Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

The first entry is still in my gallery + another one I liked.

Edited on Nov 25, 2008 at 02:43 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2008 at 04:28 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

I like it. It's original. Excellent!

Nov 22, 2008 at 05:29 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Very cool James! If he/she is anything like my cat Jinx (which is a spitting image), my guess is that he/she was lying down all stretched out at the time. Cause you and I both know that no cat is this crazy

Question? Did you have this comp in mind when you light the kitty or did it progress into this after the shot? Just curious. It came out great and works well as a complete piece. I like it! but I am going to have to take of a couple points for the slight Photoshop

Nov 22, 2008 at 08:46 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Hi James,

A beautiful and interesting image. I like how the image makes you think. We all know that cats are unpredictable, except we do expect certain things from them such as that they don't like water. That knowledge adds some great tension to the shot. I love how you did the shadow as well. I assume you didn't have a cat actually diving into the water, but the shadow looks so real it really sells the image. Good luck this week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Thanks AuntiPode!

AuntiPode wrote:
I like it. It's original. Excellent!

Nov 22, 2008 at 01:15 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Mike, this cat, Ciara, is the one I used under the umbrella a few weeks ago. She actually is diving, but not into water. I found that she absolutely loves laser pointers, and will chase them almost anywhere. So, I set up a 10 foot ladder in my studio, and made a perpendicular blank about 8 feet up. Set the whole thing next to my light/product shoot table....then my wife shined the laser light on the table...Ciara did the rest by willingly jumping down from the plank (oh, she loves heights too) onto the table to get the laser light. I was really impressed with her form. I believe she is a bombay breed, but she somehow is a mini version...only about 5 pounds at 15 months old. However, she is pure muscle, and none of the two larger cats in my house underestimate her ferocious nature.

As to your question - it is a bit of both. I had the basic comp in mind, but was initially heading toward a stroboscopic shot. When I saw her fearless form, and how graceful she was in her leaps (she did it about 8-10 times) I changed it to
a single shot, rather than multiple flashes in a single image. Background was 53 inch gray paper. So, I adjusted mid shoot, and after the shoot - but the basic idea is still present. (hope that makes sense)

Vipermike wrote:
Very cool James! If he/she is anything like my cat Jinx (which is a spitting image), my guess is that he/she was lying down all stretched out at the time. Cause you and I both know that no cat is this crazy

Question? Did you have this comp in mind when you light the kitty or did it progress into this after the shot? Just curious. It came out great and works well as a complete piece. I like it! but I am going to have to take of a couple points for the slight Photoshop
...Show more

Edited on Nov 22, 2008 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2008 at 01:30 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Thanks for the comments, Steve. Ciara is as unpredictable as they come. Her front legs are only about the diameter of my index finger, but it's like they are made of steel. She goes from cuddly to human shredder in a heart beat. I also think is an actress at heart. When I rescued her from the pound she purred madly, and licked my face - put on a really good show. Now, everyone has to deal with her on her terms. If she is in a good mood she is a great cat...if not, you had better just leave her alone. I put the water in because she is so unpredictable. I thought "she would chase that laser light right into water"...the genesis of the idea in a nutshell.

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi James,

A beautiful and interesting image. I like how the image makes you think. We all know that cats are unpredictable, except we do expect certain things from them such as that they don't like water. That knowledge adds some great tension to the shot. I love how you did the shadow as well. I assume you didn't have a cat actually diving into the water, but the shadow looks so real it really sells the image. Good luck this week.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Nov 22, 2008 at 01:45 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Hey James, Thank you for the explanation! Very impressive

Nov 22, 2008 at 05:38 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Please pardon my French but this is one f***ing super duper pic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Brilliant!

Nov 23, 2008 at 06:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RbrtPtikLeoSen
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

This is brilliant, and will most likely get my vote this week!

Nov 23, 2008 at 01:38 PM
bsteels
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Awesome picture. Nice work. Very though provoking as others have said...

Nov 23, 2008 at 02:21 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Cool Picture! Those black cats sure absorb the light. Nice idea to shoot at night.

Nov 23, 2008 at 02:29 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Wow, what a shot! This is the kind of shot that makes me ask myself why bother with the WA this week. Very nice work.
-Nick

Nov 23, 2008 at 04:08 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

I'm uncomfortable with all this praise. I know Fred allows composites, but this one tips the scale a bit too much into making my minds eye vision via software instead of a camera - IMO. I started with a fair photo (not even good really)...Ciara's leap - and then made it into what I wished it had been. I will be replacing this image, because I know Fred wants the kind of image that is more a straight capture than what I did here. I'm thankful for all the wonderful comments, but my integrity is bothering me about how I got from point a to point b.

Nov 23, 2008 at 05:33 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

James you have created a wonderful art piece but you don't need any fancy post Photoshop with the photography I've seen you do! I commend and respect your integrity my brother! I am working on a re-shoot myself. Youíre not alone.

Nov 23, 2008 at 08:34 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

James Markus wrote:
I'm uncomfortable with all this praise. I know Fred allows composites, but this one tips the scale a bit too much into making my minds eye vision via software instead of a camera - IMO. I started with a fair photo (not even good really)...Ciara's leap - and then made it into what I wished it had been. I will be replacing this image, because I know Fred wants the kind of image that is more a straight capture than what I did here. I'm thankful for all the wonderful comments, but my integrity is bothering me about how
...Show more
Well, I admire your integrity in wanting to pursue a winning caliber image created primarily in camera, but I also admire your ability to conceive and create this image.
So, if you replace it, please keep it somewhere on your web site and point us to the location so we can revisit!

Nov 23, 2008 at 08:35 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

Don't replace it, Jim, my friend! This is such a work of art! All that is PS is the background while it's the photo of the leaping cat that is the real focus of the piece. Bravo!

While you are in a mood of contrition, though, could you reveal how you did the background?

Fond regards,

Endre

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:13 AM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

I agree with Strad and Photon and MIke dont change it. It is digital photography and you did photograph the elements and w/o disclosure I think we all knew there was manipulation. This is a winner regardless of the vote dont change it.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #320 Ciara (Formerly Night Dive)

It is a wonderful creation James but I must say that it is more software manipulation than photography itself. For those of us with much less knowledge and skills it is very difficult to compete against this kind of imagery. It is however a most inventive and imaginative picture that only you can decide on whether to keep for this assignment or not

Best. Bill.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password