WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · #322 Decisions

Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #322 Decisions

Have a great week! As always, thanks for stopping by.

Edited on Dec 08, 2008 at 05:04 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2008 at 08:14 AM
vleetj
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #322 Decisions

Great job, Mike. Makes me wonder what the lungs look like after the "long exposure".

--john

Dec 06, 2008 at 08:34 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #322 Decisions

Exactly John. You hit the coffin nail right on the head! Thanks!

Dec 06, 2008 at 08:48 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #322 Decisions

Excellent job as always Mike. I'm sure with your expertise you could add a glowing red tip + ash to the 'cigarette' and a touch of curling smoke for greater reality (I speak from previous experience but no longer partake).

By the way, where do you get all your props from?

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:08 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #322 Decisions

Bill Sutherland wrote:
Excellent job as always Mike. I'm sure with your expertise you could add a glowing red tip + ash to the 'cigarette' and a touch of curling smoke for greater reality (I speak from previous experience but no longer partake).

By the way, where do you get all your props from?

Hey Bill, Thank you. I appreciate the thoughts my friend. I purposely did not have the cigarette lit for a couple of reasons. I wanted it to be more about perception, regret, reflection, and contemplation, one of thought. That and the promotion of blowing ones self up might not be a good idea.

This prop was from an oxygen setup that belonged to my Mom a few months back.

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:28 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #322 Decisions

Superlative lighting, Mike!!!

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:33 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #322 Decisions

AuntiPode wrote:
Superlative lighting, Mike!!!

Hey Karen!!! Thank you. It's tough being on both sides of the camera indeed.

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:39 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #322 Decisions

Hi Mike,

What a stunning, thought-provoking, and emotion-filled shot. When last week you talked about being bored and wanting to reach deeper, this shot sure answers that call. As fantastic as so many of your others shots have been, this is my absolute favorite. It displays your typical awesome technique, but also packs a walloping emotional punch. It shows you could be quite the actor as well. I don't know how to be more laudatory, so I will just end with exceptionally well done. Bravo and encore next week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:44 PM
J Andersen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #322 Decisions

Very creative take om the assignment and kind of scary too!

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #322 Decisions

Awesome shot ... of course, I too want to see the way it would look with the decision already made (the descent, as it were); and the cigarette lit ... but this is excellent. Does he? Doesn't he?

This would make an outstanding series for many other substances too. It's powerful. Addiction is so very much in the brain, you've captured that so well.

Carolyn

Dec 06, 2008 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #322 Decisions

Thought provoking! Out of the box! Creative,imaginative, WOW, you teach me so much from your post.Another incredible entry..Bravo Mike...well done!

Dec 06, 2008 at 01:54 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #322 Decisions

Intense Mike...Simply intense. Steve Spencer also said it well. Guess you were really bored huh because this is far from that.

Steve R

Dec 06, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #322 Decisions

With the oxygen mask he probably thinks "Should I light it now and risk explosion are wait till later?" Well, that's what sprang to my mind when I saw it.

The lighting, the composition, the expression, all great and all compose to an awesome pic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 06, 2008 at 08:13 PM
teglis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #322 Decisions

Mike:

I have to add my voice to the chorus of positive comments. A masterful entry.

-- Rich

Dec 07, 2008 at 01:06 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #322 Decisions

LOVE the lighting. (Hmmm.. heard that before.) And the expression on your face is perfect.
Well done, Mike

Wonder if an "old-man-shirt" might help a bit. (?) You look too young to be on oxygen.

Edited on Dec 07, 2008 at 07:12 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2008 at 04:52 AM
rjs14
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #322 Decisions

Hi Mike. I just stopped by stillzone. I aboslutely love your stuff. Amazing stuff!!!

Dec 07, 2008 at 02:31 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #322 Decisions

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Mike,

What a stunning, thought-provoking, and emotion-filled shot. When last week you talked about being bored and wanting to reach deeper, this shot sure answers that call. As fantastic as so many of your others shots have been, this is my absolute favorite. It displays your typical awesome technique, but also packs a walloping emotional punch. It shows you could be quite the actor as well. I don't know how to be more laudatory, so I will just end with exceptionally well done. Bravo and encore next week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Thank you Steve! I took to heart what you and mentioned last week. It helped. Thank you my friend and I'm glad you like it. You and others helped create it.

Dec 07, 2008 at 07:55 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #322 Decisions

J Andersen wrote:
Very creative take on the assignment and kind of scary too!

Thank you Jakob. Scary fate indeed.

Dec 07, 2008 at 08:14 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #322 Decisions

Carolyn1250 wrote:
Awesome shot ... of course, I too want to see the way it would look with the decision already made (the descent, as it were); and the cigarette lit ... but this is excellent. Does he? Doesn't he?

This would make an outstanding series for many other substances too. It's powerful. Addiction is so very much in the brain, you've captured that so well.

Carolyn

Carolyn! I'm glad you stopped by. Thank you.

I was so tempted to shoot it with the cigarette lit, but youíre right, I did not want to make that decision for you. However I do think it would have been more powerful that his addiction was stronger than the potential danger of blowing himself up. Ironically it would be a faster way to go.

Addiction was going to be the original title but I didnít want to label it as a literal piece. Which would have worked fine, but to me it was more about controlling ones fate. Which again lead to the cigarette not being lit.

Dec 07, 2008 at 08:33 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #322 Decisions

CDalessandro wrote:
Thought provoking! Out of the box! Creative,imaginative, WOW, you teach me so much from your post.Another incredible entry..Bravo Mike...well done!

Carolyn, youíre too kind. If anything I do inspires anyone, it's all worth it to me. Thank you.

Dec 07, 2008 at 08:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password