Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

barP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

i'm in europe and was looking to rent a 300 f/2.8 to shoot an event for an american magazine last weekend, and when i was trying to find a vendor in belgium, a member of the fred recommended foto konijnenberg to me.

nothing against him at all, but i would never recommend this company to anyone.

when i emailed them several months back, i asked if they had the lens and what the rate was. regarding price, the verbatim quote from the email i still have was "rental fee of 40 euro and a bail of 500 euro." as that's very close to what i'm used to paying in the states, i was stoked. everything seemed good to go.

when i arrived i received 2 nasty surprises. first, it was 40 euros PER DAY, and since it was a weekend rental they had me down for 120 euro. after some discussion, they calculated that sunday didn't count so it was actually only a 2 day rental and was "only" going to be 80 euro. i could overlook the pricing discrepancy and take some responsibility for that, but the bottom line is they told me what they told me via email, in writing. they just didn't have their act together as well as i thought, and if i hadn't challenged them, i'd have paid 3x my original estimate! to make it worse, they treated my assertion that they should make it right with total contempt. if their incompetence to that point wasn't enough to turn me off, their attitude about it certainly was.

but it got worse.

i knew "bail" meant deposit, and i had no problem with it when i handed them my credit card. i assumed they'd authorize some amount but not actually charge me. wrong. not only did they actually charge the card 500 euro, but they hit me with a 2% fee that was of course not returned. to add insult to injury, the guy who rang me out at the time i returned the lens handed me 420 euro in cash! i explained i didn't want cash and asked that they simply refund the card. the response was that this was impossible and the excuse was something to do with their credit card transactions going through holland.

whatever. at that point i was totally done and i let them know it. the guy behind the counter had the nerve to tell me as i stalked out that "we make the rules!"

that's good. go right ahead and keep playing by those rules and you'll end up at the bottom of the heap like every other business that thinks that way.

wp.

Apr 28, 2009 at 07:32 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

moved from sports

Apr 28, 2009 at 04:39 PM
fotojeroen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

Fotokonijnenberg has a store in Holland and one in Belgium. I've been to both several times.
I have positive experiences with them. They have quite a lot in stock and prices are ok.

Fot your problem, maybey they could have communicate the rental-rate better (don't know if you asked what the cost would be for a two or three day rent, if you did asked that and the said 40 euro's, you'll have a case)

For the creditcard-issue. Creditcards are not so common in Europa as in the states. From what I know is that people in the states pay a lot with their 'plastic fantastic'. Overhere you can shop at a lot of places with your card, but there are much more stores that don't accept a credit card. A lot of people don't even own a credit card (I don't)
Credit cards are mostly used for the bigger payments (your bail is still alot of money)
I seriously don't have a clou how the creditcard system works. As far as I know, you give them your card and they withdraw the money from your compagny and you have to pay that before a certain period with a little interest. I don't have any idea if they could charge a card, don't withdraw the money and that way only claim the money from your compagny if the need the bail-money for some reason.

Maybey there is a little line in there regulations that could warn you before, or could help you afterwards to get your 2% fee back.
I've searched their site and found them in englisch for your:
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/news.php?news_type=voorwaarden

Apr 28, 2009 at 07:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

I'm also very pleased with the Foto Konijnenberg shops. It's my main shop when buying in Europe and the service has always been good for me. And also one of the few shops where i can buy all the RRS stuff in the shop. And good prices for being in Europe

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:39 AM
Rooster L200
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

I like them as well, and CC's are largely an unknown quantity here in Holland. The 2% fee is actually quite common (but that does not make it right....). Their prices are so sharp, they loose on CC deals, hence the fee. it is one of three big camera shops in Holland still in existence (as fas as I'm aware), all others have gone down the drain when digital hit the market.
Still, all in all it would have been nicer to have quoted more exactly. Most rentals are dayprices unless otherwise stated. And a statement 'we make the rules' is actually stating one is losing the argument....

Apr 29, 2009 at 07:27 AM
barP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

the store was certainly well stocked and well lit, and i loved the free espresso.

i will also agree that americans are waaaay too familiar with credit cards.

having said that, cc transactions aren't rocket science, and i view this as a basic customer service issue. had they told me about the cc procedure up front, i might of walked in with 500 euro in cash, but i had no reason to expect that problem. the 2% thing is also standard in the u.s., but this wouldn't have ever happened there. to start with, it would have been an authorization, not an actual charge, which is very, very common (hotels do it every day.) and, i would also expect any business to recover the 2%, but in a less overt manner, ie. it would be built in to the price - especially for the amount fotokonijninberg is getting on rentals.

wp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 07:45 AM
barP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

by the way, lars, did you stop shooting black and white? i finally got back to the bw forum after some time away and i miss your work!

wp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 07:47 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

barP wrote:
by the way, lars, did you stop shooting black and white? i finally got back to the bw forum after some time away and i miss your work!

wp.

I will do some B&W later. Have been too busy with shooting birds since I bought the 800/5,6 lens

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

fotojeroen wrote:
Credit cards are not so common in Europe as in the states. Over here you can shop at a lot of places with your card, but there are much more stores that don't accept a credit card. A lot of people don't even own a credit card (I don't)

They are virtually everywhere in the UK.

Apr 29, 2009 at 03:04 PM
barP
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

"bought....the....800....5.6...."

hell....i wouldn't shoot anything but birds either. very nice!

wp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:03 PM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

barP wrote:
"bought....the....800....5.6...."

wp.

Yes - just a cool 10,000 in the UK! (equivalent of $15,000 in the US)

OUCH!

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:16 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

paulhodson wrote:
Yes - just a cool 10,000 in the UK! (equivalent of $15,000 in the US)

OUCH!

But I bought it in Bangkok, I stay there 3-4 months every year. Still expensive but I payed $ US 9600

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:42 PM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

Bargain!

Apr 29, 2009 at 04:57 PM
barP
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

what a steal! that's only half what fotokonijnenberg would have charged you to rent one.

wp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 05:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · foto konijnenberg, turnhout belgium = bad service

barP wrote:
what a steal! that's only half what fotokonijnenberg would have charged you to rent one.

wp.

Actually they have a very good price for being a shop in Europe. 10450 Euro including VAT. Or 8781 Euro excluding VAT

Apr 29, 2009 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password