Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Just curious if any of you lens hackers know if the Canon FD 85L can be converted to Nikon F-mount. I'm interested in a conversion, not an adaptor. I know the Canon FD 35 T/S can be converted as I had one done, but SK Grimes said they need to see the FD 85L to determine if the conversion can be done.

So, what is the difference between the mount of the FD 85L and the FD 35 T/S?

Thanx--

Dec 02, 2008 at 10:47 AM
ulrikft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Let me know what you find out!

That would be quite interesting I suspect

Dec 02, 2008 at 11:09 AM
ulrikft
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/CanonFDn85mmf12Lb.jpg

Something tells me that it would require quite a bit of.. work?

Dec 02, 2008 at 11:10 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

SK Grimes quoted me over $700 to EF convert a FD50L, which is pretty much the same challenge.

I'll be trying it myself, if I can ever find another 50, then maybe a FD 85L. The 85s are more available.

Dec 02, 2008 at 11:52 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

JimBuchanan wrote:
SK Grimes quoted me over $700 to EF convert a FD50L, which is pretty much the same challenge.

I'll be trying it myself, if I can ever find another 50,

Kevin has a few but he wants $725.

Dec 02, 2008 at 11:56 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Theres a few on German ebay (camera-gentleman I think is the user) of both FD 50L and 85L

-Ed

Dec 02, 2008 at 01:42 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Well, the chunk of glass--the FD 85L arrived today. I'm impressed with the build quality. Huge front element. If SK Grimes can't do it, I'll just have to buy a F1 and shoot film--bummer

It's a shame Canon changed their mount and left these beauties to sit on shelves.

Dec 04, 2008 at 10:08 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Indeed, it is a chunk of glass. (I have the SSC Asph. version, which is even heavier)

Like you, I aim to revive it. It will be re-born, so to speak.

But, if SK Grimes cannot convert it to F mount, consider converting it (or having it converted) to EF mount and then use it on a 5D. They are a steal right now....

Dec 04, 2008 at 11:17 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

I finally heard back from SK Grimes. The lens needs to go to them for inspection. I asked about this lens a couple of years ago and they still have not done a conversion since, so it goes to them.

I have a question about the the lens to film plane register. What might have to be done if the FD lens' register is 44mm and Nikon's is 46.5mm? Aside from all the obvious modifications, does the lens need some sort of buildup so it's at 46.5? Or does it somehow need to be closer to the film plane--basically moving the rear element closer?

They charged me $400 to convert the 35 t/s. Hopefully about the same

Dec 05, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Pretty sure FD = 42mm register.

it would need to go closer to the film plane by the register distance. (4.5mm in this case it sounds like). That's a lot on a non-shift lens with fixed rear element. Might be doable... ?

There's a 35 T/S on epay right now for I think $600 (converted to EOS) which seems like a bargain to me... (not to hijack the thread or anything).

Dec 05, 2008 at 02:40 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

42mm is right. Makes sense to move closer to the film plane now.

Looks like the mirror should clear the rear element--it's about 10mm from the mount when in the up position. Element diameter is less than the f-mount opening. Looks promising.

I wish I had the knowledge to take these things apart on my own and do the conversion. SK Grimes did an excellent job on the 35 T/S. Didn't even look like a conversion. They even aligned the movements on the same axis.

Dec 05, 2008 at 03:21 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

$400 for conversion....
Even that seems high...
With another $300-400, you can buy the used EF85L.

Man...I wish the guy I knew in Korea could convert it, but he says he won't.
(he told me it would take way too long, and even then can't guarantee it could be done.)

Dec 05, 2008 at 03:38 PM
Dim.ka_
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Since the FD 85 1.2L has floating element - last lense that stays at the same position all the time - your task to position it as close to the mirror as you can. Even if you do that, the result you can get with 5D (with normal mirror) is like this
infinity focus
f1.2 +Canon 5D

f5.6

You have to shave the mirror just a tiny bit to get the infinity focus on 5D. So with Nikon FF body it will be harder, because there is another 2.5mm

Edited on Dec 05, 2008 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2008 at 04:54 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Nikon shouldn't be any different. While the mount is 2.5mm further out, the floating element will still be in the same place relative to the sensor and the mirror isn't necessarily longer than a 5D's mirror.

Dec 05, 2008 at 05:05 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Adam,

Be wary of being optimistic about this lens's possible conversions to other mounts.

Dec 06, 2008 at 01:54 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

cogitech wrote:
Adam,

Be wary of being optimistic about this lens's possible conversions to other mounts.

Will do. It does look like mirror interference could be an issue with any FF mount, FD was notorious for having lots of mirror clearance (and thus small mirrors).

Dec 06, 2008 at 07:08 AM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

cogitech wrote:
Adam,

The only two lenses I know from FD to Nikon are 35 T/S and the 14L. Looking at the mounts it appears the rear element is the issue ( I'm sure the aperture linkage would be a challenge too ).

I'll post back what they told me and if I decide to spend $$$ for it to be done ( something tells me I'll pay )

Bill

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:06 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Follow-up for this conversion to f-mount. It's do-able. It'll be about a month before they get to actually working on it. Upon closer inspection I should have a price.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

wjlapier wrote:
Follow-up for this conversion to f-mount. It's do-able. It'll be about a month before they get to actually working on it. Upon closer inspection I should have a price.

Just got a call back from SK Grimes. It isn't possible to convert the 85L to f-mount without shaving ~ 3mm from the mirror. Bummer. I really wanted this to work. Maybe send my D300 to have the lens mount changed to FD? Just kidding!

Jan 08, 2009 at 02:40 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon FD 85L Converted to F-mount ( Nikon )--Do-able?

Sounds more like a hurdle than a road block.

In other words; shave your mirror.

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.