New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Michael Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Hurrah,
Mine came in the mail yesterday. There is a small "key" which looks like an allen wrench. I think it is to adjust the tilt capacity somehow, but I don't have a clue what to do with it. Any help appreciated.
Mike

Jan 29, 2009 at 06:05 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirex T-S newbie question

I thought the mount was fastened to the unit with an allen head screw.

Jan 29, 2009 at 06:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirex T-S newbie question

The Mirex mounts on the EOS body it the same manner as any EF lens, and removes the same, as well. There is a very small red index dot just on the top outside edge of the fixed EF mount part, at the "bottom" of the adapter. You have to look at the bottom part of the adapter from the side to see it (it lines up with 12 o'colck on the EOS body). The tilt adjustment is the small thumbscrew that's just below the wide flange of the M645 (or HC) mount plate, at the "top" of the adapter. You tighten this screw to lock the tilt movement, and you loosen it to enable the lens to tilt. I normally use shift to slide the M645 mount flange away from the tilt screw before using the screw, as there's very little clearance between the screw and the M645 mount flange above it. There are two thin, serrated tooth grippy-sliders on opposite sides of the adapter, just above the EF mount part - you slide one of them to the right (if you're looking down at the slider) to release the rotation lock on the EF mount, so you can rotate the Mirex around the camera mount - it has 15 deg click stops. The M645 lens release is the little metal tab on the very top level of the M645 flange, opposite from the small M645 lens mount index dot.

I think the key goes in the little allen key hole just next to the tilt lock screw, and it's probably to adjust the tilt resistance. It's not so easy to tilt the adapter when it's just in your hand, but it works well when mounted on a camera, with a lens on it.

It's a great tool. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Jan 29, 2009 at 07:28 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Thanks guys. This is clearly the Mirex adapter capital of the universe. Special thanks for Jim's super suggestions/explanations. The adapter is worrisomely stiff until mounted with a lens on it. Now am working on obtaining a few Mamiya lenses to use on the adapter in the order of usefulness experienced here. I will have another special adapter to mount my macro/bellows Zuikos which have a large image circle--
constructed by Srb Griturn. Thanks again.

Jan 29, 2009 at 08:21 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Whoops- sorry. The mount uses a regular slotted screw driver head. Never knew there was a resistance adjustment on the tilt. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Michael Gordon wrote:
...working on obtaining a few Mamiya lenses to use on the adapter in the order of usefulness experienced here.

Mike,

I most often use the 55/2.8N, 35/3.5N and 80/2.8N, in that order. I use the -A 300/2.8 APO more often than those three in total, but not on the Mirex.

Jan 30, 2009 at 05:34 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirex T-S newbie question

Yep, I remember your previous post, but appreciate the reminder. I have an eye on 3 of the 55/2,8's, one NIB---might be overkill. I have a one of kind OM mount Mirex T-S and can use my OM-EOS to put it on Canon. Mirex very kindly made this but the CFO should not see the bill given the extra charge. I am worried about one of the screws shearing off the spot meter reset switch on the OM4T. (Similar problem with the "OM" Tamron Adaptall2 gizmo vs the "OL".) I'll look at it tomorrow in good light after not having worked 12 hours. Perhaps I can fill the screw slot with epoxy if it is in the way.

Jan 30, 2009 at 08:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirex T-S newbie question

It's as much a reminder to me, as to you. NIB is only overkill if you have to spend a lot extra for it. OTOH, a one-off OM version of the Mirex might be overkill in any circumstance. I don't know the CFO, and I wouldn't tell her even if I did.

Jan 30, 2009 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.