Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2008 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

deewaltguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

When I used PWs, I used 1/8 mini jacks on my converted 580 and Elinchroms. I never had a misfire.
I switched to Cybersynchs (to save a few $$) and have never had the issue with them either, but I'm still using the mini cords.
I don't believe I ever changed the batteries in my PWs, and used them over 300-400' without an issue.
If you changed the betteries, I'd suspect the synch cord. I fired my Qflashes at a reception last night without issue as well, but they are 1/8 mini on one end and a household plug at the other, so both ends are solid connections.

Nov 16, 2008 at 01:15 PM
not_an_artist
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I use these Flash Wave triggers..... work just about anywhere....

http://g9chon.com/RS.html

Half the price of PW, but a little better than the ebay triggers.....

My two cents.

Murph

Nov 16, 2008 at 02:59 PM
DustinFinn
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I find often, that for some reason, the PW doesnt sit right in the hot shoe and then I often repositioning it... I've never had misses with the wired connections...

The one thing I've never liked about them, is the channel switches never feel right, I wonder if you've had it come out of line witht he numbers?

Otherwise, batteries (you already said) and antenna positioning and cables, I wonder if it's just dead ?

Shame.

Nov 16, 2008 at 05:05 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

Jonathan H wrote:
Never had a failure, tested up to 450' outside. It's usually a failed cord or actual sync connection.

PC ports are notoriously crappy connections. I'll put a dollar that the PC connection was your point of failure.

A lot of the times its exactly this, really bad sync connections (I think namely on the 580EX II).

I can fire my Profoto pack pretty darn far away, already tested over 400' myself.

Nov 17, 2008 at 03:04 AM
mcarr
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

Yeah, 1,600 ft my butt.... I haven't had much luck at > 50ft. New batteries, different connectors... Go far away, they don't work. Move closer, they start working...

Still better than the ebay triggers, but for what these cost they should certainly work much better than they are for me.

Nov 17, 2008 at 05:27 PM
mpaul73
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I wonder why some are having success long range and others are not? Any ideas. These are not cheap and I expected much better results.

Nov 17, 2008 at 06:08 PM
Sam Obeid
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

They seem to work well Zack Arias of Onelight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2344/2660937634_c85608797b_o.jpg

Nov 17, 2008 at 06:13 PM
DB
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I don't have experience with the PWs, but even with my cheap radio triggers, I find it's the 580EXII that fails before the triggers -- ie I'll use it with my Vivitar 285 and my 580 EXII and the Vivitar fires without fail, while the 580 sometimes doesn't. And if you leave the 580 on for too long without firing it, it goes on standby -- did you check that at all? I need to change that on mine. It's some kind of Cn on it, but I haven't gotten around to changing it. I get the idea that it saves power, but all it's really done is caused a LOT of frustration for me. So just make sure that your flash isn't on standby...

Nov 17, 2008 at 06:29 PM
ksoze2507
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I had the same experience the other weekend on an evening engagement shoot, Downtown, San Diego. Flashes were not firing at all unless I was standing right next to the flash-guns. Later that night at home, they worked just fine. I figured I was getting a lot of interference from stray signals and all of the concrete downtown.

Nov 17, 2008 at 08:20 PM
klam
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

For sure, whichever Canon flash I use as my PocketWizard remote I enable the custom function to prevent it from going into sleep mode.

However, after talking with the folks at PocketWizard they said that Canon flashes emit high enough electromagnetic interference that it sometimes messes up the range of the PocketWizards. They recommended I use an extension cord between the flash and PW to create further distance between them.

I don't know if Nikon flashes for instance have this problem.

Deb Brundage wrote:
I don't have experience with the PWs, but even with my cheap radio triggers, I find it's the 580EXII that fails before the triggers -- ie I'll use it with my Vivitar 285 and my 580 EXII and the Vivitar fires without fail, while the 580 sometimes doesn't. And if you leave the 580 on for too long without firing it, it goes on standby -- did you check that at all? I need to change that on mine. It's some kind of Cn on it, but I haven't gotten around to changing it. I get the idea that
...Show more

Nov 17, 2008 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lucky_Dog
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

sboerup wrote:
A lot of the times its exactly this, really bad sync connections (I think namely on the 580EX II).

I can fire my Profoto pack pretty darn far away, already tested over 400' myself.

They told me at PW Support that the 580EX emits a signal that interferes with the PW's signal. They told me to run a long cord to the flash.... it didnít help me, though.

Nov 17, 2008 at 08:32 PM
mpaul73
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I just found a solution that worked for me.

I had an old pc sync extension cable. So I hooked that up and positioned the PW receiver about 10ft away from my 580ex II, and like magic it triggered from about 200+ feet.

Obviously the 580ex II is interfering.

Martin.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM
gillyohan
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

Need an extra long cord to get the wireless to work? That's pretty lame IMO. Then again, that also solves the mystery of why PWs weren't triggering a couple 580EXII's a couple weeks ago.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:49 AM
mpaul73
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

gillyohan wrote:
Need an extra long cord to get the wireless to work? That's pretty lame IMO. Then again, that also solves the mystery of why PWs weren't triggering a couple 580EXII's a couple weeks ago.

it is a little ironic I admit, but at least it is a solution for long range firing outdoors.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

klam wrote:
However, after talking with the folks at PocketWizard they said that Canon flashes emit high enough electromagnetic interference that it sometimes messes up the range of the PocketWizards. They recommended I use an extension cord between the flash and PW to create further distance between them.
I don't know if Nikon flashes for instance have this problem.

This is a key issue. I have used both ebay and pw triggers. With Canon flashes..it was always a pain in the arse. Changed cords..screwlock pcs, had michaelbassdesigns little miniplug mod to eliminate the pc cords....still it was better but not great. worked sometimes not others. outdoors in humid conditions it sucked with pw and with ebay triggers....

Switched to nikon on Oct. 4th. Have not had 1 misfire yet. Inside..outside...pw's, and nikon flashes. Whatever the difference is....it just works. I was in a church...or more correctly my camera was in a church, about 125' away from me...and i shot via a pw and the remote cord on the camera on the altar....fired every time, thru the door from way back there....
I'm no engineer, but i do know my blood pressure is much lower not having to fight with those damned things any more

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:57 AM
DennisW1

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

mpaul73 wrote:
My Pocket Wizard II's failed me yesterday at a shoot! I had one on my 20D and the other connected to my 580ex II on a light stand with umbrella. It was about 50ft but it would not trigger? I had direct line of sight. I tested it when I got home in the house and from about 30ft through a wall it fired every time! Figure that out.

Any help anyone?

Martin.

If you've done the obvious checks; batteries, cords, channel switches set correctly, and found all to be in order consider the possibility that it may well have just been radio frequency interference at your location.
Every day we're seeing more and more wireless and RF equipment being used, which could have been interfering with your PW's. Unless you have access to a frequency counter its impossible to know what's around you at any given location.

I know it's a long shot but if everything else checks out ok it certainly could be one explaination.

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:11 AM
mpaul73
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

DennisW1 wrote:
If you've done the obvious checks; batteries, cords, channel switches set correctly, and found all to be in order consider the possibility that it may well have just been radio frequency interference at your location.
Every day we're seeing more and more wireless and RF equipment being used, which could have been interfering with your PW's. Unless you have access to a frequency counter its impossible to know what's around you at any given location.

I know it's a long shot but if everything else checks out ok it certainly could be one explaination.

thanks for the suggestion but I found the issue was the speedlite being too close to the PW. They interfere with each other. what a bummer.

Nov 18, 2008 at 04:09 AM
DB
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

Dang. Canon comes out with a wonderful new camera and can't make better flashes? For crying out loud!

The good news for us Canon users is that we can use Nikon Flashes off-camera with PWs. I guess that may be a good solution...

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:34 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

I bought a headphone extension cord last night and tested this out. I was getting about 250ft consistently with my 580ex. Then I took the extension cord off and was still getting 250ft. Weird. When I'm on a shoot, these things are never consistent like they are when I test them.

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:27 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pocket Wizard II's failed me! :(

Thats because you cant replicate the rf signals that are at any given venue. That rf interference will have a big effect on the outcome on the performance of any radio signal device.

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password