WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2008 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Haven't posted a violin photo in awhile. I decided to replace the first photo with the second. I may change it back yet, but I think this one has more examples of "rounded" to it and it was, after all, my initial idea. I'll post the first one below. Thanks for all the input.

Edited on Dec 01, 2008 at 06:45 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM
Hightraxx
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #321 Strad's Scroll

I love the grain in the wood, very Nice. I use tiger mable for one of my other passion of building old muzzleloading rifles, don't know if your violin is made of maple but sure looks the same. Thanks for sharing. Have to see if I can work one of my rifles into a shot sometime.

Norm

Nov 29, 2008 at 03:08 AM
vleetj
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Hightraxx wrote:
I love the grain in the wood, very Nice....

Norm

+1 you really captured the warmth and age of the wood. Nice shot!

--john

Nov 29, 2008 at 03:59 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Cool! What really catches the eye and forms the subject of your photo is the black space, which is pretty amazing when considering the beauty and detail of the violin.
As a violinist, I can't help but study the curves of the bout and the three dimensional curves of the back,
yet that black space is the main draw, perhaps because of the way it's outlined by the bright edges and the accent of the purfling.

[So it's all mirrors, but at least no smoke! ]

Nov 29, 2008 at 04:21 AM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Very cool image Endre,beautifully captured! Carolyn

Nov 29, 2008 at 01:06 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Rich in every way my friend!

Nov 29, 2008 at 09:53 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Hi Endre,

This shot is absolutely beautiful. I always love the shots of your strad, but this one is particularly well done. The reflection is terrific and so fitting for the theme and the color is as Mike says so rich. I think this is my favorite of your strad shots, which is saying a lot. Good luck this week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Nov 30, 2008 at 02:06 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Hi, Endre.
When I was shooting my guitar pic, I wondered if you'd post a violin shot! And, voila! (or should I say, viola ! )
Makes for a nice abstract. Love that grain, too!
Regards,
~ Carrol

Nov 30, 2008 at 03:58 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #321 Strad's Scroll

So glad you like it, Norm. Thanks for the kind comment. Virtually all violins have their backs and ribs made of maple and their tops of spruce. I would love to see a photo of your muzzleloaders. What a fascinating passion. I assume they are more than just decorative and will actually fire?

All best wishes,

Endre

Hightraxx wrote:
I love the grain in the wood, very Nice. I use tiger mable for one of my other passion of building old muzzleloading rifles, don't know if your violin is made of maple but sure looks the same. Thanks for sharing. Have to see if I can work one of my rifles into a shot sometime.

Norm

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:30 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much, John. I'm happy you like it.

All the best,

Endre

vleetj wrote:
+1 you really captured the warmth and age of the wood. Nice shot!

--john

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks, Carolyn. I'm so happy you like it!

All best wishes,

Endre

CDalessandro wrote:
Very cool image Endre,beautifully captured! Carolyn

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:39 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much, Mike, my friend! Your imprimatur is always much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Endre

Vipermike wrote:
Rich in every way my friend!

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:41 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks so much, Steve. I appreciate your high praise. Take a look at the photo I included in my post to Jess. You might like that one even better.

All best wishes,

Endre

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Endre,

This shot is absolutely beautiful. I always love the shots of your strad, but this one is particularly well done. The reflection is terrific and so fitting for the theme and the color is as Mike says so rich. I think this is my favorite of your strad shots, which is saying a lot. Good luck this week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:43 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thanks, Carrol! I'm happy you like it. One of the reasons Strad was so famous was because he knew how to pick his wood for the the best effect.

All the best,

Endre

Carrol wrote:
Hi, Endre.
When I was shooting my guitar pic, I wondered if you'd post a violin shot! And, voila! (or should I say, viola ! )
Makes for a nice abstract. Love that grain, too!
Regards,
~ Carrol

Nov 30, 2008 at 09:47 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Both are excellent shots, I expected nothing less, but the second one seems to me as having a stronger relationship to the topic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 30, 2008 at 02:55 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Oy vey! Yakim, my friend! You cause me more problems. I was afraid someone would comment that the second shot was more on topic. What to do? I shall have to think about that. I'm delighted you like them both, though!

Warm regards,

Endre

Yakim Peled wrote:
Both are excellent shots, I expected nothing less, but the second one seems to me as having a stronger relationship to the topic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 30, 2008 at 06:26 PM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #321 Strad's Scroll

I'm glad Yakim piped up because I too like the second subject much better. The first just seems too "glare-y"/reflective (not sure the correct word here) and the bottom reflection too shakey or out of focus. This second one gives more play on "rounded", with both the tuning knobs, the wood whorls, etc. The bottom one has more interesting composition as well. I'm just not a fan of the line across the middle, centered look ...

Either way, you sure picked a wonderful subject and have done a very nice job.

Carolyn

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Looks as if the violin has pursed it's lips to sing.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:27 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Hi Endre,

The theme is 'Rounded', not 'Curved'. Crop the second one, make sure the reflection is still in the pic, and you've got yourself a winner. Simple, no?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:38 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #321 Strad's Scroll

Thank you for your detailed comments, Carolyn! As you see, I switched them out. I'm not sure how the reflection would become shaky and out of focus since both the violin and the reflection are on the same focus plane with no movement. Be that as it may, I think there are a lot more "rounded" parts in the photo I now have entered.

All the best,

Endre

Carolyn1250 wrote:
I'm glad Yakim piped up because I too like the second subject much better. The first just seems too "glare-y"/reflective (not sure the correct word here) and the bottom reflection too shakey or out of focus. This second one gives more play on "rounded", with both the tuning knobs, the wood whorls, etc. The bottom one has more interesting composition as well. I'm just not a fan of the line across the middle, centered look ...

Either way, you sure picked a wonderful subject and have done a very nice job.

Carolyn

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password