Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2008 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Driving around LA at night looking for something to shoot, I found this fascinating scene.

Oct 17, 2008 at 07:23 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Its truly a great capture!! Definitely Urban with awesome lighting. how did you manage to pull that off? Even the lighting on the trashcan.... nice shot

Steve R

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM
gt_me_jon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Great catch and good eye! I agree with Steve about the lighting. Did you do much post on this, or was it straight out of camera? It looks like the lighting was painstakingly set up to get this great shot. Good luck this week.

Oct 17, 2008 at 06:30 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thank you so much, Steve! I'm so glad you like it. It was a lucky shot. i saw it as i was driving in downtown LA late last night. I like taking nighttime shots in LA but they do involve some risk, what with unsavory characters all around while I have my camera gear out. In this case i drove by this scene and immediately did a U turn to park on the other side of the street. This guy was moving around a lot and I didn't want to get him upset that I was taking his photo so I set up my long lens on the tripod in the car and then jumped out to set it on the sidewalk right by my car. i focused it in and then since I always use a cable release i could look elsewhere while i waited for him to return to the leaning position that he had been in several times. As soon as he did, I fired off a few shots and jumped back in the car. i'll address any post stuff in my next post to Jon.

All best wishes,

Endre

Steven Roberts wrote:
Its truly a great capture!! Definitely Urban with awesome lighting. how did you manage to pull that off? Even the lighting on the trashcan.... nice shot

Steve R

Oct 17, 2008 at 08:00 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thank you, Jon. I'm glad you like this.

I didn't do much post on this aside from cropping, sharpening, levels, and a bit of dodging and burning to minimize some distractions. It was the look of the existing lighting that I found fascinating to start with. Bt the way, the trash can was lit on the left side by the ambient light of the bus stop while on the right by cars approaching from quite far away. Here is the color version which I like as well, but I think the B & W is more dramatic.

All the best,

Endre

gt_me_jon wrote:
Great catch and good eye! I agree with Steve about the lighting. Did you do much post on this, or was it straight out of camera? It looks like the lighting was painstakingly set up to get this great shot. Good luck this week.

Image 282032 not found

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

The light pool, leaf and bar silhouettes behind the screen, the leaning uprights, as if the structure is lounging with the subject...superlative!

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thanks AuntiPode! I appreciate your very kind comments.

All best wishes,

Endre

AuntiPode wrote:
The light pool, leaf and bar silhouettes behind the screen, the leaning uprights, as if the structure is lounging with the subject...superlative!

Oct 18, 2008 at 01:14 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Wow Endre, to me, I think the color version is better. Brings out more detail like in his shoes, skin tone/hands, and even the silhouette in the back ground. Either way, a very strong start for us to struggle with this week.

Steve R

Oct 18, 2008 at 03:32 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Stunning! I agree with Steve that the colour is better but I do like the b&w as well. Fantastic shot my friend.
L&P
Andrew-Bede

Oct 18, 2008 at 09:03 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Fascinating it is!
As good as the color version is, I also prefer the BW because it really conveys the dramatic feeling of the moment.
I first thought that you had staged the shot and this was the final one after repositioning the model several times, because of the head marks on the glass!
I really enjoyed the detailed description of your mini adventure last night Endre!
John

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hhski
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Unbelievable lighting find on this. The BW is more powerful to me it accentuates the lighting. I was out doing the same last PM you arre brave than I.

Oct 19, 2008 at 01:16 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Hmmm... Steve. That'll teach me to post both versions of a shot. Yikes! Now I have to rethink which one I like best. So far, it is running 50 / 50 - two people like each. Sigh... What to do? What to do?

All best wishes,

Endre

Steven Roberts wrote:
Wow Endre, to me, I think the color version is better. Brings out more detail like in his shoes, skin tone/hands, and even the silhouette in the back ground. Either way, a very strong start for us to struggle with this week.

Steve R

Oct 19, 2008 at 07:58 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thanks so much, Andrew-Bede, my friend! I'm so glad you like it. Two for color, two for B & W. I still have time to decide but it is a touch choice.

L & P.

Endre

PS i have another story to send you when I get a chance.

Benedictine wrote:
Stunning! I agree with Steve that the colour is better but I do like the b&w as well. Fantastic shot my friend.
L&P
Andrew-Bede

Oct 19, 2008 at 08:01 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thanks so much, John, my friend! I'm so glad you like it. That's not glass in the back. It is a metal grid with little holes. There is even more to the story of some other shots. I'll post another one with a different story below.

Fond regards,

Endre

jban99 wrote:
Fascinating it is!
As good as the color version is, I also prefer the BW because it really conveys the dramatic feeling of the moment.
I first thought that you had staged the shot and this was the final one after repositioning the model several times, because of the head marks on the glass!
I really enjoyed the detailed description of your mini adventure last night Endre!
John

Oct 19, 2008 at 08:04 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thanks so much, Howard! I'm delighted that you like it. Thanks for the input as to which you like better. Now I'm totally confused!

I do feel as if I'm taking my life into my hands shooting nighttime photos in downtown LA. Here's another shot from the same expedition. It certainly is "Urban" but not as powerful a the one I posted. For this one, I pulled into a parking lot that abuts this rear view of some old buildings because I liked how the fire escapes looked with the lighting. Just out of the scene on the left sat two very unsavory characters. Again, I set up in the car and while keeping the key in the ignition I jumped out the door and positioned my tripod. I figured that if either of them got up and started coming toward me, I could pop back in the car and pull away before they could get to me.

All best wishes,

Endre

hhski wrote:
Unbelievable lighting find on this. The BW is more powerful to me it accentuates the lighting. I was out doing the same last PM you arre brave than I.

Image 282376 not found

Oct 19, 2008 at 08:16 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Perhaps you should take a bodyguard with you on these nocturnal pursuits Strad. I think that I prefer the second shot (buildings) which would look great in b/w. I am sure, however, that your efforts will be rewarded whatever you choose. I am curious as to what the sign lower left is all about. Looks like "family pants".

Oct 20, 2008 at 03:52 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Thanks so much, Bill. I'm really happy you like it. As you suggested, here is a B & W version of the buildings shot. Yes, it looks good, but there is only so much decay that I can stand so think I'll stay with my original posting. Yes, that's what it says on the wall - "Family Pants" I have no idea what it refers to.

You're right, i really ought to take someone along with me if I go out shooting the dark underbelly of LA late at night. i have a whole section on my website gallery devoted to night shots of LA so I do enjoy that particular topic. Here is another one I took on that same expedition - this one in Chinatown.

All best wishes,

Endre

Bill Sutherland wrote:
Perhaps you should take a bodyguard with you on these nocturnal pursuits Strad. I think that I prefer the second shot (buildings) which would look great in b/w. I am sure, however, that your efforts will be rewarded whatever you choose. I am curious as to what the sign lower left is all about. Looks like "family pants".

Image 282599 not found

Image 282600 not found

Edited on Oct 20, 2008 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2008 at 08:09 AM
mark nicoll
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Hi Strad,
First to post and a great shot too. Lovely lighting and perfect burning in, hey it was good enough for Ansel Adams so why not. I wish i could be half as creative and be able to visulize a shot this well. CS3 isnt an issue but what i put into it is
Take care
Mark

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Hi Endre.
Fred needs to add a smiley that has its jaw dropping.
The is a fabulous shot! The lighting is Wow! Not sure you could've set it up better.
The silhouette of leaves adds a lot, too!
The color and B&W are both very strong.... I'm gonna have to vote for Black & White... wait, no.. Color!... no B&W... err, color..
Seriously: B&W gets my final vote.
Regards,
~ Carrol

Oct 20, 2008 at 02:34 PM
haymest
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #315 Waiting For The Bus

Great shot, Endre! For what it's worth, I definitely vote for the B&W. Your initial instincts are usually right.

Tom

Oct 20, 2008 at 04:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password