Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23      
       end

Post Your Set Up!

Sharks123
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #1 · p.24 #1 · Post Your Set Up!

kwoodard wrote:
How does that work with the flash firing into the lens hood?

Right now ı dont use Flash. I make a little flash diffuser front of the lens hood. This setup works both MPE-65 and Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens.

Sory for language

Jun 14, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Padraic

p.24 #2 · p.24 #2 · Post Your Set Up!

wow, these are impressive setups. I just use a 100mm f2.8 Vivtar FD Mount (kiron made) on my A7 but I'm thinking about adding a flash to the setup. Seems like that is pretty common around these parts.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM
ThatGuy82

p.24 #3 · p.24 #3 · Post Your Set Up!

Polling the experts for a recommendation on a used Macro lens for my M 240 - an R 100 f/4 or R 60 f/2.8?

Jun 29, 2014 at 07:49 PM
dalekirk

p.24 #4 · p.24 #4 · Post Your Set Up!

Thank you I am going to play with my flash, which I usually don't use...I am going to get my creative justices going

Jun 29, 2014 at 08:39 PM
phuoctue

p.24 #5 · p.24 #5 · Post Your Set Up!

frans_vdm wrote:
A few pictures of my setup for in-flight macro photography. The setup contain 2 parts, one as normal camera-macrolens (now the D300, AF105/2.8D) and above stand the AF60/2.8D macro-lens as optical IR detector (+ microcontroller mounted into this lens). 2 IR lasers are used for the optical system, 2 other green lasers show me the visual projected focuspoint (therefore the lasers are mounted oblique).

Oh my god. Frans, are you a rocket scientist, a robot mechanic or a photographer? I am amazed and cusrious about the out put from this rig. Where can I see them?

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:30 AM
Prapanpong

p.24 #6 · p.24 #6 · Post Your Set Up!

Ohhh wowwww This is my first time to see macro set up, really interesting world. I will come here more often. This is why I really love this forums, everybody shares. Thanks.

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:44 PM
lk1wzhu4aie

p.24 #7 · p.24 #7 · Post Your Set Up!

nice sharing!

Jul 05, 2014 at 02:37 AM
fiberstrobe

p.24 #8 · p.24 #8 · Post Your Set Up!

I haven't checked all uploaded set-up yet, but I saw some very nice ones so far. Here comes my recent macro lighting set-up for my DSLR (sony a100). I use the camera either with minolta 100mm macro or sigma 50mm macro. The whole idea is to split and channel the light from the on camera flash via optical fibers to any position. To aim and hold the end of the bunch of fibers into the required positions I used loc-line flexible hoses. I can also attach any light modifiers to the end of the flexible arms using magnets. The softboxes just snap to the end of the arm and hold there. It can be used to light traditional macro (soft light from above) but I like more to use it for extreme side or back lighting.
More details on how to make it you can find on my blog:
http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.com/

Now I realized that I can't upload
so I provide only a link to my set-up:
http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.de/2014/06/the-uber-macro-lighting-system.html
and this is the little brother for mirrorless (nex-5):
http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.de/2012/07/twin-flash-adapter-step-by-step.html

Cheers
Marcell (fiberstrobe)

Jul 05, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Gal7373

Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #9 · p.24 #9 · Post Your Set Up!

frans_vdm wrote:
A few pictures of my setup for in-flight macro photography. The setup contain 2 parts, one as normal camera-macrolens (now the D300, AF105/2.8D) and above stand the AF60/2.8D macro-lens as optical IR detector (+ microcontroller mounted into this lens). 2 IR lasers are used for the optical system, 2 other green lasers show me the visual projected focuspoint (therefore the lasers are mounted oblique).

Here the hole setup picture:

http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/106990949/original.jpg

But recently, my compur1 shutter broke, so i had to renew this part. The compur1 shutter was hard to find or very expensive, so i've used an old compur0 shutter. Results of this
...Show more

Can you perform surgery on mosquitos with that thing?!!?!?!?

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
frans_vdm
• •
p.24 #10 · p.24 #10 · Post Your Set Up!

Can you perform surgery on mosquitos with that thing?!!?!?!?

Of course, every moving object from 1mm or higher can be triggered.

[/url]High-speed stacking photography out_0319 by fotoopa, on Flickr

[/url]

High-speed stacking photography out_0425 by fotoopa, on Flickr

Or even in 3D:

[/url]

1543_3d by fotoopa, on Flickr

My last version for 3D :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoopa_hs/12536741285/

My current 2D version:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoopa_hs/8579833371/

fotoopa as fvdm_vdm

Jul 11, 2014 at 05:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cadman342001
• • • •
p.24 #11 · p.24 #11 · Post Your Set Up!

My latest set up

D700, 105/2.8 ais micro with PN11 to get to 1:1 and a set of PK tubes, cheapo LED ring flash off ebay used in "light" mode rather than flash mode as a modelling light and a Yongnuo 560III with dodgy temporary bracket and the top off an electric popcorn maker with 2 layers kitchen roll.

Not sure what magnification that gets me to.

See board for example shots of flowers, not had chance to try it on bugs yet.

my set up by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:54 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.24 #12 · p.24 #12 · Post Your Set Up!

Andy, to find out your magnification... Take a picture of a millimeter ruler and see how many mm you can see in the resulting pic. (I use the horizontal measurement). So lets say that the pic you took shows 7mm. Take the horizontal measurement of your sensor (37mm I believe) and divide it by what you got in the pic. 37/7=5.28. So you are getting 5x magnification or 5:1.

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:37 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.24 #13 · p.24 #13 · Post Your Set Up!

Thanks Kevin, I'll give that a go. It's a moot point anyway but always nice to know.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • •
p.24 #14 · p.24 #14 · Post Your Set Up!

Master of Light Studios
Stricly Old School Fine Art Photography
L.A. Images, Inc.

Canon Digital Macro Studio the final iteration
Camera: any
lense: any w lense foot
Flash: any, shown Canon speedlites 580EX II, 90EX off camera fully automatic wireless flash master + slave groups A:B:C
Diffusers: sunlight filtered 5500 degree kelvin DIY
twin 11" articulate arms
Shoulder support stabilization: Leitz Wetzlar shoulder stock , Germany circa 1955

Aug 04, 2014 at 05:43 PM
TheBat
• • •
p.24 #15 · p.24 #15 · Post Your Set Up!

Hi Guys,
I notice that a few of you are trying to utilize fibre-optics for firing satellite mounted strobes and I've been wondering as to whether anyone has tried using any of the Sea and Sea or Inon brand strobes that are used exclusively by underwater photographers? I spent about 15years doing underwater photography and the results from these strobes both manually and TTL, is amazing. Most of the major strobe manufacturers even include two or three different Kelvin diffusers for their strobes. The only problem is that they can get very hot, but I don't think that would be a problem because of the lack of 'targets' compared to those offered under water. When you see something underwater, you tend to machine-gun away due to the short duration of time available. . .
If you flick down through the first few pages, you will find some interesting postings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60676553@N00/

For those that might be interested anyway. . .
Bruce

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:14 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.24 #16 · p.24 #16 · Post Your Set Up!

TheBat wrote:
I've been wondering as to whether anyone has tried using any of the Sea and Sea or Inon brand strobes that are used exclusively by underwater photographers?

Bruce,

Thanks for the link. Inon have some interesting-looking diffusers and snoots.

Harold

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:31 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.24 #17 · p.24 #17 · Post Your Set Up!

Latest set up utilising the Bush Hawk minus front bracket/grip, with trigger button.

_AGM6200 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6201 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

The macro bracket I have is quality but inflexible, I want to lower the profile of the flash to make it easier to poke it into places, somehow have the flash parallel to the barrel with the head/diffuser pointing down. Any ideas ? I suppose a smaller flash would be a start but which one ? sb400?

Andy

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
TheBat
• • •
p.24 #18 · p.24 #18 · Post Your Set Up!

Hi Andy,
Funnily enough, I have had 'better' results with the little R200 than I have with the 400. I think that the 400 has waaay too small a flash unit and needs to have a sizeable diffuser made for it. Don't get me wrong, the SB400 is a very powerful flash unit for macro work, it's just the very small rectangular flash unit that I'm complaining about. It gives a real hot-spot. . .
This is only in my experience and I'm no expert. . .
BTW, what brand is the circular flash mount that you are using? I purchased a couple off ebay and they were very flimsy, but yours looks a helluva lot sturdier. . .
Bruce

Sep 16, 2014 at 05:38 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.24 #19 · p.24 #19 · Post Your Set Up!

Having tried my wife's patience in recent years with the bulk of my camera gear on flights, with both our carry-on baggage allowances of up to 7kg each, I have this year got it down to about one 5kg bag. OK, more than half was originally film gear and the pending trip will be digital only.

We are talking m4/3. The non-macro lenses are a Lumix 7-14mm AF, and Olympus 14-42mm AF and 70-300mm 4/3 AF (via adapter).

The macro kit, all manual focus, is based around a Kiron (Vivitar Series 1) 105mm f2.8 macro in Canon FD fitting (also great for general telephoto shots). I have the Kiron FD x 1.5 and x 2 TCs, the latter having arrived only this morning. There are also two achromat screw-on close-up lenses, a Marumi +5 and the Raynox MSN-202.

The above, with the lens at closest focusing distance, give me, according to the combination, a field of view (FOV) from 17.5mm down to about 2.5mm wide, at a working distance of ca. 140mm down to 30mm.

Some examples: with x1.5 TC FOV=13mm,: add a +5 Marumi and FOV= 7.5mm; alternatively, add the Raynox and FOV= 3mm.

The lens plus the x2 TC gives FOV=9mm. Using this TC plus the Marumi or Raynox is so similar to FOVs with the x1.5 that it is not worth swapping (unless the small amount of additional working distance is critical).

The camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M1, with an E-P2 as backup.

Although I have yet to try the x2 TC, I have been using some of these combinations for images posed here. For flash exposure I carry an Olympus FL-50R and an FL-300R, with the pop-up FL-LM2 to control them (off-camera) form the hot shoe.

I mention this kit on grounds of flexibility, portability and affordability, the more so if you can base it around Olympus OM mount version.

I hope this helps someone.

Harold

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.24 #20 · p.24 #20 · Post Your Set Up!

TheBat wrote:
Hi Andy,
Funnily enough, I have had 'better' results with the little R200 than I have with the 400. I think that the 400 has waaay too small a flash unit and needs to have a sizeable diffuser made for it. Don't get me wrong, the SB400 is a very powerful flash unit for macro work, it's just the very small rectangular flash unit that I'm complaining about. It gives a real hot-spot. . .
This is only in my experience and I'm no expert. . .
BTW, what brand is the circular flash mount that you are using? I purchased a couple
...Show more

Hey Bruce, I'm not 100% but I think it is a Kirk brand (bought it about 10 years ago). Wasn't cheap though IIRC.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password