Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

gmcooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

I have a Canon 300mm f2.8 L non IS lens which has served me well until the auto focus motor has died. I am a CPS member and learned that the lens is "out of service life" by
Canon U.S., but a third party can repair the lens if they have the parts. I am in the search for a repair shop that might have an auto focus motor on the shelf or perhaps has parts which can be transferred from another lens to bring mine back to life. Your help in my search would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

May 07, 2009 at 03:50 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/
There have been positive reports on Midstate Camera Repair.
My guess is that of all older supertelephoto lenses the 300 f/2.8 experiences most failures. Therefore, I would expect them to repair the lens good if they have the required spares.

May 07, 2009 at 04:15 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Firstly, are you absolutely sure that's what the problem is. As an owner of this lens myself, I'd get it thoroughly checked out to make sure it's not something else. I have discussed this with my service agent (not Canon) and he says he has never seen a burnt out focus motor on one of these lenses. They are built incredibly tough.

What symptoms did the lens exhibit which led you to believe that this is the case? I'd be extremely interested to hear what the outcome is.

Petkal is probably right that, of all the older model super tele lenses, this one probably experiences the most failures but I'd be betting that it's also by far the most common.

May 07, 2009 at 12:02 PM
gmcooper

p.1 #4 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

The auto focus began acting funny while at a basketball game. The lens would take more time than usual to grab focus and would move very slowly between subjects near and far. In a matter of minutes the lens would not focus at all so by half time of the game I gave up and put the lens in the bag and sent it to be repaired.

The lens has been sent to CRJ Repair Co. in Duluth, GA and after they examined the lens the tech says that I need to get a new auto focus motor. According to them the motor is part of an entire component which needs to be replaced. However, since Canon no longer makes the parts I am searching for some new old parts to fix the lens.

I have spoken with Mark at Midstate Camera Repair who was very helpful on the phone, but they did not have any parts to fix the lens at this time either.

May 07, 2009 at 03:19 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Have you spoken to KEH Camera Repair in Atlanta, Ga ?
https://www.ws.keh.com/rv/Brands.asp
Yet another possible source of repair expertise/salvaged spare parts.

May 07, 2009 at 04:40 PM
L33t
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

I didn't know that USM can die

May 07, 2009 at 04:44 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

It's probably not the actual USM rings themselves but something related to them, e.g. the driver circuits and assembly. These used the L1 (77mm) USM, which was also shared with the 85/1.2, 50 1.0, 200/1.8, et al. So, there would possibly be some spares to be had from cannibalizing something like that, though that's not a cheap option either. I'd 2nd the recommendation of sending it to Midstate and have them check it out. Maybe something can be done. Hopefully so! It's too good of a lens to just toss.

-Ed

May 07, 2009 at 07:45 PM
ParroTone
• •
p.1 #8 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Ed Sawyer wrote:
It's probably not the actual USM rings themselves but something related to them, e.g. the driver circuits and assembly. These used the L1 (77mm) USM, which was also shared with the 85/1.2, 50 1.0, 200/1.8, et al. So, there would possibly be some spares to be had from cannibalizing something like that, though that's not a cheap option either. I'd 2nd the recommendation of sending it to Midstate and have them check it out. Maybe something can be done. Hopefully so! It's too good of a lens to just toss.

-Ed

The problem is the failure may be a common part among all the lenses making it even more difficult or impossible to fix. I recently sent one of these older tele's in to Midstate and Mark gave two possible causes (USM Motor or DC/DC converter) but could not make the repair.

May 07, 2009 at 10:03 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

ParroTone wrote:
I recently sent one of these older tele's in to Midstate and Mark gave two possible causes (USM Motor or DC/DC converter) but could not make the repair.

That doesn't sound confidence inspiring.

May 07, 2009 at 11:42 PM
Jeff Winters
• •
p.1 #10 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

I had one that couldn't focus at all. The lubricant had failed and it either burned out the motor or the controller board which is long out of production. I was told that there was no way to check which one without changing the motor. It went to three authorized non-Canon repair sites and they all had the same response. Eventually, after months of communications, Canon sold me a new auto-focus version for $2500 and I sold the broken one for $1200.
Jeff

May 08, 2009 at 01:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

gmcooper wrote:
The auto focus began acting funny while at a basketball game. The lens would take more time than usual to grab focus and would move very slowly between subjects near and far. In a matter of minutes the lens would not focus at all so by half time of the game I gave up and put the lens in the bag and sent it to be repaired.

The lens has been sent to CRJ Repair Co. in Duluth, GA and after they examined the lens the tech says that I need to get a new auto focus motor.

Mmm... that's sad.

You hear about this sort of thing on the 'net but I have always thought it was a little overstated (even if the point is necessary). I'm sorry it happened to you.

May 08, 2009 at 09:07 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #12 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

There are some repair shops in the Chicago area that might be able to help you out. I would try KEH first and then look in the Chicago area.

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

The part number for the af unit is CY1-2795. If you do a google search you'll see a few European companies have it, and a Russian website. Sometimes eBay has it but I didn't see it there at the moment.

300 2.8 parts list - http://www.micro-tools.net/pdf/Canon/EF%20300%202.8%20L%20USM.pdf

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM
RafalA
• • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Edit: Double post for some reason.

Edited on Dec 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM
RafalA
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Jeff Winters wrote:
I had one that couldn't focus at all. The lubricant had failed and it either burned out the motor or the controller board which is long out of production. I was told that there was no way to check which one without changing the motor. It went to three authorized non-Canon repair sites and they all had the same response. Eventually, after months of communications, Canon sold me a new auto-focus version for $2500 and I sold the broken one for $1200.
Jeff

So you got a new 300/2.8L IS for $1300?

Where do I sign up??

...Maybe my 300/2.8 non-IS won't be for sale after all!

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Item number 320365759519 on eBay says it's the focusing unit you need, but the part number doesn't appear to be right. So either the description or the part number is wrong, probably worth sending a message to them and asking.

Dec 12, 2009 at 03:24 PM
rbtree

p.1 #17 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Believe it or not, but Pro Photo Repair has my 300, which has a dead focus system, and fungus. They either have the parts or are getting them, and claim that it will be fixed....to the tune of $1350!! Ouch, but it's better than a non working lens.

Anyone in need of repair can google them, they have a website. They're in San Diego. I'll report back when I actually get the lens back.

This is the company that has/had the ebay focus motor listed, but admitted that the part number was wrong.

Mar 09, 2010 at 08:04 PM
rbtree

p.1 #18 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

I have the lens back, and it is fixed. Works perfectly!

Mar 30, 2010 at 06:33 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 300mm f2.8 non IS auto-focus motor needed

Nice!! Congrats!

Mar 30, 2010 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password