Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · NYIP

dmitchell
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NYIP

Has anyone used this school for photography is it worth the 45 dollars a month, or is there someone better that you guys know of.

thanks

Mar 06, 2009 at 01:13 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NYIP

I have no idea. Never used them. Get a lot of their junk in the mail though. And school for $45/month just sounds....too good to be true.

Mar 06, 2009 at 04:35 PM
D Smith
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NYIP

Don't do it, if you can't afford school, find a good mentor, in fact, just find a good mentor.

Mar 07, 2009 at 09:10 PM
billcurn

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NYIP

I took their photo course about 20 years ago (pre-digital) and it had a lot to offer.
You get weekly assignments which are critiqued by their staff. I found it very helpful when I was learning the art. They cover a lot of bases with the materials and instructions. I actually learned more from working as a stringer.....especially about film, developing and printing. Now I just stick my card in the reader....not as much fun, but a lot safer (chemicals) and faster.

Mar 07, 2009 at 09:24 PM
Petecc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NYIP

I never heard of it but I guess it won't hurt to try. If billcurn found it handy 20yrs ago, there might be something there to look into. Hey! if worst comes to worst all you'll lose is $45. I 'm self taught and found that reading a lot of books and tons of trial and errors got me as far as I am today ( Not bad for tinkering for 10yrs ). Classes will most certainly help but to boring for me. Good luck

Pete

Mar 07, 2009 at 11:17 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NYIP

D Smith wrote:
Don't do it, if you can't afford school, find a good mentor, in fact, just find a good mentor.

This guy is off base here.

I don't know how you are financially but let me give you a pointer.

I wanted to sign up, but I wanted to research them out a bit. So I took a week to research. At the time I looked it was $748 for the cost of the school if you paid in full. You also got a 40some out inch 5n1, a nice shoulder bag (for reflector, cds, info pads, whatever you want, really a nice bag) a cheap monopod, a 4gb USB drive, and a cleaning cloth (giant sized).

So I checked back in a week and wanted to sign up. The price ballooned to like 1198 (they had a normal price increase that was due). I said screw it. 1200 bucks is the 16-35 I want to buy, so I said no. A few weeks later, I received an offer code (PM me for it, it's still valid last they told me) and it was 798$. So I signed up and paid in full.

Now that said, if you do sign up and you have half a brain about photography, unit 1 is a breeze. It's about the lens, the camera, and your eye. The photo project is 3 photos, really just to gauge where you're at, and if you've comprehended everything in your lessons.

Unit 2 is a little bit more into it, but still pretty basic. There's double the photo assignments for this unit and more information in it. Third unit, more information and about 6 photo assignments. Units 4-6 are the more "advanced" units. You'll have comprehension tests, and photo projects for each unit.

Anyway my point is, I think if you're on the payment plan they wait a few payments to send you unit 2. If you can swing it, you'll save a ton of money paying upfront, and you get those bonus items. I am really enjoying the school. The audios are sometimes painful to listen to, because Misty Rice says "uhhhhhhhh and ummmmmmmm uh yeah!" about every other word. However, the dean's not as abnoxious. No in-so-far, the audio isn't really telling you much that the lesson doesn't. Now the video on the other hand is quite nice. Don Sheff does a great job (I believe the DVD's are just rehashes of their old VHS's, but definitely better than the audio) as does Chris Delaney. The first 3 units videos will seem rather basic, but keep your eye open for the pointers. Unit 4 has Monte Zucker, and if you google this guy he's basically a genius (was, I should say poor guy passed not too long ago), and I believe unit 5 has Monte on the DVD as well.

I've got the Unit 1 and 2 photo projects done and sent in. I've got the tests all through unit 1-4 done, and the audio+video watched/listened to also.

You get a student card which gives you a student discount at places that accept it. Paul C. Buff's store does. I just bought 3 Cybersync receivers and a transmitter, and it saved me 27 bucks. When I buy my AB800's, it'll save me another 50 bucks for 2 of them. Let's just put it this way, the discount will almost pay for the school as you slowly build your photographic gears up.

While some of the materials are quite dated, photographic principles remain constant. Light is light, exposure is exposure. My only real complaint is the audios, and the focus on film in the lessons. Though most of the film lessons are optional, they are still redundant. Unless there;s some major shortage of DSLR's, I'm probably never going to shoot film again in my lifetime.

Mar 07, 2009 at 11:29 PM
ben_moffatt
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NYIP

hey keep us updated Im looking at this as well

Mar 18, 2009 at 04:23 PM
D Smith
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NYIP

The OP was asking for an opinion, I gave mine, nothing really that off-base about it. Maybe the NYIP has come along in the years that I looked into it, but as far as I could tell, it was right up there with earning your art degree by drawing a pirate and turtle.

If you learn from an experienced professional. ie mentor, you will learn more valuable and concentrated information from someone who has been there and did all the trial and error for you. An accomplished mentor will teach you right from wrong in situations that no classroom, much less an online course, can teach you. You also can learn how to use your tools properly, something that is very hard to do inside most classrooms as I have found many instructors to be quite behind on current technology.

Work as a second, a stringer, whatever. Either way, by the time your peers finish the course, you'll be leagues ahead, IMO

RobertLynn wrote:
This guy is off base here.

I don't know how you are financially but let me give you a pointer.

I wanted to sign up, but I wanted to research them out a bit. So I took a week to research. At the time I looked it was $748 for the cost of the school if you paid in full. You also got a 40some out inch 5n1, a nice shoulder bag (for reflector, cds, info pads, whatever you want, really a nice bag) a cheap monopod, a 4gb USB drive, and a cleaning cloth (giant sized).

So I checked back in a
...Show more

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NYIP

I did this course back in 87 or so and it was helpful to me. It made me a better photographer. I learned all about exposure and portrait photography, etc. I also read books and watched other videos too. Not sure how NYIP is today but I bet it will help you especially if you are a novice.

May 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Johnny5liter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NYIP

it will most likely be helpful to a novice. I myself will take the course and take in whatever I can

May 23, 2009 at 03:52 AM

Reneemarie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NYIP

Without reading the other post....

I'm taking the pro course now and my husband the digital short course. I paid in full and after waiting a few months after my inquiry. They sent discounts untill it was discounted to about $700 paid in full, originally $987 or something like that.

In the last year since I signed up, they've updated all of the pictures in the pro course. I'm stuck with some pretty funky and dated 70's images in my course books but I suppose the theories are still the same. I've learned ALOT.

I appreciate how the pro course takes you back to the film science. We've learned how to develop/enlarge B&W which was an awesome experience. We now have a darkroom set up all of the time for when we feel like getting creative with prints or liquid light emulsion.

Anyways, back to the course. I think it's great. It has taught me so much and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it. It does however get a little boring listening to the tapes but only because I tend to multitask and then forget to listen.

I got my D700 and Wacom Cintiq through Ritz with my 7% NYIP discount and saved a couple hundred bucks between the discount, no tax and free shipping.

Good luck!
RM

May 23, 2009 at 04:58 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NYIP

I have done a few classes this way, Betterphoto, etc.and find that while I learned things they cannot compare to an actual classroom. While the instruction content for distance learning may be the same, it is tough to beat working hands on with the instructor and fellow students to get assignment's done. Also, I learn a lot from the critiques sessions. Often the best insights during the critiques come from other students.

As a side benefit I was able to purchase products at a student discount. Being able to get Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium for $600 was a great!

Jerry

PS. The lighting class at the local JC was $95.

May 24, 2009 at 04:40 AM
Reneemarie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NYIP

jerrykur wrote:
PS. The lighting class at the local JC was $95.

Thats awesome! For that price I'd definitely do it. The one I wanted to take here in MA at a local college cost $600. Too much for me.

May 24, 2009 at 01:39 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NYIP

Reneemarie wrote:
Thats awesome! For that price I'd definitely do it. The one I wanted to take here in MA at a local college cost $600. Too much for me.

$600 ouch! Was that a private school?

Here in California we have 3 levels of public colleges. The Junior Colleges (JCs) are the lowest level and only offer associate degrees. The next step up is the California State System which offer primarily bachelor degrees. Above the is the University of California (UC) which offer Bachelor degrees and a lot of graduate degrees.

A class similar to the one I am taking is about $400 through the UC extension.

Perhaps you have something like the JCs near you?

May 24, 2009 at 03:21 PM
Reneemarie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · NYIP

I looked into the continuing education classes at Salem State College which is just a few miles north of Boston. For photography, they only offer credit classes with both of them being 3 credit hours. At least thats all I could find at SSC. The cost is $570 plus lab fees etc.

ART 344 Photography II
ART 346 Portrait Photography

But you guys have sparked my interest to check into other schools in the area. Perhaps there is a less expensive Jr College, but then again, I don't think anything is very cheap in Boston.

May 24, 2009 at 03:34 PM
digoer
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · NYIP

Hi,
I am taking the course now. I love it. LOTS of good info, adn they do not press you to finish quickly. The 1st unit was very basic, the second builds on the 1st and so on. I am on unit 5 now, I have 2 more after that. I have really become alot better than I was in the beginning. I have also picked up some UK magazines that have alot of info in them and alot less ads than ours do here. If you email me I will gladly tell you the names of them. I am having a blast with my photography now that I have learned information that I needed to succeed. I do not understand how people can make presumptions on something they have not taken or tried. I am doing the $45 a month and the course has integration with ther digital course in it also. If yiou would like info please email me.
Thanks

May 24, 2009 at 04:49 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · NYIP

I would strongly suggest taking classes "in person" at a school or institute where you can get real-time feedback. If it is feasible.

I'm currently taking the NYIP course, and while it's useful, I had some discrepancies with the marking of an old unit and it took me 6 days to get a useful response. If this were in the classroom I could speak to a mentor and get an immediate response or learn from discussion with other students.

The real advantage of this course is being able to do it at your own pace and outside of "business hours".

May 26, 2009 at 03:22 PM
sheilar

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · NYIP

I have taken the NYIP Pro and it was well worth it. I also took one college class many moons ago. I can say I got much more out of NYIP because the material was so encompassing and in depth of everything. It was a little dated, but photography principles are pretty timeless I think.

I think the value in what you are paying for lies in fact that you are getting assignments that you have to follow and a professional to critique them. It was hard for me because I always want to shoot what I want and not follow the rules. This forces you to do it someone else's way, just as if you were working on assignment. The other valuable part of the class is the fact that it is a proven plan for accomplishing your goal of learning the basics of photography. You follow the plan and you will learn it. It is kind of like a weight loss plan. Some are good at doing it on their own, but if you follow a proven plan, you know your going to loose. Some need a plan more than others, depending on your personality type.

The real proof that it is worth it for me is the fact that I would be terribly embarrassed at posting images I thought were good, prior to taking the class. For me, the results makes it worth the price.

Sheila

May 27, 2009 at 06:04 PM
bronxjk

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · NYIP

All,

Robert has done an excellent job of representing NYIP. I recently became a student (March 2009) and already am into Unit 4 of 6 units. here is what I have to add: I have been shooting for over 45 years and even taught darkroom as an elective while at CUNY Queens College in the early 70s. I decided to go to NYIP to learn things I might have missed and can certainly say that I have been learning a lot. More on the side of lighting and studio work which i really was never magnetized to. With that said and seeing the results of my work because of the lessons, I am seriously thinking about doing more of this type of work. All in all, the course for the money is excellent for new and "old" weathered photographers that may want to tweak their skills and add another recognized credential to their list. The feedback and critique of the projects have been excellent (I have Ron Cohen as my critique person), the advisors know what the heck they are talking about and Chuck Delaney (Dean of NYIP) is an excellent speaker on the audio CDs and DVDs. You had mentioned Misty and it is my understanding that she left the school, but the current Audio CD does have her speaking on it. I have to be candid though, Richard Martin is the Guru and so is Jerry Rice (no relation to Misty, just a coincidence per my call with Jerry early on). The advisors are very accessible and are there when they say they are there. In my opinion, you are getting way more then what you are paying for at NYIP. In addition, the bonus materials add to the value when you pay up front (which also saves you $$. I paid $898 versus $1198 if paid monthly and got bonus materials that are worth at least $200 retail). I can go on and on but have stated what I think and endorse NYIP!

Joel Klein

Jun 07, 2009 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password