New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2009 · TS with macro?

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TS with macro?

Is there an old manual focus TS lens (e.g. Oly, Minolta etc.) which can reach 1:2 or more? I'm interested in the Nikon 85/2.8 PC but due to price I want to explore other options as well.

I have an EF system but if I'll find a good one I am not ruling out buying a DSLR from another system just to be able to use it.

TIA.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 23, 2009 at 08:01 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TS with macro?

I use the Minolta Auto Bellows III and lenses with large image circle for TS macro.
Quite cheap way to get TS.

A

Feb 23, 2009 at 08:05 AM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TS with macro?

The 90/2.8 TS-E goes down to something like .3 by itself and it does take ext. tubes and TCs well. I use mine for macro of mushrooms. The tilt is very handy for controlling the little bit of DOF you do have.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TS with macro?

You can get a Mamiya 80mm 4.0 Macro, that has a tube for 1:1 and a Mirex T/S adapter. Maybe not so cheap, but a good alternative to the 90/2.8 TS-E.

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TS with macro?

I use the CZ S-Planar 100/4 (Contax/Yashica mount). It's around the TS-E 90 in cost - if you can find it. While a 135 optic, the image circle equals the 645 format. With a Contax bellows, you have front-standard shift/swing and rear-standard rotatation at moderate extension. Full extension gives 1:1. Works well on a 1Ds. Image below show maximum tilt versus none at full aperture:
http://patternassociates.com/rico/contax/misc/sp100.jpg

Feb 24, 2009 at 01:03 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TS with macro?

First of all I'd like to thank everybody for their suggestions. Some clarifications:

1. The Canon 90 TS-E is a nice default but I'd like to explore other possibilities which are either cheaper and/or will enable me to get closer (hence the 85/2.8 thought).
2. While I have a tripod, I usually shoot handheld. Because of that, buying a body with AS (e.g. 7D, K10D etc. which can be had quite cheaply these days) will have an advantage for me.
3. All these lenses and apparatuses are unfamiliar to me. Can you please give links to respectable sellers which sells them?

Any additional info will be highly appreciated.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 24, 2009 at 03:49 AM
Drew_Persson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TS with macro?

slungu wrote:
You can get a Mamiya 80mm 4.0 Macro, that has a tube for 1:1 and a Mirex T/S adapter. Maybe not so cheap, but a good alternative to the 90/2.8 TS-E.

The Mamiya 120mm 645 macro is supposed to be even better, said to be one of the sharpest MF lenses ever made.

Mar 05, 2009 at 03:46 AM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TS with macro?

The Mirex + Mamiya macro combo is definitely the way to go: it's better and much cheaper than a new 90TS, and lets you use any (cheap, but superb) Mamiya 645 lens as a T/S. I rely heavily on my M645 35mm, 55mm, 80mm and 120mm lenses – all have 15mm shift movements and 10° tilt . . . again, better than any of the Canon versions.

Mar 05, 2009 at 04:19 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TS with macro?

Cheap? 900$ is cheap?

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20317834.html

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 05, 2009 at 05:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TS with macro?

Yakim Peled wrote:
Cheap? 900$ is cheap?

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20317834.html

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I bought one last year on eBay in [mint] condition for about $550 US, before shipping and tax. It's a beauty.

There's one listed now at KEH in [E] condition for $399 US - if you're really looking for one, then this one might be for you. I have a few [BGN] and [E] lenses from KEH, and they're all very nice.

Mar 05, 2009 at 06:27 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · TS with macro?

one thing to consider is that for hand held work, that only the TS-E 90 has an automatic aperture, and for macro shots, certainly anything 1:1, you will be stopping down... and hand held and a dark finder is rather difficult IMO. The Mirex looks way cool to me... but I haven't tried it.

Mar 05, 2009 at 10:31 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · TS with macro?

jcolwell wrote:
I bought one last year on eBay in [mint] condition for about $550 US, before shipping and tax. It's a beauty.

There's one listed now at KEH in [E] condition for $399 US - if you're really looking for one, then this one might be for you. I have a few [BGN] and [E] lenses from KEH, and they're all very nice.

"Excellent" Shows moderate wear. May have small dents and/or dings and slight finish wear. Glass may have slight marks and/or blemishes that will not affect picture quality*.

I must admit that this worries me a bit. I will ask them.

BTW, I just noticed that the Mirex adapter is 350 Euro. It also doesn't sound very cheap to me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 05, 2009 at 04:53 PM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · TS with macro?

Yakim Peled wrote:
"Excellent" Shows moderate wear. May have small dents and/or dings and slight finish wear. Glass may have slight marks and/or blemishes that will not affect picture quality*.

I must admit that this worries me a bit. I will ask them.

BTW, I just noticed that the Mirex adapter is 350 Euro. It also doesn't sound very cheap to me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

KEH's excellent is ebay's Like new. Even the BGN glass I've bought from them didn't have any marks on the glass Plus, even if you do have problems, they are generally really great on exchanging stuff.

Mar 05, 2009 at 05:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · TS with macro?

dirb9 wrote:
... the BGN glass I've bought from them (ed. KEH) didn't have any marks on the glass Plus, even if you do have problems, they are generally really great on exchanging stuff.

That's what I meant to say. [BGN] is fine, [EX] is really fine - no worries.

Mar 05, 2009 at 06:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · TS with macro?

Yakim Peled wrote:

It's not cheap, but it's a bargain. The prices for Mamiya M645 lenses are very low, and their quality is superior. Consider the Mirex as an investment. The cost of the M645 lenses is the payoff. You can get an excellent macro T-S solution for the price of the Mirex, plus $200 for M645 80mm f/4 Macro. You can add a M645 55/2.8 or 210/4 for less than $200 a pop.

Mar 05, 2009 at 06:11 PM
ACElkins
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · TS with macro?

Another option to consider is the Arsat (aka - B.I.G) 80mm F:2.8 Shift/Tilt lens made in Ukrane. These sell new for around $350, I picked one up used for $250 about a year ago and have been plesantly supprised by the color and resolution of the lens.

Suggest purchasing one in Nikon mount and then combine it with a Nikon PN-1 extension tube and Nikon-EOS adapter. The PN-1 should be available for around $35 and will get you to 1:1 with this lens and also give you an extra tripod mount.

Mar 05, 2009 at 06:16 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · TS with macro?

Yep, I recently received my Mirex adapter and it is a "one of" for OM---can use wth yet another adapter for FF Can of course. Thanks to Jim and other Alt Gear&lens forum list members for advice on Mamiya lenses to use. The 55 is on its way to me--can't wait.
Srb-Griturn is making a Mam to OM adapter so can use the Zuiko 135mm and 80 mm macro lenses with the Mirex---they have a large image circle as they were designed to be used with a Oly T-S bellows that never came to market. I will try the Z 50 F2 macro on it but don't have a clue if it will work. I will try the CV 125 macro with the adapter as well but perhaps it has baffles or some such to decrease the image circle--perhaps a pleasant surprise awaits. Whether it is shaper than the super nice Mam 120 f4 I don't know, but the CV 125 at 1:1 has a tad of CA---still it is one of my all time favorite lenses with very sweet bokeh.
Mike

Mar 05, 2009 at 08:08 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · TS with macro?

I am looking for good T-S alternative too. (shift is ok, but tilt is what I want.) Thanks for the info on Mirex and Mamiya. I just ordered a Mamiya 120/4 APO Macro, and waiting for the response from Mirex. I hope this combo would help me a lot on commercials.

Mar 06, 2009 at 12:03 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · TS with macro?

at macro distances almost anything will have enough coverage for movements, even many standard 35mm lenses... think of it this way, when you double your lens to film plane distance, you double your image circle. The problems of coverage are at infinity focus.

Mar 06, 2009 at 12:08 AM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · TS with macro?

I bought an old Hasselblad 120 f/4 Macro to use with the Mirex (and a 40mm). Here's what I was working on tonight for a friend, Keith, who has made a bronze turtle to benefit the "Save the Mary" campaign in Australia (a river they wanted to dam). It's about a foot long, and five feet from the lens, which is tilted slightly to get the flattish turtle mostly in focus, leaving the rock less in focus:

http://gallery.me.com/ord4/100378/TurtleWaterKG4/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/ord4/100378/_MG_1288-Edit-2/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/ord4/100378/_MG_1288-Edit-3/web.jpg

I'm still learning how to master this.
The Mirex adapter is an amazing piece of machining and engineering.

Mar 06, 2009 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.