Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

Archive 2009 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Savas K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

mwtea wrote:
Add one more to the tally. A vise grip vs. my new Connectr-2, and the screw came out with little effort.

I don't see why BlackRapid can't take a cue from climbing equipment. It doesn't have to be a "patented by BlackRapid" component for me to pony up for one.

May 13, 2009 at 04:23 PM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

And if you're overly concerened, you can attach one of those little plastic tie-strips. Speaking of climbing, the Lowepro company was into making climbing gear, long before they got into the photographic market. As most Lowepro owners will state, the Lowepro gear is well designed and made.

Kiron Kid

May 13, 2009 at 04:37 PM
axle01

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Hi i'm a newbie and i have made a new hook system to fix any problems with the BR hook system it does away with the original swivel hook that leaves the camera in the wrong position on many ocaisions and will never fail.
Have a look here.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=226866

May 13, 2009 at 05:28 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

I just talked to Melissa P (http://www.blackrapid.com/about.php) at BlackRapid and she said they will be posting a message about this on their web site later this evening. She told me a little more about this, but I will let their newsletter speak for themselves.

Jim

May 13, 2009 at 06:54 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

They put it up on their website that certain people affected by the problem from the first run of the connecter's will be receiving an new one.

May 13, 2009 at 09:12 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Their web site posting:

At Black Rapid, quality is our top concern If you have ordered a CR-2 (individual or on your R-Strap) between the dates of May 5th to May 8th, or a pre-ordered CR-2 from 2008, then you will be receiving a new CR-2 in the mail to replace your current CR-2 swivel hook.

May 13, 2009 at 09:14 PM
alemmo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

so how many months did it take for them to ship the CR-2 and they still shipped out a faulty product? Well at least they are going to send us a new CR-2, not sure i'll trust it much though.
Its a wonder they don't call the new one a CR-3 and charge us another $20 though

May 13, 2009 at 09:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

how many months did Canon advertise the 1D3 as the camera to end all cameras and then even after a pre distribution review telling of an issue with the AF ship a known faulty product that to this day almost 2 years later plaguse the owners. in the end the final answer to that one will be the 1D4 and its certainly not going to be free or an exchange.

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Savas K wrote:
Plastic-coated stainless cable. Soft on the outside, tough on the inside!

Besides which, it's not a tight all around affair, just a loop of protection.

didn't think of that but did you thing of the flexibility of the cable vs that of a simple 8" piece of 3mm climbing cord and a double fishermans knot?

it is also easily removed. i think the cable might be just a little heavy handed in this case.

May 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Forget this BR nonsense.
I'm sticking with the nylon web type.

EBH

May 14, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

sjms wrote:
Savas K wrote:
SJMS

The double fishermans is a great knot for us climbers. But how many non-climbers know how to tie it?

Kiron Kid

May 14, 2009 at 12:37 AM
m3rocket
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Kiron Kid wrote:
The double fishermans is a great knot for us climbers. But how many non-climbers know how to tie it?

With animated GIF of course!
How to tie a Double Fisherman's Knot.

May 14, 2009 at 03:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

which is not to be confused with the standard fishermans knot. this is the "pro" version. its very upscale.

May 14, 2009 at 07:53 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

sjms wrote:
didn't think of that but did you thing of the flexibility of the cable vs that of a simple 8" piece of 3mm climbing cord and a double fishermans knot?

it is also easily removed. i think the cable might be just a little heavy handed in this case.

Good idea, though I don't trust my knot-making. The best knots I have made have been inadvertent, such as when trying to untangle stereo headphone cord. I see the most amazing, hard-to-undo knots in that. Makes me think that is how knots have been discovered over the years.

May 14, 2009 at 01:38 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Hello,

I just received an e-mail from Black Rapid saying that some of the ConnectR-2 swivels had a problem.

It them goes on to say that they are sending, free of charge, a replacement to everyone on their mailing list who has received one of the faulty ones.

Kudos to them - that is the way to address a problem.

As an aside - if you need a knot guide and have an iPhone get the "Knot Guide" app. I have used this a bunch of times when I needed a specific type of knot, and always have the iPhone in my pocket.

May 14, 2009 at 02:50 PM
burychka
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

FWIW, I ordered two RS-4's plus the two-strap connection thing, which I believe is called ConnectR-2. I've not yet received it, but I just got an email that says they're shipping out replacement ConnectR-2 swivel hooks to everyone who has purchased one. What you've described here sounds like a different part, though.

I ordered this strap based largely on the glowing reports on this forum. Hmmm.

Bill

May 14, 2009 at 03:12 PM
photoeye78
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Here is the link to the email Steve was referring to:
Black Rapid Email

May 14, 2009 at 03:14 PM
kalex
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Yep got the same email. I think what might have happened is they skimped on their manufacturer. They have been plagued with delays with this new system of theirs and as soon as they started shipping it all these problems developed. Let this be a lesson to other companies: if you charge a premium for a product don't skimp on parts and labor.

May 14, 2009 at 03:47 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Well I ordered one last week from a Canadian retailer and expect it tomorrow .. bad timing on my part.

I'll just simply return it unopened and avoid the worry.

May 14, 2009 at 04:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Savas K wrote:
Good idea, though I don't trust my knot-making. The best knots I have made have been inadvertent, such as when trying to untangle stereo headphone cord. I see the most amazing, hard-to-undo knots in that. Makes me think that is how knots have been discovered over the years.

come on he even provided a video

May 14, 2009 at 05:08 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.