New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Mr.Lindy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

I hope it works well with adapter mount'd lenses too, just like I read the G1 does.

I wonder which will be better if they both work equally well with adapted mount lenses, old 2008 G1 or new 2009 G1 HD? :

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030316lumixgh1handson.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030315panasoniclumixdmcgh1.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030314panasonic14-140mmhd.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030313panasonic7-14mm.asp

I've added the G1 review for comparision:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

Mar 03, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

I wonder if that record button can be re-programmed to some other function for those who will rarely or ever use the film mode?

Mar 03, 2009 at 12:54 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

then why not get the G1? if you aren't going to use the video capability, i don't see anything in the specs on paper that suggest the new camera is a lot better when used just as a still camera.

Herb....

Mar 03, 2009 at 01:16 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Looks like a pretty interesting camera. I need to do short, web quality videos three times a year and each time it is a struggle to remember where all of the controls on the GL1 are and what they do. This might serve that purpose well in addition to its main role as a small walk around camera.

Mar 03, 2009 at 01:20 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

if it is the same ... sure ... the old G-1 then ... but if there are any menu or operational refinements or IQ chages then the new one may be worth getting. I like the button location ... but would like it for non video. For videos a $150 camcorder is fine for me and does the job better.

Mar 03, 2009 at 01:24 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

The new lenses seem nice, but does it not seem like there is quite a large size difference in the 7-14?

Mar 03, 2009 at 01:25 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

HerbChong wrote:
then why not get the G1? if you aren't going to use the video capability, i don't see anything in the specs on paper that suggest the new camera is a lot better when used just as a still camera.

Herb....

The GH1 is 12MP in all aspect ratios due to the use of a 14MP multi-format sensor and maintains a consistent diagonal AoV in all crop modes (works just like the LX3). The G1 is only 12MP in 4:3 mode, it becomes 10MP in 3:2 and 9MP in 16:9 and the diagonal AoV changes in each crop mode. That could be a significant advantage if you take advantage of the multiple aspect ratios.

Mar 03, 2009 at 03:52 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

i crop in post processing.

Herb...

Mar 03, 2009 at 03:54 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Pavel wrote:
The new lenses seem nice, but does it not seem like there is quite a large size difference in the 7-14?

Well, it's bloody tiny in comparison to the ZD 7-14 f4.

G is 70 x 83mm
ZD is 86.5 x 119.5mm

Diameter first in both cases. G is 16/12 with 4 ED and 2 Aspherical elements. ZD is 18/12 with 1 Aspherical, 1 ED Aspherical, 1 ED and 2 Super ED elements.

Mar 03, 2009 at 03:57 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

HerbChong wrote:
i crop in post processing.

Herb...

I take advantage of the viewfinder's ability to switch aspect ratios.

Mar 03, 2009 at 03:58 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Looks good to me. The video feature is a nice bonus. Lenses look good too. Hmmm...do I need my XSi anymore and all those pesky adapted lenses?

Mar 03, 2009 at 04:06 PM
pascal03
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

If the G VS 7-14mm f4.0 is anything like the ZD 7-14mm f4.0, it will surely be a stellar performer.... things are getting a bit more interesting in the world of compact digital cameras.

Anyone know how much the new 7-14mm f4.0 will retail for - street price ?

The real deal will be that tiny 20mm f1.7 lens micro 4/3rds has on the roadmap.

Mar 03, 2009 at 04:23 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

my cropping is seldom centered. i expect my lenses to be good enough so that it doesn't matter how i crop. the corners have to be sharp and i use the maximum sensor area to give me the maximum flexibility in deciding the appropriate composition after the fact if i want.

Herb...

mawz wrote:
I take advantage of the viewfinder's ability to switch aspect ratios.

Mar 03, 2009 at 05:12 PM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

I think Panasonic should work on making a pocketable m43 camera. Otherwise, there's not enough difference in size between their m43 cameras and small DSLRs to make a huge difference in the marketplace. Nor are their two m43 offerings so far cheap enough to appeal to most soccer moms.

Mar 03, 2009 at 07:55 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

The panasonic is as small as a camera can be while still not suffering at the hands of horid ergos. And when one holds the G1 ... it is a HUGE difference in size. Huge ... in how small it is.
Very likely the harbinger of the of the photographic future.

Mar 03, 2009 at 08:14 PM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Pavel wrote:
The panasonic is as small as a camera can be while still not suffering at the hands of horid ergos. And when one holds the G1 ... it is a HUGE difference in size. Huge ... in how small it is.
Very likely the harbinger of the of the photographic future.

I disagree. The G1 (which I have held) is really not much smaller than something like the E-420. In fact I submit that it is not smaller than other small DSLRs like the 450D in a way that actually makes a functional difference, since it is not pocketable. A pocketable camera need not suffer from horrid ergos. I want a pocketable cam with great image quality and interchangeable lenses.

I believe this fact-- that the G1 does not offer enough of a size difference to make it compelling on that basis-- is why the G1 is currently not taking the world by storm. It is a niche camera. A pocketable camera with great image quality and interchangeable lenses would have broader appeal.

Mar 03, 2009 at 08:22 PM
picnic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

I've said this before---put a lens on a 400D or any of the small DSLRs and put a lens on the G1--very large difference. The body is somewhat smaller but the whole idea is that the LENS--which completes the package--is very small due to the mirror less body. It was never meant to be pocketable AFAIK---however, for a woman it is certainly handbaggable LOL. What's so nice is carrying it with the 14-45, small wrist strap only--you hardly know you are carrying a camera with a FL range of 28-90. I also use small FD primes on it---still small--MUCH smaller than my 400D/XTi with a 50 f/1.4 or 28 f/1.8f (and if you are using it as a complementary camera to something like my 5D--boy it seems like a HUGE difference).

I think it isn't taking the world by storm because no one can handle it in stores--poor marketing I guess--or difficulty getting shelf space in box stores. It will require yet another lens system to sell it and so far hasn't made its mark and it will be difficult to get stores to handle it unless it does take off. I don't think it ever will be a huge seller, but it will likely make some inroads if reviewers various places play it up.

Diane

Mar 03, 2009 at 08:45 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

Agreed, Diane. The G1 (and E-410) are smaller when you look at JUST the body, but when you complete the package is when you notice the real size difference. Check out the comparison image from Imaging Resource's G1 review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1A.HTM

The cameras aren't lined up quite the same, but you can see the G1 is considerably smaller.

Now imagine putting a pancake lens on the G1 that sticks out only a few millimeters from its faux-turret. The entire camera would be smaller than the Rebel with no lens mounted!

I think the size of the G1 will be forgotten if Olympus brings their bar-o-soap prototype to market. At that point the G1 will be the "full-size" body for MFT.

Mar 03, 2009 at 09:11 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

I do know about the G1 being too small. I thought mine looked pretty sexy attached to my Canon 150-600L FD lens, mounted on a tripod. The setup was so light I was able to mount it on my Manfrotto Jr tripod and carry the whole thing by the handle on 150-600mm lens.

I think one of the reasons it may not be selling like hot cakes is the 2:1 crop factor.

I don't think I'm in for the new model as I don't do video only still shots and having the other format sizes can be done in photoshop.

But it is nice to see they are continuing to enhance the platform of this camera.

I think most early adapters will be those who want to use alternate glass. Once enough adapters are available it will become a very flexible tool.

Mar 03, 2009 at 09:13 PM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · HD Video Panasonic G1 HD 12mp announced w/ Pixs

picnic wrote:
I've said this before---put a lens on a 400D or any of the small DSLRs and put a lens on the G1--very large difference.

No, I disagree. In fact there is only one pancake available for the G1 so far. It is not much smaller than the E-420 with the 25mm f/2.8 mounted. Put any other lens on the G1 and it is not much smaller than any other small DSLR with a smaller lens mounted.

And again, there's the sticking point: it is not pocketable, hence there is not a real functional advantage offered by the somewhat smaller size of the body or the lenses. You are trading some performance for a small, cute package that still does not fit in a pocket.

The G1 is not a bad camera even in the slightest. It just doesn't fulfill the promise of m43, and fails to offer a large value proposition based on its somewhat (not greatly) smaller size.

Mar 03, 2009 at 09:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.