FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2008 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much, Nick, my friend! I am always pleased when you like my photos. BTW, the official term for them is pegs - not thumb screws. I think thumb screws were meant to torture people. Yikes!!

Fond regards,

Ende

nlamendo wrote:
Hello Endre,
I like this entry(2nd) better than your first one too. The carved wood scroll along with the wood thumb screws show so much beautiful detail. The lighting is better in the second one, in my opinion. The reflection is super. Very nice work, a strong entry for sure.
-Nick

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:13 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · #321 Strad's Scroll

I'm glad you like it! Indeed, your shot mirrors mine in many ways. Thanks so much for the comment!

All the best,

Endre

AuntiPode wrote:
The lighting and composition of your current entry are quite beautiful. I guess my entry plays "me too" ... in green.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:22 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks, Steve, my friend! As always, I'm delighted when you like one of my shots.

Warm regards,

Endre

Steven Roberts wrote:
You haven't learned from posting two shots yet? You confuse the hell out of us all by having to decide in such circumstances!!! I like the Second one. Probably one of my favorites of all the shots you took of your instrument. Lovely work again.

Steve R

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:57 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much for taking time to comment! I appreciate your kind words.

All the best,

Endre

CPWarner wrote:
I like the photo with the scroll better in terms of fitting the theme. Both are exceptional though. I like your technique. The light is fantastic and the strength of the reflection is perfect.

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:58 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · #321 Strad's Scroll

If I can stop laughing about the minimalist square, circle, etc. long enough to type something "serious"...
I'd thought about photographing just a scroll when I first saw the theme, but the pie presented itself and the violin got a day off.
I liked your mirrored bout shot, but wondered if a scroll couldn't be stronger. I think it is, even if it isn't "all rounded, all the time". Both entries are fine...I think you're making the right choice if you stick with the head shot. No need to crop. You'd need a different angle and different lighting to make an all scroll shot be a winner. IMO

Dec 02, 2008 at 01:37 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Good points. Good luck.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 02, 2008 at 02:08 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks. Jess, my friend! Another thoughtful post. I'm so glad you like it and I'm happy my two comic colleagues on this site - Carrol and Yakim - got you to laugh, as well. I think this shot would make a nice cover for STRAD magazine, don't you?.

Fond regards,

Endre

Photon wrote:
If I can stop laughing about the minimalist square, circle, etc. long enough to type something "serious"...
I'd thought about photographing just a scroll when I first saw the theme, but the pie presented itself and the violin got a day off.
I liked your mirrored bout shot, but wondered if a scroll couldn't be stronger. I think it is, even if it isn't "all rounded, all the time". Both entries are fine...I think you're making the right choice if you stick with the head shot. No need to crop. You'd need a different angle and different lighting to make an
...Show more

Dec 02, 2008 at 02:31 AM
J Andersen
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · #321 Strad's Scroll

That's a good rounded choice!

Dec 02, 2008 at 12:27 PM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · #321 Strad's Scroll

You didn't have to look too far for rounded shapes, did you?
Anyway, lovely and perfect for the assignment

Dec 02, 2008 at 02:35 PM
Adam Woodyatt
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Yet another fantastic shot of your beautiful strad, Strad. Doesn't make any difference to me if you crop it a little like Yakim suggested, both work well with the reflection. I'm just sorry I missed listening to the concert online recently as it sounds as good as it looks. Obviously only in your hands, if it was in mine it would be an almighty racket!!

Personally I prefer Carrol's suggestion as it brings something else to the WA...

...a chance for everyone else!!!

Dec 02, 2008 at 02:44 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · #321 Strad's Scroll

A thing of beauty is a joy forever, and photographing it must be too-- as you so masterfully have demonstrated. Beautiful instrument and stunningly photographed. I love the reflections. Bravo.

Dec 02, 2008 at 05:37 PM
Carrol
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Adam Woodyatt wrote:
Personally I prefer Carrol's suggestion as it brings something else to the WA...

Bingo!
(Of course, then we'll have to hijack Vipermike's entry, and Bev's, and Jim's, and...
Sigh.)

Dec 02, 2008 at 05:45 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · #321 Strad's Scroll

I'm glad you like it. Thanks!

Best,

Endre

J Andersen wrote:
That's a good rounded choice!

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:13 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · #321 Strad's Scroll

No, Jouko, sometimes things are available close at hand. I'm happy you like it!

All best wishes,

Endre

ruuskan wrote:
You didn't have to look too far for rounded shapes, did you?
Anyway, lovely and perfect for the assignment

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:16 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much for your very sweet comment. I'm so happy you like it. Sorry that you missed the concert. There should be another similar one next September and I'll let everyone know. If my violin were in your hands, i wouldn't let you make and almighty racket with it. it's quite possible for a beginner to make relatively nice sounds, with the right guidance.

As to Carrol's suggested replacement... I'm still debating whether or not to replace my entry with it. It's a very tough choice.

All best wishes,

Endre

Adam Woodyatt wrote:
Yet another fantastic shot of your beautiful strad, Strad. Doesn't make any difference to me if you crop it a little like Yakim suggested, both work well with the reflection. I'm just sorry I missed listening to the concert online recently as it sounds as good as it looks. Obviously only in your hands, if it was in mine it would be an almighty racket!!

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:22 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much, Bev, my dear friend! Your kind opinions on my work are most appreciated.

Fond regards,

Endre

Beverly Guhl wrote:
A thing of beauty is a joy forever, and photographing it must be too-- as you so masterfully have demonstrated. Beautiful instrument and stunningly photographed. I love the reflections. Bravo.

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:24 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · #321 Strad's Scroll

C'mon, Carrol. you've got Four 1st place wins under your belt. That ain't shabby around here.

Warm regards,

Endre

Carrol wrote:
Bingo!
(Of course, then we'll have to hijack Vipermike's entry, and Bev's, and Jim's, and...
Sigh.)

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:26 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · #321 Strad's Scroll

I like this much better than the first one, Endre. Beautiful wood grain, and lighting.

Dec 02, 2008 at 07:24 PM
vleetj
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Wonderful shot...much different than your first contribtion (which I though was terrific as well)

How do you get such a wonderful reflection (hopefully not too much of a noob question)?

Thnx

--john

Dec 02, 2008 at 08:19 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks, Jim, my friend! I'm always delighted when you like one of my shots!

Fond regards,

Endre

James Markus wrote:
I like this much better than the first one, Endre. Beautiful wood grain, and lighting.

Dec 02, 2008 at 08:43 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.