Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Nic Cleave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

After yet another critical image from a recent wedding being ruined by our 580Ex2 flash unit deciding to switchfrom ETTL to ETL (without our input,) we have sent both flash units back to Canon for repair/investigation.

Has anyone else had this annoying problem where the flash shoots out 100% power for no reason, completely over exposing the shot? (Worse when the camera is in portrait orientation, where I guess there is more strain on the contact between the flash and the body?)

We have had the same intermittent problem with both flash units on 4 different Canon bodies, while an old 580Ex back-up unit still works fine, so it's not a contact or lose connection with the hot shoe area of our bodies.

We have also seen the various 'self-help' fixes and tutorials on the web, and after trying many of them and checking for lose contacts and lose screws etc, can say that everything is as tight as it should be.

I'm convinced that there is a fundamental design flaw with the new locking collar of the 580EX 2, as it never feels as securely connected to the camera as the older flashes with the wheel lock mechanism.

Any other similar experiences from people using the 580EX2 flash units much appreciated.

If canon send these units back with 'no fault found' we are tempted to ditch the much hated Canon flashes for good and move to a third party flash set up instead. Any recommendations on which 3rd party flashes work best with Canon bodies?

Regards,

Nic

Feb 25, 2009 at 04:04 AM
Quan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

i had same problem, sent to canon. Works perfectly ever since.

Feb 25, 2009 at 04:07 AM
Nic Cleave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Hi Quan,

Did Canon tel you what the problem actually was? then at least when I get the dreaded 'no fault found' email, I can ask them to look for something more specific.

Cheers,

Nic.

Feb 25, 2009 at 04:35 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

It's a fault in the design, the new hotshoe doesn't have enough downforce. Sent away twice, at present going through a good stretch..

Feb 25, 2009 at 06:26 AM
Nic Cleave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

That's exactly what I thought. The locking mechanism 'locks' much too easilly for my liking, it's obvious now I think about it, but there isn't enough downforce to keep the contacts of the flash unit connected to the contacts on the hot shoe of the body, especially when the camera is turned on its side in the portrait orientation.

Doesn't look like we stand much chance of the flashes being returned in a more reliable state then does it? What are the chances of asking Canon to replace the new locking collar on these 580Ex MK2 flashes with the old locking wheel of the original 580?? Slim at best I suspect.

Oh well, if the problems persists on their return from the Canon repair centre in Elstree, we'll be looking for a third party alternative. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable third party flashthat works well on the 5D and 5DMK2 bodies?

Regards,

Nic

Feb 25, 2009 at 07:09 AM
Chrono1081
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Might be just the mount on the flash. Mine takes quite a bit of force to lock on and I've never seen this happen. (knock on wood). Once mine locks on its super snug.

Feb 25, 2009 at 07:17 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Nic Cleave wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable third party flashthat works well on the 5D and 5DMK2 bodies?

Regards,

Nic

Yea, the venerable Vivitar 283, you just need to know how to use auto thyrister setup. Not perfect but easily as workable as FEC w/ ettl 2.

I pick them up used for 20 bux USD and have a bag full.

Feb 25, 2009 at 07:58 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Nic Cleave wrote:
Has anyone else had this annoying problem where the flash shoots out 100% power for no reason, completely over exposing the shot? (Worse when the camera is in portrait orientation, where I guess there is more strain on the contact between the flash and the body?)

Once in a while my 580exII overexposes while using it on my 1Ds3. I think there is too much free play when the flash is mounted. Whenever the overexposure happens (randomly), I push and shove the 580exII in the hot shoe and the problem dissappears. I never had this problem with the 580exII and my 5D's. So this makes me believe it is a hot-shoe (free play) issue rather than a flash or body issue.

Feb 25, 2009 at 08:09 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

You can mount the new style shoe on a 580 mkI, I think there might be a market for someone to manufacture old style shoes and offer a service fitting them! You would lose the weather proofing though unless someone can be really innovative. How about lengthening the pins on the hotshoe, I had an idea of adding dots of metal to them but was told that it would cause more problems than it would solve. Also wonder if trimming down the rubber seal would provide less bounce upforce, I don't have a 580 near me to see whether that would make a difference though. BTW Daan, all my problems have been with 5D's.

Feb 25, 2009 at 08:16 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

One of my 580EX mk I has this same problem from time to time. That's one of the reason's I carry a backup.

Feb 25, 2009 at 09:03 AM
DB
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

I've had the same problem. Didn't have any problem at the last wedding I was at, but I've had the problem other times. Too scared to send the flashes in, though, since I have some kind of shoot every weekend!

Feb 25, 2009 at 09:32 AM
fourfa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

had this problem with the 580EXII on my 3-year-old 5D, haven't had it with the new 5DII yet. Seems like the interface between the flash and camera is better supported on the mkII.

Feb 25, 2009 at 02:15 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Check the contacts on the camera, had this problem with a TWO 580's so I found out it was the camera, sent to Canon for repair.

Feb 25, 2009 at 02:26 PM
prostudio
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

welcome to the canon family

its a known problem

at least at my area

i have 2 580exII upgraded from 2 580EX (old model)

it happened to my first 580EXii they changed the flash shoe, happened again they changed the flash, and its it happens in bought flashes often now and then

i cant get how billion dollar company that sells millions of products in the last 10-20 years cant produce a decent flash system

Feb 25, 2009 at 03:50 PM
fotorelic
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

So you've tried the fix at the following site?

http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/speedlite-580ex-ii-hotshoe-fix/

If so, and the problem still persists, and Canon can't fix it, I'd e-mail Michael Bass and ask his whether he would take a crack at a fix, based on your theory re the locking collar force and design. He fixed my problem with my off camera shoe cord in a creative way.

As for third party flashes, I'm afraid there are none that are perfect. Of the ones out there, the Metz 58AF-1 might be close, but people complain about the interface. Nothing is as fast for flash comp as the big dial made to control comp via custom function.

Feb 25, 2009 at 08:05 PM
prof_fate
• • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Use my 580-2 on 3 40ds and a 5D - never an issue, not once, in nearly a year of heavy use.
My only complaint is when the batts start to go dead you get a good flash and then nothing...no 'warning'. I was so used to my Metz with teh beep when it was ready (and my studio strobes beep too) and as the batts wore down teh beep took longer so I was 'warned' that I needed to change batts.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM
prostudio
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

! Warning ! read comment 23

The coroners report stated that the current from the flash capacitor had enough power to fracture bones in the victim’s body and caused immediate defibulation. The shock also probably resulted in brain damage as well

if you don't know to open the flash don't do it! make sure u have the right tools, that the batteries are out and you cleared all power from the flash.

i try ed it and it didn't worked, the screws were tight

Feb 26, 2009 at 02:10 AM
Quan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

i sent it in too long ago, they mailed me back a report along with the flashes but i cant seem to locate them atm. I'll look for it and let you guys know

Feb 26, 2009 at 02:30 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 580Ex2 flash problems?

Yep, the capacitors in even a small hotshoe flash store enough voltage to stop a human heart.

I'm unfamiliar with this flash unit and the mod referenced and if there is any danger but please be aware.

Just a warning to anyone contemplating fooling around in there.

Feb 26, 2009 at 08:43 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.