Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

nikongirl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

I was just contacted about doing this type of wedding. Anyone have any experience with these? I was always told that we shouldn't take photos of the Amish b/c they didn't like it. ??

~Val

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:08 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

Did they contact you to photograph the wedding? Don't know why they would contact you if they dont like their picture taken . . .

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:12 AM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

I did one. The bride showed up in a stretched cupboard wagon. **I keed I keed**

~Sam

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:13 AM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

I wouldn't think they're actually Amish unless it's a super progressive branch. Amish aren't allowed to possess images of themselves (graven images).

However, my grandparents were Mennonite. They weren't any more strict than many religions, but I wouldn't expect dancing at the reception and certainly no alcohol.

Conservative Mennonites are closer to Amish (men usually have beards, women wear "caps" - don't know the actual name). I'm not completely sure if they allow photography or not, but I believe they do.

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:14 AM
nikongirl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

We have a large community nearby - most of the women do wear the caps and black plain dresses - lots of buggies around. It's a bit of a tourist attractions here (YES! I live in the boonies in central Illinois!!)
It will be an experience to be sure - I am really hoping to hear back from them!

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:41 AM
Lucky_Dog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

We have them where I live too. They’ve been buying up farms near me (I live in the boonies, too). Around here, they don't allow their picture taken.... one thing of interest (well... not really, lol) they do not finance the farms they buy... they pay cash.

Dec 11, 2008 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jimsokay
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

Sam Hassas wrote:
I did one. The bride showed up in a stretched cupboard wagon. **I keed I keed**

~Sam

That was Very good!

Dec 11, 2008 at 02:24 AM
MarianneDoidge
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

A good friend of mine comes from a Mennonite family. His was actually the first wedding that DH and I shot. Some families, and even some family members, are more strict in their beliefs than others. In his family, the only person we weren't to take pictures of was his grandmother.

The reception was dinner and speeches only. Non-alcoholic wine, no music, no dancing. Dinner though was fantastic. I went to the kitchen after dinner to compliment and the girl who waited our table said, "oh, thanks! I'll tell my mother in law."

This was all in Aylmer, Ontario.

Dec 11, 2008 at 03:44 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

Lots of Amish and Mennonite where I grew up and now live about 30 minutes from. It's true the Amish don't allow their pictures to be taken typically...

...However, as with most cultures, there are members who still make other choices. There are Amish in Lancaster, PA who use electricity for their jobs, have laptops or go to college. So while it sounds weird, I wouldn't doubt that one of them made a choice to have a photographer. Sounds like it'd be way cool to me.

As far as Mennonites go, that's totally different than Amish. Sure there are conservative/old order mennonites, but even they don't have rules like the Amish do.... and most Mennonites are simply a more conservative and peace-leaning protestant denomination. They don't typically dress differently or anything.

Dec 11, 2008 at 03:47 AM
prof_fate
• • • • •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

I shot a wedding last year and I think she was Mennonite. All the handmade clothes, bonnet on the head, etc. She drove a car, worked from home on a computer - so tech and electricity wasn't an issue, obviously. Methodist service if I recall. No booze and they had an irish caterer but his last name was drost, not very irish sounding to me.

One of the most fun weddings I've had the pleasure to shoot!
Bride and her sister

bride

There were a few more kids than at most weddings though

Dec 11, 2008 at 09:03 PM
nikongirl
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

Well I booked the Mennonite wedding! I had a long talk with the couple and just asked outright questions about how it would be different.
It will be in a church, they will have bouquets and be dressed up. Just simply not as fancy. One thing that I found funny (I think!) is that I asked about how I had always understood that the Amish didn't want photographs taken of them. The groom said that the older Amish were still that way - but the Mennonites were most acceptable of this. He went on to say that there would be some older Amish people there and they might turn their head away from the camera. There would even be an old man there that ran of a photographer from another wedding (yikes!) - but that if he says anything to me that I am to tell him that "I was hired by the family to take pictures" and if he still gives me trouble to find his dad to take care of it!!!!
I will for sure keep an eye on the grooms dad all day long so I know exactly where he is! I have a feeling that this will be either a really fun day or a really uncomfortable day!!!!!!
After talking to the couple, I really want to do a good job for them they seem so genuine!!

Dec 14, 2008 at 03:51 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amish/Mennonite wedding anyone?

nikongirl wrote:
Well I booked the Mennonite wedding! I had a long talk with the couple and just asked outright questions about how it would be different.
It will be in a church, they will have bouquets and be dressed up. Just simply not as fancy. One thing that I found funny (I think!) is that I asked about how I had always understood that the Amish didn't want photographs taken of them. The groom said that the older Amish were still that way - but the Mennonites were most acceptable of this. He went on to say that there would be some
...Show more

Hi I'm gald you got the wedding, what an opportunity...

But did you mean that old man ran over the other photographer??!

!

Dec 15, 2008 at 06:42 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password