New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

dhlewis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

Is it possible to use the same LR catalog on a fat32 drive by both xp and mac?

Apr 28, 2009 at 01:48 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

not if it's an external drive. the LR catalog must be on an internal drive or directly attached drive.

Apr 28, 2009 at 09:30 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

howardm4 wrote:
not if it's an external drive. the LR catalog must be on an internal drive or directly attached drive.

I think you mean not if its a network attached drive. However an external drive attached via either USB or Firewire will work just fine.

To answer the the OP's question, yes you can access the same catalog as long as its on a FAT32 formatted drive.

Apr 28, 2009 at 09:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

USB/FW falls under my definition of 'directly attached' (and eSATA).

I inferred he was talking about simultaneously sharing the drive. thats a big no-no
if it's anything other than network attach.

anyway, we're all in agreement

Apr 28, 2009 at 09:55 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

Oh yea simultaneous sharing is definitely a big no-no.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

thedigitalbean wrote:
I think you mean not if its a network attached drive.

There are ways around that.

Apr 28, 2009 at 01:29 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

pls elaborate

Apr 28, 2009 at 01:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

howardm4 wrote:
pls elaborate

Whilst its not UNIX, Windows comes with a surprisingly useful commandline subsystem. In this case the util that does the magic you want is called "subst" - it "substitutes" one file system path for another. The best bit is that when mounting a network drive this way Windows seems to forget that its a network drive, and hence LR doesn't know either. Unfortunately subst doesn't understand usernames and passwords (its not designed for network shares i guess), so another command is also required. So for my home setup:

Desktop computer houses LR catalogue and files on local drive f:, and shares them as \photos. It has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.100 (you can use workgroup computer names also).

On the laptop i open a command line DOS window and type the following:

net use \\192.168.0.100\photos * /USER:192.168.0.100\my_username
subst f: \\192.168.0.100\photos

The first of these commands authenticates me to use the \photos share but doesn't actually mount it as a local drive. The * makes it prompt you for a password. The subst command mounts it on f: It will probably list in My Computer as "disconnected network drive", but double click on it and it will open ok.

Note that i use f: on both computers to get around any path conflict problems which may arise.

Rebooting the computer clears up all these commands, alternatively "subst f: /D" will unmount the share.

Hope thats of some use to people.

Note: Running an LR catalogue over wireless is bloody slow. I doubt its all that fast over wired network either. I only do picture sorting and tagging on the laptop. Editing is out of the question. Also, if your net connection drops out there is the possibility of the LR database becoming corrupted. Just so you know.

Apr 28, 2009 at 03:03 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

thanks for the responses, I'm sorry I was not clear it is an internal drive

Apr 28, 2009 at 09:46 PM
v.bampton
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Catalog Mac & PC

Also, if your net connection drops out there is the possibility of the LR database becoming corrupted.

Just to clarify that - it's almost certain that the catalog will be corrupted beyond repair if the connection drops while the catalog is open, which is why it's firmly discouraged by Adobe.

Apr 29, 2009 at 03:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.