Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

therock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I don't have too many local options for custom frames. I have been told to look at hobby Lobby here in town. they have shops all over the US.

Anyone try them? quality? Price?

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:37 AM
_Rob_S_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I don't use them for custom framing but I do buy a lot of framing supplies there. Every week they have either mat board or frames at 50% off. I get my mat board there and cut to fit standard size frames which I also buy there.

We have a framers workshop which is much more reasonable for custom framing.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM
xjetjock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I too, have gotten custom mats cut at Hobby Lobby. I gave the employee that heads that department several free prints and now get very good (fast) service. I normally mill and build my own frames in my woodshop - not real fancy but they look nice (stained or painted) and are strong. I get my glass at a local glass company.

Paul S

Dec 21, 2008 at 02:15 AM
therock
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

Thanks,

I have no resources for doing any of it myself. I'm looking to frame a 20 X 30 with a little matting in a thin black frame. I'm looking for it to be at least 1" thick or should I say deep.

What kind of price should I be looking at?

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

Hobby Lobby frames are problematical. I made an honest stab at using them, because their sale prices are attractive, but in the end I've mostly given up on them.

One problem is that many of the sizes are non-standard outside of China (I suppose...who the heck else commonly uses 22x28?). The ornate frames appear to be plaster over wood--easily chipped. There are also problems with the corners staying tight.

For my low-end framing, I've been using an eBay source for several months now, as do a couple of other portrait professionals I know. This is a local mom-and-pop framing operation in Missouri that also markets on eBay.

The "auction" style is kind of confusing for framing, but basically you just go to their eBay storefront, find the kind of frame and matting you want, then tell them in a note the specifications you actually want and they'll give you the price. It's most economical in shipping to purchase the mat and frame together.

http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Framing-Factory-Outlet

Dec 21, 2008 at 05:40 PM
therock
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

RDKirk wrote:
Hobby Lobby frames are problematical. I made an honest stab at using them, because their sale prices are attractive, but in the end I've mostly given up on them.

One problem is that many of the sizes are non-standard outside of China (I suppose...who the heck else commonly uses 22x28?). The ornate frames appear to be plaster over wood--easily chipped. There are also problems with the corners staying tight.

For my low-end framing, I've been using an eBay source for several months now, as do a couple of other portrait professionals I know. This is a local mom-and-pop framing operation in Missouri
...Show more

Interesting.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I've used Cheap Joes art supply for obtaining art supplies, mat board, Logan mat cutters, framing tools, etc. http://www.cheapjoes.com/ They are one of the better known on-line suppliers. I've never purchased frames there, but it carries a range of styles.

Lately I've been getting most of my frames from IKEA. The sizes are metric, but standard proportions (e.g. 40 x 50 cm) and quite reasonable in price with a wide range of styles. Since there is a store nearby its very convenient, but they are also sold on-line LINK

Chuck

Dec 22, 2008 at 03:36 PM
mrladewig
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

Hobby lobby is fine if you let them do the custom framing. I've done that somewhere along the way and the framing is well done. The same applies to Michaels or Aaron Brothers. Their prices can be pretty good with a coupon.

Specifically with Hobby Lobby, their frames that you buy off the aisle are rubbish.

And as for the 22X28 size someone mentioned above, its a multiple of 11X14 and happens to be a nice size for a 16X24 print, so its not particularly odd.

The real problem with cheap Asian made frames comes into play when the rabbet on the frame is not to the standard 16th or 8th over size. Then your glazing and mats will give you fits when you try to assemble the frame.

Dec 23, 2008 at 04:15 AM
therock
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

Thanks Guys,

I went by Hobby Lobby yesterday and decided on a frame and mat @ $125.00. Acid free vacuum press and no glass with the frame being a not too wide hardwood. I'm not too sure what size the frame comes out to be as the print is a 20 x 30 and the matting will be two inches.

When asked if I wanted glass I locked up. She had examples on a far wall and I went over to have a look. I decided on no glass because I had to angle just right to see the glass covered one. @ $20.00 a print and an $8.00 remounting fee I am not too worried.

She gave me a 1/6/08 date but said I could expect a call before that. I'll post how it comes out.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I've used relatively 'cheapo' frames from both Hobby Lobby and Michael's, and it can save you a lot of money, with qualifications. If you want to do gallery presentation, forget it. For casual home use, they can be OK, assuming you get a decent piece of glass, which is a complete crapshoot. I haven't had too many problems with the wood frames themselves (including fitting standard mats in them), but some of the glass is simply garbage. Bad garbage...

Whatever you do, if you go this route, don't ever pay more than 50% off the retail sales price. They are almost always on sale, to the point that you should consider 50% off the 'normal' price.

The largest frame I've used from them is 22x28" (yes, it's a usable format), but for a 20x30" print plus mat, I'm not sure I'd trust their cheap frames, so you probably made a good choice.

-Jeff

Dec 23, 2008 at 02:34 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

Oooops, the OP did say "custom frames." I was talking about Hobby Lobby's ready-made frames, which as I mentioned and has been seconded, are less than satisfactory in most cases.

But their custom framing is probably as good as the other hobby stores as Michaels and Jeffery Alans, and about the same price.

I don't know about Michaels and Alans, but our local Hobby Lobby does sell "museum glass" in single sheets that are reasonably priced...as "museum glass" goes.

It is a beautiful glazing--almost perfectly reflection free and yet crystal clear. You have to touch it to be sure it's there. That's because it's multi-coated like a high-end camera filter. Now, if you think about how much camera filters cost per square inch, don't get sticker shock when you ask the price of museum glass.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM
dan727
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone Use Hobby Lobby for Framing

I've used Hobby Lobby on several occasions on gifts for the parents and mothers day. The only downside to hobby lobby is sometimes there is a long turnaround... but this is probably because I typically use them near gift giving holidays. I have always been pleased with the quality.

Dec 24, 2008 at 05:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password