Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · ViewNX problem

fcobb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ViewNX problem

Recently updated ViewNX to Ver 1.3.0 from 1.2.0 and now at appl launch I get a "Internet Connection Error" that has to be cancel multiple time before app will run.
Tried reinstalling 1.2.0, Uninstalled 1.3.0 and 1.2.0 rebooted and reinstalled 1.3.0

Sent Nikon an email
Their response was to contact my internet provider and ensure my connection was optimized (whatever that means) uninstall 1.3.0 reboot and reinstall 1.3.0.

Didn't see the need to contact my ISP.. nothing there has changed.

System Specs:
Dell XPS, 3.16 dual core duo
4gb ram
Vista Home Ultimate

Anyone else.

May 31, 2009 at 02:15 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ViewNX problem

I don't use 1.3, but have you tried telling it not to phone home? Should be in settings. Tell it to check for updates only when you decide. Or, it may just quit on itls own.

I reinstalled CS2 on my new computer and it would call home every time I started the program, and tell me I had to register it. I could have had a lifetime supply of Photoshop mag. Then one day it just quit.

May 31, 2009 at 02:54 PM
bitmaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ViewNX problem

Remove the Nikon Message Center. It's nothing but a nag app that takes up resources. Of course, then it's up to you to upgrade... which ain't all bad.

May 31, 2009 at 03:44 PM
fcobb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ViewNX problem

Thanks runamuck... no such menu option

bitmaker, I thought you were on to something... Uninstalled message center but still get the error message.

May 31, 2009 at 03:59 PM
bitmaker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ViewNX problem

fcobb wrote:
Uninstalled message center but still get the error message.

Yikes, this is the sort of stuff Rod Serling liked alot! Did you reboot after removing the Nikon Message Center? A reboot should dump enough of the registry settings of the NMC to make it leave you alone.

Greg

May 31, 2009 at 04:42 PM
fcobb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ViewNX problem

bitmaker wrote:
Yikes, this is the sort of stuff Rod Serling liked alot! Did you reboot after removing the Nikon Message Center? A reboot should dump enough of the registry settings of the NMC to make it leave you alone.

Greg

Veiwnx has been goofy (for me) since orig rollout... always something like this or app crashes with Nikon Txfr.

May 31, 2009 at 05:29 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ViewNX problem

Could it be a problem with your internet security software ? Maybe you just need to tell it that there is a new version of ViewNX, or give it a new "rule" for accessing the internet. It could be blocking the new version because it has been altered even though it has the same file name.

- Alan

Jun 01, 2009 at 08:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fcobb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ViewNX problem

Alan321 wrote:
Could it be a problem with your internet security software ? Maybe you just need to tell it that there is a new version of ViewNX, or give it a new "rule" for accessing the internet. It could be blocking the new version because it has been altered even though it has the same file name.

- Alan

Good thought... but reinstalled earlier versions 1.2.0 1.2.2 etc. to no avail.
ViewNX is just cranky software... has been from the beginning. Trying to find an alternative. I know it's not a big deal, I'm just tired of it not working like it's supposed to.

Jun 01, 2009 at 03:32 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ViewNX problem

AFAIK, the only way to fix goofy installs of nikon software is to wipe your system and reinstall everything, including OS. That is apparently the only thing that will work on a windows system........ I've had so many problems with viewNX and NX2 that I quit using them.

For simple photo browsing, I use Irfanview or breeze browser pro. Irfanview is free and works well on most photos, but has issues with large JPGs that are sharpened for printing.

Jun 01, 2009 at 04:23 PM
fcobb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ViewNX problem

Hey Kerry.... Yeah an OS wipe and reinstall occurred to me but quickly evaporated when i considered the hassle and for only one application. (The only application giving me PITA)
Oddly enough VeiwNX is the only one that gives me trouble. NX2, (except for choking on memory use occasionally) has been pretty well behaved. Thanks for the heads up on Infraview, will chk'em out.

Jun 01, 2009 at 04:42 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ViewNX problem

Just for grins and giggles.. try clearing the cache when you get it open. Can't hurt, at least.

Edit, Options, middle of the screen on the right side is the Clear button.

Jun 01, 2009 at 11:28 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ViewNX problem

bitmaker wrote:
Remove the Nikon Message Center. It's nothing but a nag app that takes up resources. Of course, then it's up to you to upgrade... which ain't all bad.

Actually better that way, message center kind of useless anyway. tells you there is an update, but doesn't pull it automatically. Most of the time it can't get to the page to download to get it and I have better luck navigating using the site not using messengers direct URL to it . More Nikon 's site fault on that, not the easiest site to pull stuff down from imo.

Jun 02, 2009 at 12:43 AM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ViewNX problem

Yeah I am having a problem with View Nx too, it just started crashing on my macbook for no reason, works fine on my old G5 desktop. Talking with Nikon now, how there is a solution soon as I like view nx.

Jun 12, 2009 at 04:48 PM
pauldd

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ViewNX problem

CURED THE "Internet Connection Error" PROBLEM! javascript:void(0);

I found this cure on Nikonians
"Delete MSN 'MyFiles' Network files in the 'My Computer' folder seems to have solved the problem!"

I suspect the above cure may be for XP - I run Vista and tried the following.....

From the front screen click "Computer" Icon then delete "My Web Sites on MSN"
This seems to have done the job for me. I have no idea why MSN would have anything at all to do with generating an error dialogue box in View NX but it seems to have worked for me. I didnt even reboot the PC or dumb the file from the recycle bin as sson as I had hit delete then started View NX the problem was gone. javascript:void(0);

Feb 21, 2010 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password