Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

I'm looking to get a tilt lens for use in close-up work (to increase depth of field) However, I don't want to spend alot of $$...after doing some searching here, I've found that there is a Hartiblei tilt adapter for Canon EOS to mount Pentacon 6 lenses. I think this is pretty close to what I'm looking for but I really don't know anything about Russian glass (what is a Pentacon 6?). What kind of IQ am I going to get, etc, etc.

So my questions are: Is the Hartiblei adapter with a Pentacon lens the best cheap solution for a tilt-lens and what other 'cheap' options are there for a 'tilt adapter' to mount on a Canon?

Appreciate any help please,
Omar

Oct 22, 2008 at 02:08 PM
Andi Dietrich
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

for close up you might want to look into TS bellow systems and get an enlarger lens. There is also lots of information on the Zoerk and Mirex TS adapters in the archives here. These allow you to use Mamiya and Hassel medium format lenses

Oct 22, 2008 at 04:39 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

I think some kind of medium format bellows with a quality Bronica/Pentax lens on one end and a Canon adaptor would work. I am assuming you are looking for quality if you are getting into this arena. I would be nervous about older Russian glass etc just for unit variation alone.

If you want great tilt and swing then look into the 4x5 world as well. This is a great general LF resource:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

All kinds of clever folks are attaching Canon cameras to LF gear....

Oct 22, 2008 at 06:54 PM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

Omarlyn - it kinda depends on what scale your macro will be? What subjects?

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

Hi, what if I want to make pictures using selective focus, and not close-up ones? Is there any option? Is Lensbaby an option, and if so a good one?

Oct 25, 2008 at 01:07 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

there are well (enough) regarded "Russian" tilt shift lenses for the same price as the new Lensbaby... I know which one *I* would get... but if you are adventuresome, you can go the do it yourself route and use an old kodak folder lens, some rubber etc. and a body cap to do the Lensbaby thing (maybe the lens will be much better though)... personally, I think the Canon TS-E 45 & 90 are among the most beautiful lenses canon makes... though they come at a cost.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:59 AM
Silentlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

I have the hartblei tilt adapter and a load of Russian and Zeiss DDR lenses (Kiev 66 was my introduction to medium format) and I can tell you that when mounted on 35mm system their IQ is not as good as name-brand lenses specifically designed for 35mm system.

Oct 26, 2008 at 02:47 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

jcolwell wrote:
Andi's suggestions are good ones....

JCOLWELL & ANDI...yes, I see what you mean about the tilt/bellows. I'm half-way there...I've been using a Vivitar bellows for some time now with a Nikon AI 50mm f/1.4 lens. However, ths bellows does not have any tilt adjustment (but it is well built) I thought that if I got a tilt/adapter, I could mount it on the bellows for macro and also mount it directly on the camera for conventional tilt/selective focus use.
Now my original question revolved around economizing cost (but still achieving fairly high IQ) Several posters have indicated that Russian MF glass may not give me high IQ on 35mm/FF. I'm thinking that a (screw mount) tilt adapter to mount either my existing Nikon lens or an enlarging lens as suggested might be my most economical route that still yields good IQ. Any thoughts on this idea and suggestions of where/what to buy would be appreciated.

Omar

Oct 27, 2008 at 01:56 PM
januarys_v

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

omarlyn, have a look here

http://araxfoto.com/accessories/

Oct 29, 2008 at 03:56 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

omarlyn wrote:
Several posters have indicated that Russian MF glass may not give me high IQ on 35mm/FF.

But there are Zeiss-Jena lenses made for Pentacon Six system, which is the same mount as the Kiev66 I believe.

The ad on the lens that was sold on the 16-9.net site:

Zeiss 120mm f2.8 Tilt lens for Canon EF: £195 If you've ever looked enviously at the Canon 90mm T/S but wondered whether it was worth the money, this is the lens for you. Not only is in better optically in just about every way, it's less than half the price. This Pentacon Six 120mm Zeiss Jena Biometar f2.8 is mounted in a P6-Canon tilting adaptor that provides 8° movements. The lens is superbly sharp and aberration free wide open, and has produced some of the most detailed full frame captures I've seen, with and without movements. When you're generating 19MB CR2s...Show more

Nov 08, 2008 at 09:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

AhamB wrote:
But there are Zeiss-Jena lenses made for Pentacon Six system, which is the same mount as the Kiev66 I believe.

Yes, and they're very nice lenses, too. I've done side-by-side comparisons of Zeiss Jena P6, Hasselblad and Mamiya M645 lenses on EOS 20D and 5D, for focus distances of about 1.5 and 7 metres (lenses are listed below). When stopped down, they're all fine lenses, with similar centre and edge sharpness (on the DSLR bodies). In practice, my ability to achieve consistent manual focus is the limit on performance, rather than the lens itself, even when wide open. The biggest differences between these lenses are weight and cost. I decided to go with the Mamiya M645 system for my EOS bodies, but you can't go wrong with Zeiss Jena P6 or Hasselblad.

Here's the lenses I tested (but not at maco distances):

Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 45/2.8 N
Hasselblad Distagon T* CF 50/4
Pentacon 6 Flektogon 50/4 MC
Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 55/2.8 N

Hasselblad Planar CF T* 80/2.8
Pentacon 6 Biometar MC 80/2.8
Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 80/2.8 LS
Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 80/2.8 N

...and here's some P6 links that may be of interest:

http://www.commiecameras.com/ddr/p6/lenses/index.htm
http://scruss.com/pentacon_six.html
http://www.kievaholic.com/lenstests2.html
http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm
http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/p6lenses.html

Nov 09, 2008 at 07:51 AM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with TILT adapter for Canon...

I'm curious which camera people are using with these adapter. The newer Canon screens with zoom are much easier to focus tilt. In the field I find it difficult to focus tilt with the older lcd screen. Or rather focus well enough to make tilt worthwhile.
I'm don't have much need for shift or macro/table top work.
The hartbeli adapter looks nice. I've tried there lenses and sent it back.

Dec 06, 2008 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.