WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2004 · #101: Stereotypography

lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · #101: Stereotypography

Hey, thanks for all of your thoughts... I love to take photos that provoke thought, and its good to see that there was a good debate around my photo. I am also very pleased to have been selected this week for the WA top 10... never thought it would happen with all of the other amazing submissions.

take care, LX

Feb 17, 2004 at 12:40 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · #101: Stereotypography

The fact that this image was selected as a finalist this week is testament to its power of as a photograph. The circumstances surrounding its capture are not really as important as the message it sends, and I think it sends that message well.

Congratulations. You have here an excellent photograph that got some of the recognition it deserved.

Arka C.

Feb 17, 2004 at 12:53 PM
Davenhill
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · #101: Stereotypography

I like it.

Er, no one complains when it's a highly contrived image of an anorexic genetic mutant (a.k.a. a model) sporting unaffordable designer labels, meticulously applied make-up, and perfectly styled hair... taken in a studio under highly controlled lighting... where the best image is chose from hundreds and then undergoes painstaking Photoshop retouching.

Most of us (including myself) do not complain about that kind of contrived shooting... some of us even aspire to it. So I'm thinking this image should be able to squeak by...

Then again, maybe socially conscious political commentary isn't entirely compatible with photography. People might start to question whether or not a culture suffers psychologically from the constant media bombardment of entirely unrealistic body images.

If you start down that road, the risk is that people might start feeling good about themselves just the way they are and without having to buy something. And if we lose our conditioning to look only at unnaturally beautiful people, we might actually start to notice the less attractive, less fortunate among us and start seeing and treating them simply as human beings.

Somehow I think that's entirely incompatible with our current political financing laws.

Then again, maybe I totally misjudged the political message here and the photograph is actually advocating slavery.

Feb 18, 2004 at 02:52 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · #101: Stereotypography

I would never advocate slavery...

Feb 18, 2004 at 09:54 AM
DaveNitsche
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · #101: Stereotypography

Oh boy... I have read some funny comments in my days...

Nice image. Australian cattle dog I believe. Any artistic endeavor that helps get a message across (that actually doesn't harm or foul anyone) is a good thing. Awareness is important. Great image. Got my vote...

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:31 AM
Davenhill
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · #101: Stereotypography

lxdesign, I know you weren't advocating slavery, I was just being silly (hence the smiley face). My entire post was deliberately a little over the top - and not entirely serious. Kind'uv more of good natured tease to those who were criticizing your image for being staged. At least that was how it was meant!

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:27 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · #101: Stereotypography

Hey, ya... no problem.

Feb 19, 2004 at 01:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.