Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries
  

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2008 · #319 Time to change!
  
 
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #319 Time to change!


Lets Go Green and say goodbye to incandescent light bulbs …







Nov 16, 2008 at 09:29 PM
CDalessandro
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #319 Time to change!


WOW! Talk about stopping the action...fantastic shot! Carolyn


Nov 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Strad
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #319 Time to change!


OK, John, my friend - you win this week! Nothing is going to beat that. How did you do this - specifically what kind of lighting did you use and how did you trigger the shutter?

Yikes, though - I STRONGLY disagree with the premise of getting rid of incandescent bulbs in favor of compact floursecents. Those things are incredibly dangerous and the toxic environmental impact of those wretched bulbs far outweigh any supposed benefit. Here is just one article on them that I found after one minute searching on the net.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58963

Unfortunately, I fell victim to the environmental mania and changed over all the lights in the house to those supposed energy-saving bulbs. As an example, we have eight cans in out kitchen for overhead lighting and I switched them all out in order to save energy and be "green". Since I could no longer use the dimmer with those bulbs I can now only turn on the light or turn it off. Problem is, in order for the lights to work properly they need to be on for at least 15 minutes at a stretch or they blow out very quickly. I'm in the habit of turning on the lights only when I need them so I was constantly switching them on and off so, of course, they quickly burned out and had to be replaced. I didn't know about the toxic impact of throwing them away so now there are a lot of my burned out bulbs in the landfill. In the long run they cost a lot more, use up a lot more energy, (my energy bill went up as a result of my environmental efforts) and are incredibly toxic. I'm terrified that one of my kids will accidentally break one of them and be exposed to a lung full of mercury. Consequently, I'm going to have to get them all out and replace them with incandescent bulbs again, at least until they figure out a better, safer alternative. Please don't ever do a photo of someone breaking one of those compact fluorescent bulbs with a hammer!

Leave it to you to come up with such a great photo.

Fond regards,

Endre






Nov 16, 2008 at 11:58 PM
mark nicoll
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #319 Time to change!


Fantastic image and the timing well what can i say but immaculate. Dont be surprised to see those assignment wins go up to 4 this week.
Take care
Mark



Nov 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #319 Time to change!


CDalessandro wrote:
WOW! Talk about stopping the action...fantastic shot! Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn!
It’s amazing how many pieces of broken glass were left after hitting the first light bulb, and the second, and third, fourth, fifth…



Nov 17, 2008 at 01:45 AM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #319 Time to change!


Strad wrote:
OK, John, my friend - you win this week! Nothing is going to beat that. How did you do this - specifically what kind of lighting did you use and how did you trigger the shutter?

Yikes, though - I STRONGLY disagree with the premise of getting rid of incandescent bulbs in favor of compact floursecents. Those things are incredibly dangerous and the toxic environmental impact of those wretched bulbs far outweigh any supposed benefit. Here is just one article on them that I found after one minute searching on the net.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58963

Unfortunately, I fell victim to the environmental mania
...Show more
Hello Strad, I hear you! You are so right!
I also faced the inconvenience of the fluorescent bulb delays and am still quite concerned about the controversial reports, but have actually replaced about half of the bulbs in my house (the ones that are not constantly turned on and off).
In any case, I believe that we should try to go green in any possible safe way and that inspired the idea of just banging that light bulb with a hammer!

I used a radio frequency remote to trigger the camera with the morning sun on my left, a white reflector on the right and an assistant holding a black background at an angle to keep it away from direct sunlight.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments my friend…
John



Nov 17, 2008 at 01:47 AM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #319 Time to change!


mark nicoll wrote:
Fantastic image and the timing well what can i say but immaculate. Dont be surprised to see those assignment wins go up to 4 this week.
Take care
Mark

Hi Mark, thank you!
The hardest part was to capture the incandescent filament fully lit before it went off; it usually takes about 0.25 of a second once the air hits it, and then you’re still hoping that it won’t be obscured by a piece of flying glass…
John



Nov 17, 2008 at 01:49 AM
MichAg92
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #319 Time to change!


wow -amazing!


Nov 17, 2008 at 09:49 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #319 Time to change!


It's an excellent shot. I particularly like the hand. It looks to me as a hand of a well kept old lady (I'm not saying that she is, I'm just saying that this is my impression) and the action itself fit the topic very well.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Nov 17, 2008 at 09:57 PM
JHut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #319 Time to change!


Great idea! I wonder how this would look with only the lighting from the bulb. Now THAT would be tricky.


Nov 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



nlamendo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #319 Time to change!


What an incredible shot! Nice work. How many bulbs did it take to get to this shot?
-Nick



Nov 18, 2008 at 04:26 PM
Louis Simpson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #319 Time to change!


Excellent shot John!

I've swapped out most of the lights in my house with CGF's as well. I knew from the start that they would not dim so I kept them out of the sockets that I want to dim and left the regular floods in place.

I replaced them over two years ago and have yet to have one burn out...and I am a constant on/off guy, too (much to the shagrin of my wife and son). They do take a little bit to "warm up", but we have one light in each of the major rooms we frequent that we turn on when it gets dark and turn off when we go to bed.

Due to the other major appliances that suck up kilowatts of electricity, I cannot gauge any impact on my electric bill. Maybe if I didn't use the refridgerator, clothes dryer, air conditioning/heating fan, hair dryer or have three computers running all the time, I might could tell a difference.

The only freaky thing that I have noticed is that we have one bulb in the bedroom that will "flicker" for about an hour after it is turned off. We call it the "possessed" bulb and laugh at it when it happens.

Anyway, great shot, you've got my vote this week!

Louis



Nov 18, 2008 at 08:05 PM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #319 Time to change!


MichAg92 wrote:
wow -amazing!

Thanks for the comments M…., glad you like it



Nov 18, 2008 at 10:52 PM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #319 Time to change!


Yakim Peled wrote:
It's an excellent shot. I particularly like the hand. It looks to me as a hand of a well kept old lady (I'm not saying that she is, I'm just saying that this is my impression) and the action itself fit the topic very well.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Hello Yakim, thank you!
Funny you mentioned the “old lady’s hand” because I had a similar thought, also in a complimentary way; perhaps wearing her grandmother’s ring added to the illusion because my model’s only 25…
John



Nov 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #319 Time to change!


JHut wrote:
Great idea! I wonder how this would look with only the lighting from the bulb. Now THAT would be tricky.

Thanks for the comments, John.
That’s also a great idea, we’ll have to try it; it’d be perfect to capture the lit filament with the right exposure, but I guess the rest would be a total blur…



Nov 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #319 Time to change!


nlamendo wrote:
What an incredible shot! Nice work. How many bulbs did it take to get to this shot?
-Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the comments.
It wasn’t too bad; first I broke one bulb to calculate the time window between impact and the filament going off.
The actual shot took only five light bulbs…



Nov 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM
jban99
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #319 Time to change!


Louis Simpson wrote:
Excellent shot John!

I've swapped out most of the lights in my house with CGF's as well. I knew from the start that they would not dim so I kept them out of the sockets that I want to dim and left the regular floods in place.

I replaced them over two years ago and have yet to have one burn out...and I am a constant on/off guy, too (much to the shagrin of my wife and son). They do take a little bit to "warm up", but we have one light in each of the major rooms we frequent that
...Show more
Hi Louis, thank you!
I haven’t burnt any yet but I don’t have any that are frequently turned on and off either. Endre makes a good point on the possible problems when the new bulbs break…
With a few dozen light bulbs still left to go and so many other factors as you mentioned, it’s way to soon to know what we’re saving in energy ($) and also how much we are benefiting the environment.
I’ll take a look at your “possessed” bulb this weekend and will offer you an immediate solution: my RED HAMMER



Nov 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #319 Time to change!


jban99 wrote:
Hello Yakim, thank you!
Funny you mentioned the “old lady’s hand” because I had a similar thought, also in a complimentary way; perhaps wearing her grandmother’s ring added to the illusion because my model’s only 25…
John


Ah Ha!

I suspected that. That's why I wrote the sentence in the brackets. Please forward her my humble apologies.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Nov 19, 2008 at 07:31 AM
Carrol
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #319 Time to change!


Great lighting, and great capture! I think getting a keeper like this in only five tries is pretty impressive!
Very nice job.



Nov 19, 2008 at 02:21 PM







FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password