Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Slik Pro 700D

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slik Pro 700D

Anyone have an opinion/experience with the Slik Pro 700DX tripod?

This will be supporting a 40D and most often a 100 macro or wider angle lenses and nothing larger than a 70-200. Looking for something useable in the $100-$150 range.

Thanks

Jun 02, 2009 at 05:59 PM
westx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slik Pro 700D

I have that tripod with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead. I support a 50D w\300 F\4+1.4TC. I have carried this setup around the wood for several hours without much trouble. I am looking at another ballhead though as this one is a little tricky with my setup.

As for the tripod it is a little heavy but that makes it really stable. It adjust easily and stays locked in place well. I really like the foam on the upper legs as it cushions it pretty well for carryin of the shoulder. I don't think you would disappointed with it at all.

Jun 02, 2009 at 09:34 PM
FAswad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slik Pro 700D

Its a good tripod. I use it with the tilt pan head that comes with it. Its fine, but am considering a second head as well.

Shooting fireworks side byside with my buddy who had the Manfrotto 055PROX, he commented it was obvious to him that the Slik was the sturdier of the two. And that's the Manfrotto that everyone raves about.

Jun 04, 2009 at 11:00 AM
y2nicco
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slik Pro 700D

get it from BH... its on sale now... it was out of stock and I just got a notification saying it is in stock. good price!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&A=ShowProduct&sku=557127&is=REG&Q=

They have another (same tripod) listed at $100, and a second at $120. Killer deal here for $80.

Jun 05, 2009 at 12:14 AM
greggn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slik Pro 700D

I like it.

I originally bought it to shoot IR and specifically wanted a sturdy tripod with some heft to provide a stable platform during long exposures. It did that no problem.

I now use it for landscape panoramas. Same needs ... same rock solid stability.

Jun 05, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slik Pro 700D

I've got two. They are plenty stable for my 6x6 Bronicasaurus, and will be more than enough for your light DSLR, so long as you don't go hanging any telescopes off the end.

There is one issue with these tripods - the nylon leg bushings are somewhat fragile. You can accidentally break them when extending the legs. About a year ago I was gently extending the middle segment on my newer tripod when the lower leg came off in my hand. Springs, bushings, and pieces of cracked plastic went flying. The tripod in question was never dropped or abused, and I don't make a habit of violently extending the legs. Strangely, my other DX700, years older, has survived significant abuse, including some spectacular tip overs and tumbles, without any sign of malfunction.

Also, take care to keep dust and sand out of the leg joints. I once had to push the older unit ahead of me through the sand when squeezing through a slot canyon. I was a bit surprised to find that the legs were nearly welded in place. A complete teardown was required to restore smooth operation.

Edited on Sep 17, 2009 at 04:38 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2009 at 07:47 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slik Pro 700D

Thanks to all. Finally getting around to ordering.

Jul 05, 2009 at 07:52 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slik Pro 700D

I got one, great tripod!

I've written a review here:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/eos20/journal/3763756-tripod-review-slik-700dx

Sep 14, 2009 at 08:34 AM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slik Pro 700D

Just curious, anyone have an idea how the Silk700DX might compare to a Velbon 530 or 540 Carbon Fiber?

The Velbons CF seem pretty well rated, but are they any better than the Silk's Titanium?

-slrl0ver

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:35 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slik Pro 700D

I have a slik, and it's a great pod. Some gear snobs would say you shouldn't trust your point and shoot on it, and I think these are the same people who have never seen one, let alone owned one.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password