Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

dennisgibson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Does anyone have any leads on any owl sightings in the Boston, MA area? I live south of the city, half way between Boston and Cape Cod. I live in a town with lots of woods and fields and I have never seen an owl in the wild but I'm sure I've walked right past them

Are there any tips out there for finding/tracking them?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dec 16, 2008 at 04:37 AM
Keith R
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Hmm guess Alberta Canada is no where close
a couple of tips though:
- contact local birding community- anything going on they will know it
- owl calling in evening, will let you know whats around Some good CD's out there!
- each owl really has its own specific habitat, so once you know what specifically or type of owl you are looking for, will make it much easier. sorry couldnt be more helpful.

Dec 16, 2008 at 04:39 AM
Bmetcan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Great Horned owls should be courting around this time of year. A quiet walk/sit in the woods around dusk/early evening may reveal some hooting if they're in the area. Open fields lined with wooded areas sounds like some pretty good habitat.

Dec 16, 2008 at 06:36 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Try Plum Island on the coast. Here's a link: http://www.newburyportbirders.com/. If you scroll down on the left side, click on recent sightings at the top and you'll see a daily sightings list. Snowy owls are on the right side, a short scroll down. GHO's have been spotted there recently too.
Herb

Dec 16, 2008 at 01:49 PM
lbuscher
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Dennis drop me a line at lbuscher@comcast.net and take a look at the link below as I got two on Plum and the rest of West Dennis beach
Lou
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157610498742810/

Dec 16, 2008 at 07:58 PM
fishbio
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

One way is to listen for mobbing behaviour. Smaller birds will make a real fuss when they discover an owl. Crows and Bluejays will go after Great Horned Owls: Chickadees, nuthatches, Bluejays, etc. will go after Screech, Saw-whet Long-eared or Boreal Owls.

I would strongly recommend against calling for them this time of year. They live a very precarious existence in winter when they have a reduced food supply. Any disturbance that causes them to expend more energy can be very harmful to them.

Cheers,

Larry

Dec 16, 2008 at 09:51 PM
lbuscher
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

I do not know if you would call their sound a HOOT (Try Link and click sound), as they seem to have more of a bark than a hoot. This is their migration time and I would say most of the ones I have seen have come from the Tundra, as their leg plumage is very heavy for protection from the cold.
Look at this photo of one going away from me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/3090319958_ae862dc583_o.jpg
Here is another good link on their life on the tundra.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/Explore_Raptors/owls/snowyowl.html
This is link for sound

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Snowy_Owl_dtl.html#sound

So far the ones I have encounted have been quiet and quite comfortable looking here on Cape Cod and the food supply seems to be keeping them settled for a bit but I think they will move out more on the National Seashore at the end of the Cape. They are a species of owl that is active in the daytime and most likely found in a marsh or the heavy grass on the dunes by the ocean and all but a few I have found on the ground with two roosting on posts near the beach. About the part on pushing them …yeah not a good idea as like the migrating eagle, they need to conserve their energy for hunting.
Lou

Dec 17, 2008 at 03:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobAmy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Hi Dennis,

Check out franklin park, same area as franklin park zoo in Ma. Usually there is a great horned there in the pines on the golf coarse. I personally have not seen one yet there, but I do not go there alot.

Also, in Daniel Webster Sanctuary in Marshfield, Ma. There are long earred owls there,I have not seen reports yet if they are there, but usually they are there every year. I have seen them on a few occasions. As many as 5. They are tuff too get photos of.

See if any local groups are doing Owl walks, you will learn some areas they hang out in.

PS, you may need a 500mm for the reach

Rob

Dec 17, 2008 at 04:13 PM
lbuscher
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

RobAmy wrote:
Hi Dennis,

Check out franklin park, same area as franklin park zoo in Ma. Usually there is a great horned there in the pines on the golf coarse. I personally have not seen one yet there, but I do not go there alot.

Also, in Daniel Webster Sanctuary in Marshfield, Ma. There are long earred owls there,I have not seen reports yet if they are there, but usually they are there every year. I have seen them on a few occasions. As many as 5. They are tuff too get photos of.

See if any local groups are doing Owl walks, you
...Show more

Hi Rob, I ask about Marshfield and the Audubon property and was told nothing was seen there yet and that was a few weeks ago. I would guess the red tails and harriers may still be around there. Its a tough walk with a long glass. At least for me West Dennis is a nice spot.
Lou

Dec 17, 2008 at 09:40 PM
lbuscher
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Hey Dennis & Rob
On December 21st
Winter Solstice Owl Prowl at Franklyn Park
http://www.franklinparkcoalition.org/
Lou

Dec 17, 2008 at 09:52 PM
Cliftonyte
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

+1 Plum Island, Audubon has a web page of bird sightings, or its an Audubon member in our area. Johnny stewart makes an owl call tape for locating turkeys. You can also look for an owl call on ebay or Cabelas. I was able to call two barred owls this past spring, I have a pretty good call myself. I have a friend who has had good luck hiking the woods at night with a flashlight. There is a guy on here...I forgot his name but he has some of the best owl shots I have ever seen......it was Jodi something up in Canada. He had some tips but I can't remember.
Let me know if you venture up in to N.H. I am near Concord, just off 93 N.
Good Luck
Clifton

Dec 18, 2008 at 03:36 AM
Taylor Yeager

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Dennis I bet if you think hard enough you know someone who would gladly take you to find and owl, ;-)

Dec 18, 2008 at 04:01 AM
lbuscher
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finding/tracking owls in MA?

Cliftonyte wrote:
+1 Plum Island, Audubon has a web page of bird sightings, or its an Audubon member in our area. Johnny stewart makes an owl call tape for locating turkeys. You can also look for an owl call on ebay or Cabelas. I was able to call two barred owls this past spring, I have a pretty good call myself. I have a friend who has had good luck hiking the woods at night with a flashlight. There is a guy on here...I forgot his name but he has some of the best owl shots I have ever seen......it was Jodi
...Show more

Clifton, it's Jody Melanson, an excelent BIF photographer. Best I have ever seen
Lou

Dec 18, 2008 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password