Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              20      
       22       23       24       end

Post Your Set Up!

Robin Casady
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.21 #1 · p.21 #1 · Post Your Set Up!

sorpa wrote:
Great woodworking quality.
I don't know if you're aware but velmex builds/sells its unislides for quite a while. Manual or motor driven.
Here is a link

http://www.velmex.com/manual_cross_sections.asp?series=4000

I wasn't aware of them. Thanks for the link. At 4" wide with 8" travel, black anodized, you are looking at over $400 for just the slider. If you need high precision, a viable option.

I'm in the process of computerizing mine (Arduino) and I can get good consistency at about 0.2mm of travel between shots. If you need micron accuracy...

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:25 AM
sorpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.21 #2 · p.21 #2 · Post Your Set Up!

Robin Casady wrote:
I wasn't aware of them. Thanks for the link. At 4" wide with 8" travel, black anodized, you are looking at over $400 for just the slider. If you need high precision, a viable option.

I'm in the process of computerizing mine (Arduino) and I can get good consistency at about 0.2mm of travel between shots. If you need micron accuracy...

For micron accuracy you can go Cognisys way with its StackShot controller.
Or you can go manually with a stage moved by a micrometer.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:09 PM
rmrj_l

p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Post Your Set Up!

Old Setup MP-E 65 / MT-24EX:
2013_6D_IMG_3365 by RMRJ_L, on Flickr]Old Setup[/url]

New Setup MP-E 65 / 90EX / 2x 270EX II Wireless:
2013_SX50_IMG_0526 by RMRJ_L, on Flickr]New Setup[/url]

Almost the same performance for a much lower price

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:29 AM
danh920
• •
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Post Your Set Up!

so newer to macro here, what is a solid (and cost effective way) to mount 1 speedlight onto the end of my lens/hood for better lighting?

I can find the cable easy enough but not having much luck finding a flash mount.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Chad Harwick

p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Post Your Set Up!

My amateur setup

7D
100L
Cheap flash bracket
swivel hotshoe flash mount (still in transit)
580EX
Vello ETTL off camera cable
cheap diffuser

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:10 PM
misster
• • •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Post Your Set Up!

Lot's of creativity here - nice work !

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:17 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Post Your Set Up!

At the time when I posted my original reply I was not registered to upload images. I will now add an image of the basic setup. I would also point out that other lenses may be used, reversed or not, with various extensions, including with M42 (including a helcoid) and/or m4/3 tubes. I now also sometimes use an OM to m4/3 tilt adapter.

e6filmuser wrote:
There are some inspiring setups here. Having said that, there are some huge flash guns and/or diffusers. I wonder how many insects can be approached with such an intimidating array, not least when they are amongst vegetation whcih can be snagged.

I have more or less finalised my subtitute for an MPE-65:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117843#117843

The zoom lens used has quite a fungus problem and a replacement is on its way to me.

Some results:

At 28mm focal lenght:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18631

At 50mm:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18543

At 70mm:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117016#117016

© Harold Gough 2013

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:06 PM
YJ4x4

p.21 #8 · p.21 #8 · Post Your Set Up!

I'm not quite so fancy as some of you. I use a cheap ring flash I bought on eBay, (it does work ttl, though), some equally cheap extension tubes, also from eBay, and a Tokina 100mm macro lens. 99.9% of my shots are hand held because I hate lugging around a tripod.

Nov 03, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Yukonica

p.21 #9 · p.21 #9 · Post Your Set Up!

rmrj_l

Aside from the fixed mounting points, when you say 'almost the same performance'; what are you giving up?
I have resisted the Canon macro unit because of the wires and the heavy looking control module on top of the camera. Your wireless solution appears to resolve those concerns.
Can I assume the units will fire if, for example, you were to shoot an insect in flight?
Thanks for any insight you offer.
Don.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Nass

p.21 #10 · p.21 #10 · Post Your Set Up!

Until recently I just used a horizontal flash setup but I've moved to using a ringflash with stacked Raynoxes more recently.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.21 #11 · p.21 #11 · Post Your Set Up!

stacked Raynoxes more recently.

Tell us more. I have used stacked Marumi achromats and I think I used a Raynox/Marumi combination recently but need to check on the context.

Harold

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:34 AM
rmrj_l

p.21 #12 · p.21 #12 · Post Your Set Up!

Yukonica,

Did not miss the mt-24ex in any way. And I can use the flashes also for other things. I have now also the 70D where I can use internal flash as master.
The picture in the link is taken with this setup (only 70D instead of 6D)

2013_70D_IMG_0058-mod by RMRJ_L, on Flickr

I think taking pictures from insects in flight is no problem, maybe also using high speed sync.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Yukonica

p.21 #13 · p.21 #13 · Post Your Set Up!

rmrj_l,

Thanks!
At half the price and twice the versatility you've come up with the best lighting solution I've seen yet.
Somewhere in my mental travels I've seen a slotted circular bracket that might complete the package.
I'm surprised the folks at big C haven't already boxed it.
Very cool. It's on the list.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Nass

p.21 #14 · p.21 #14 · Post Your Set Up!

Yukonica wrote:
rmrj_l,

Thanks!
At half the price and twice the versatility you've come up with the best lighting solution I've seen yet.
Somewhere in my mental travels I've seen a slotted circular bracket that might complete the package.
I'm surprised the folks at big C haven't already boxed it.
Very cool. It's on the list.

Yukonika, if the circular bracket is the same as the (cheapish) one I bought through eBay, they're a bit of a disappointment - the metal isn't that thick and rigid and I did find that it 'wobbled' with even relatively little load. The way it attached btw is on the bottom, with a metal strip joining onto a circular strip that the cold shoes would sit on.

Harold, as soon as I have a pic I'll post it... too many things to do, too little time

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Yukonica

p.21 #15 · p.21 #15 · Post Your Set Up!

Thanks for the heads up Harold.
Strike that idea.
I know ReallyRight makes something, and I'm sure it works very well, but good grief… the price.
The bracket rmrj_l made looks pretty practical after all.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:01 PM
rmrj_l

p.21 #16 · p.21 #16 · Post Your Set Up!

Yukonica wrote:
The bracket rmrj_l made looks pretty practical after all.

Have used an old 58mm filter. Removed the glass. Made a aluminium bracket where the outside from the filter fitts in.
Screwed the filter on the MP-E and marked the bracket in the position I want. Then glued them as marked together with 2-components glue. After drying painted black and made a separate bracket for the flashes.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.21 #17 · p.21 #17 · Post Your Set Up!

rmrj_l wrote:
Have used an old 58mm filter. Removed the glass. Made a aluminium bracket where the outside from the filter fitts in.
Screwed the filter on the MP-E and marked the bracket in the position I want. Then glued them as marked together with 2-components glue. After drying painted black and made a separate bracket for the flashes.

Any pics of this? Sounds like a good DIY setup

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
rmrj_l

p.21 #18 · p.21 #18 · Post Your Set Up!

Give me some time and I will put the info here.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM
nalahm
• •
p.21 #19 · p.21 #19 · Post Your Set Up!

Mine's just 6D + contax N100 makro combined with tele-converter mutarII 1.4X and / or extension tube sometime.

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:00 AM
TheBat
• • •
p.21 #20 · p.21 #20 · Post Your Set Up!

rmrj_l wrote:
New Setup MP-E 65 / 90EX / 2x 270EX II Wireless:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7377/9565501118_fa6aae5a12.jpg 2013_SX50_IMG_0526 by RMRJ_L, on Flickr]New Setup[/url]

Almost the same performance for a much lower price

I like the look of the new set-up but wonder about the amount of weight swinging off the front of the lens and transferring the load to the mount at camera face?
Bruce

Nov 26, 2013 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password