D/FD85L combo

5D/FD85L: ISO400, @f/1.2, 1/45sec handheld, slight crop.

100% crop

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · 5D/FD85L combo

Nice Jim! Your son?

My youngest daughter (85/1.2 SSC Asph. wide open on 5D, uncropped):

This one might be at 1.4, IIRC:

(She's wearing make-up for her ballet recital.)

Edited on Jun 24, 2009 at 01:08 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2009 at 01:02 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · 5D/FD85L combo

wjlapier wrote:
A couple from my FD85L. Wide open it's pretty sharp.

Nice, Bill! What cam?

Jun 24, 2009 at 01:06 AM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.3 #9 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
Nice, Bill! What cam?

The G1.

I just received a cropped Nikon body and it still won't mount. Something inside at the top of the body is blocking the lens from entering the chamber--I know what it is, but not sure I want to perform surgery. I have another idea, but not sure how to get the rear element out of the f-mount.

Jun 24, 2009 at 01:22 AM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.3 #10 · 5D/FD85L combo

Lots of great pics guys. I might have to pick up a 5D so I can use my lens on a fullframe sensor. I've always wanted to use the 135L again!

Jun 24, 2009 at 01:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.3 #11 · 5D/FD85L combo

If I already didn't have an EF 85 1.2L mk 1 I'd be pretty tempted to get an FD 85L and convert it. And an EOS-1n RS to go with it (or with any of the crazy alt choices like other FD glass, Konica, etc.)

Jun 24, 2009 at 01:48 AM
wkhc168
• • •
p.3 #12 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
Very much appreciated, Andre! Is there a way for me to buy you a beer over the Internet, yet?

Paypal

Welcome back Paul!

Jun 24, 2009 at 02:27 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but decided to take it easy on our dear Andreas.

After all, he does do such nice work with the EF!

:-) Pengland and Paul: I would probably go the FD-route if I didnīt already have the EF. But still, af is really useful on some lenses. My keeper rate is a lot higher with my 85L than say the Rokkor. I know I have said this before...

Paul! Welcome back! You have been dearly missed!

A

Jun 24, 2009 at 04:22 AM
brainiac
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3 #14 · 5D/FD85L combo

ovredal73 wrote:
To celebrate Paulīs return on board the FM alt train - some recent walkaround shots with my Dim.Ka converted FD85L on 5D2

Andre, I could look at your photos all day. You are a bloody genius at finding beauty in the ordinary. Thanks for the inspiration.

And welcome back Paul - I have missed you too.

Jun 24, 2009 at 08:29 AM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.3 #15 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
Short story is; the radioactive ingredients (lanthanum, etc.) are added to the glass mixture itself, to give it certain beneficial properties (namely refractive index, I think).

More than likely dispersion relationship, which would manifest itself in the complex (i.e. frequency dependent) refractive index. Titania (TiO2) has a very high refractive index at some frequencies, but I don't remember it having as "nice" a dispersion relationship as other metal oxides. TiO2 also wants to agglomerate and crystallize, so it's probably harder to work with than older materials.

In human speak--the old glasses were likely easier to formulate and get a good color spectrum. This is mere speculation, and I'm not too keen on going out into my materials books to look up a bunch of ceramics to make a better postulation, sorry.

D

Jun 24, 2009 at 02:53 PM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.3 #16 · 5D/FD85L combo

Wow, what a compliment Thank you Richard!

And Paul - great shots, especially do I love the first one of your daugther. And if ever in Toronto I will take you up on that beer

Jun 24, 2009 at 02:55 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · 5D/FD85L combo

Thanks Andre. Certainly do let me know if you ever plan to visit Toronto.

With regards to sharpness of the FD vs. the EF vs. the SSC Asph. I don't think there are enough comparisons to draw any solid conclusions. In the end, I think they all must be pretty damned good

Here is a shot with the SSC Asph. wide open on 5D. I have posted it before, but here I'll include a 100% crop as well.

Apparently, Zeiss does not have a monopoly on "3D effect":

People who have some reason why they don't want an 85/1.2 often complain that the DoF at 1.2 is useless anyway. I strongly disagree.

I think Flickr does some further JPEG compression on these, not sure.

Notice, not even a hint of CA on his collar ring/tags.

Even if the EF is sharper than this wide open, I'm pretty confident I don't need it.

BTW, yes, I did say "want a biscuit" for this shot

Jun 24, 2009 at 04:01 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #18 · 5D/FD85L combo

Is it just me or does the bokeh of the tree blossoms look more "dreamier" than what I think the EF 85L II would render. Definitely nice having less CA with the FD's than the EF but need AF for quick non-posed portrait shooting. I wanted to get a FD 55 1.2 SSC Aspherical but the prices are too high, thank you Kevin's Cameras, as it the EF 50 1.2 is not as strong a performer as the 85L II. Because of wanting AF I went the Contax N 50 1.4 route.
One thing I wanted to ask about the FD 85:
Does it tend to want to easily blow out the sky in outdoor full sun portrait shots like the EF 85?
John of Pebbleplace mentions this one nuisance with the EF 85L which I agree my copy does this too.

Welcome back Paul, and yes your dog definitely deserves a treat for his great posing work.

Jun 24, 2009 at 05:22 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.3 #19 · 5D/FD85L combo

Paul, that is really a gorgeous shot!

Jun 24, 2009 at 05:54 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · 5D/FD85L combo

Thanks guys.

Wayne, I'm not sure what the EF would have done with this photo. Some of the tree branches are pretty close to the plane of focus there and I agree that they are rendered very well. Andreas (Anden) recently showed us a family shot that really put the EF to the test. Maybe the EF would have rendered the branches in my scene more like the highlights in Andreas' pic, but so many other factors are involved that it is basically meaningless to extrapolate. The lighting in Andreas' shot was completely different, for instance.

The only way to know for sure is for me to rent an EF for a weekend...

Jun 24, 2009 at 06:48 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password