Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · #339 Moonshine

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #339 Moonshine

My camera has been in the shop for awhile so i couldn't shoot anything this week. Consequently, I made this in Photoshop out of spare parts that I had lying around. Therefore, I'm not sure it should count for the contest. If you agree, don't vote or it! I am posting it because I'm proud of the work I did and because you all might find it interesting.

I started with a black to blue gradient. Layered over it, the moon is from one photo, the shot of Mount Whitney and the stars are from another. Each of the clouds are from three other photos. The tree is a composite of two trees I made for yet another project. So, the whole thing is built out of six or seven other photos and all of the parts, of course, are mine. It really belongs over at the "Special Effects" forum but I hope you enjoy it. Needless to say, all comments are most appreciated!!! i will try to be back to my regular shooting schedule next week.

Edited on Apr 07, 2009 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2009 at 01:30 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #339 Moonshine

I like the image a lot. I know composite and special effects images aren't the purpose of the weekly assignment forum, but I confess sometimes a preference for them over most straight shots when they are well done. This one is well done in my book! For me art is not just depicting what is, but sometimes imagining what should be. I don't remember any good big trees on the eastern face of Mount Whitney, but there should be!

Apr 07, 2009 at 04:41 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #339 Moonshine

Looks Ansel Adamish to me! I like it! I also agree with AuntiPode that making art - a 2D version of your minds eye is more important, than being a light scribe. If this were a photo journalist assignment that would be a different metric. However, Fred does allow composites, and I think he has tried to find a reasonable middle ground for the WA and MA. My only problem has been creating suitable images to go with the topics. Seems I am running a bit dry lately.

Apr 07, 2009 at 05:41 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #339 Moonshine

This is a very stunning picture. The only reason I don't vote for it is because I think it's not in the spirit of the rules. But I would hang it on the wall, if that means anything to you

Apr 08, 2009 at 01:01 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #339 Moonshine

Thank you so much! I appreciate you kind words and am really glad you like this. I agree with you about the nature of art. God designed the world with a tremendous amount of beauty in it, and I'm very willing to idealize that beauty on occasion. This was an exercise in virtuoso compositing so from that point of view, I'm very pleased with it.

All best wishes,

Endre

AuntiPode wrote:
I like the image a lot. I know composite and special effects images aren't the purpose of the weekly assignment forum, but I confess sometimes a preference for them over most straight shots when they are well done. This one is well done in my book! For me art is not just depicting what is, but sometimes imagining what should be. I don't remember any good big trees on the eastern face of Mount Whitney, but there should be!

Apr 08, 2009 at 02:32 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #339 Moonshine

Thank you, Jim, my friend! I'm so glad you like it. "Ansel Adamish"!!! High praise, indeed! I've gotten dinged by some posters here on occasion for doing more than just straight-ahead photography. I find, though that being constrained by that standard is artistically very limiting. In this case, if I had gone out and shot all the parts this week, I wouldn't have been too concerned about doing a put-together. Unfortunately, all the spare parts come from a variety of older photos so they don't really count. For me,the overriding purpose of this forum is to spur me to do something creative every week. In the absence of a camera, this was the next best thing.

Fond regards,

Endre

James Markus wrote:
Looks Ansel Adamish to me! I like it! I also agree with AuntiPode that making art - a 2D version of your minds eye is more important, than being a light scribe. If this were a photo journalist assignment that would be a different metric. However, Fred does allow composites, and I think he has tried to find a reasonable middle ground for the WA and MA. My only problem has been creating suitable images to go with the topics. Seems I am running a bit dry lately.

Apr 08, 2009 at 02:41 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #339 Moonshine

Thanks so much for your kind comment. I'm delighted that you like this so much. Being one of the "old-timers" at this forum, I know the rules very well, which is why I didn't make any effort to conceal the origin of this piece. As I wrote to Jim above, had I gone out to shoot all the parts this week with the intent of putting them together in a certain way, that would have been a different story. Having won a number of 1st places in the past, I have no need to massage my ego with yet another win (nice though it is to win) so I feel free to bend the rules on occasion. I will undoubtedly use this in my next gallery exhibit.

All best wishes,

Endre

stanj wrote:
This is a very stunning picture. The only reason I don't vote for it is because I think it's not in the spirit of the rules. But I would hang it on the wall, if that means anything to you

Apr 08, 2009 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.