Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

3              24       25       end

Post Your Set Up!

BluePixel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Post Your Set Up!

Lot's of ingenuity !
You guys are priceless.

Jun 22, 2009 at 02:40 AM
aeast
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Post Your Set Up!

Has anyone tried the Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 330B Macro Flash Bracket or modified one?

Have been thinking about getting one of these to play around with. Perhaps use a couple 220EX or 270EX on the flash arms.

Jun 22, 2009 at 05:43 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Post Your Set Up!

Here is an update....

Dec 11, 2009 at 06:45 PM
Jeannean
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Post Your Set Up!

This is a great thread for those of us newbies who wonder how some of you get such fantastic photos. Thanks a bunch. I think I need a flash bracket. My set-up doesn't need a photo...just imagine a Nikon D90, SB600 on board with a diffused with a LumiQuest Softbox, and a Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM. I'm fairly new to photography, and seeing these different set-ups has given me something to think about for the "next step". Again, thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 07:53 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Post Your Set Up!

Glad we can help

Dec 11, 2009 at 08:06 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Post Your Set Up!

Jeannean wrote:
This is a great thread for those of us newbies who wonder how some of you get such fantastic photos. Thanks a bunch. I think I need a flash bracket. My set-up doesn't need a photo...just imagine a Nikon D90, SB600 on board with a diffused with a LumiQuest Softbox, and a Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM. I'm fairly new to photography, and seeing these different set-ups has given me something to think about for the "next step". Again, thanks!

Jeannean, if you're happy with your rig, then disregard this post. I shot with a Sigma 150 and used the DIY setup below for my lighting. It worked really well. The best part is: it was SUPER easy to make

Kenny

Dec 11, 2009 at 08:27 PM
penghai
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Post Your Set Up!

Hi,

Great seeing you guys have fun.

Could someone post some instruction how to make the cone on the flash head? I guess the purpose there is to make the light source large and soft. I'd like to know how and what materials you use if possible.

Eric

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM
rnickl
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Post Your Set Up!

Eric, I used "fun foam" from the craft store and an Altoid tin for the easy change diffuser holder. I went through a few pieces of paper getting a good pattern and then just cut the diffuser out of the foam and stapled/taped it together.

Oh yeah, I lined the inside with aluminum tape and the diffuser is currently 2 coffee filters.

Rick

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:20 AM
capttcb
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Post Your Set Up!

Hey Guy/Gals,

Long time lurker 1st time poster. This is awesome stuff here! I recently got into photography and have been hooked on macro stuff. The info you guy's post here has been very helpful. Thanks

I have a D90 with a Sigma 150mm and for light I use a R1C1
What is the advantage of making these lighting set-ups versus the R1C1? Seem's like you guy's have spent a lot of time and money in creating these so I was wondering why.
Thanks, Todd

Dec 12, 2009 at 02:48 AM
TheBat
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Post Your Set Up!

capttcb wrote:
Hey Guy/Gals,
What is the advantage of making these lighting set-ups versus the R1C1? Seem's like you guy's have spent a lot of time and money in creating these so I was wondering why.
Thanks, Todd

Hey Todd,
I have learnt an incredible amount from these 'pages' and if you have a look at "Dalantech" site/blog, you will see that he uses the Canon equivalent of your R1C1 unit, but his has heavily modified diffusers mounted to control the lighting to his liking. And I guess that it's what it's all about, "to your liking"?? Have a look and then jump in and try it out, see what you come up with and have fun while doing it. . . . yada...yada...yada...
Bruce

Dec 12, 2009 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lacksative
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Post Your Set Up!

These mounted on a 5D (Mark II) and sometimes also a 50D. Even though it doesn't show in this picture. I am elevating one of the flashheads above the subject to get a different angle using a Cactus V2 flash trigger

You can see my photos here: http://mickocastren.1g.fi/kuvat/makrokuvia/

Here's some shots with them. Some shots may be diffused with Sto-Fen OM-24EX diffusers. Here's a comparison shot between the diffusers:

Dec 12, 2009 at 07:42 AM
penghai
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Post Your Set Up!

Rick,

Thanks very much for sharing the details of your setup. Your "bracket" looks very cool too.

Eric

Dec 12, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Post Your Set Up!

Since I posted my rig to this thread I've rebuilt my diffusers more times than I care to keep track of. You can see the details here with video.

Dec 12, 2009 at 09:56 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Post Your Set Up!

My new "alternative " high magnification setup. A 10X microscope objective mounted on a body cap on the end of 75mm of ext tubes. The flash "snoop" is on a 430Ex flash gun.

Brian V.

Example shot- a crude focus stack.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM
TheBat
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Post Your Set Up!

Hi Brian,
Second image is so cool, dunno how the poor thing is walking around with all that weight on his back though?
Bruce

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM
TheBat
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Post Your Set Up!

Hi Rick,
Nice rig with excellent workmanship on what appears to be a very nice copy of the RRS flash bracket
Bruce

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM
rnickl
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Post Your Set Up!

TheBat wrote:
Hi Rick,
Nice rig with excellent workmanship on what appears to be a very nice copy of the RRS flash bracket
Bruce

I'm not sure if this is a RSS copy I stumbled for quite a while fooling with different brackets and I finally arrived at this. Now that I look at the RSS bracket it might have given me some inspiration for my design. I have been happy with how this one is working out and I think my final design, for now.

Excellent workmanship? This is just my 15 minute prototype
I'll probably start building my final version in the next few weeks now that I know what changes I'd like to make and I have dimensions confirmed.
It always seems a PITA while I'm working but, perhaps I'll slow down this time and document my project to post here.

Rick

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:42 AM
TheBat
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Post Your Set Up!

rnickl wrote:
It always seems a PITA while I'm working but, perhaps I'll slow down this time and document my project to post here.
Rick

Excellent idea. I will look forward to your pics.
I was also wondering if you were going to make the mount with extra mounting points so that the flash was able to rotate around the axis of the lens
Bruce

Dec 13, 2009 at 09:39 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Post Your Set Up!

TheBat wrote:
I was also wondering if you were going to make the mount with extra mounting points so that the flash was able to rotate around the axis of the lens
Bruce

I believe that is what the ball head is for

Dec 13, 2009 at 02:10 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Post Your Set Up!

Figured I'd dig this back up for an update and to give other members the chance to contribute. Here is my latest DIY softbox.

Apr 24, 2010 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password