Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

PhotoGunny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

I was going to put I will SSSSStart us off, but Carrol beat me to it with the "V". May or may not be my final. C&C welcome and good luck to all this week.

Oct 09, 2008 at 05:24 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #2 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Great idea, and an excellent shot. I like the black background, it makes the green jump right out. Well done!
-Nick

Oct 09, 2008 at 11:31 AM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.1 #3 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Great shot, beautiful DOF, color, all ... but aren't those twisty bamboo strands manipulated around a pole or something to create that effect? I think that is very much a man-made thing, not quite "nature" ... but do know "nature" is subjective

Wonderful image though ...

Oct 09, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Etadam
• • •
p.1 #4 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Wow fantastic natural (hopefully) effect. DOF, shadows and black background fit the subject very well.

Oct 09, 2008 at 01:03 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

The lighting is superb, and the rest is not so bad as well…..

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 09, 2008 at 07:22 PM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #6 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

nlamendo wrote:
Great idea, and an excellent shot. I like the black background, it makes the green jump right out. Well done!
-Nick

Nick,
Thanks. I appreciate the comments. It is going to be interesting to see the rest of the submissions.

Oct 09, 2008 at 10:40 PM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #7 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Carolyn1250 wrote:
Great shot, beautiful DOF, color, all ... but aren't those twisty bamboo strands manipulated around a pole or something to create that effect? I think that is very much a man-made thing, not quite "nature" ... but do know "nature" is subjective

Wonderful image though ...

Carolyn,
Thanks. I am not sure how the Bamboo is manipulated, if at all. It is currently growing in a spiral without any involvment from me, hence the crop at the top to hide the new growth. You could be right though.

Oct 09, 2008 at 10:43 PM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #8 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Etadim and Yakim,

Thanks for the comments, I am glad you liked it.

Oct 09, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #9 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Michael,
Good idea. I usually prefer to focus on the part closest to the viewer. Also, this would have made both the top and the bottom in focus, and only the middle part out of focus. - Just my 2 cents... a cool entry.
Regards!
~ Carrol

Oct 10, 2008 at 01:07 AM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #10 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Carrol wrote:
Michael,
Good idea. I usually prefer to focus on the part closest to the viewer. Also, this would have made both the top and the bottom in focus, and only the middle part out of focus. - Just my 2 cents... a cool entry.
Regards!
~ Carrol

Carrol,
I will try and reshoot and see what happens. That is why I am here....to get critiqued and help my photography.

Oct 10, 2008 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevie.b

p.1 #11 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

I love the idea, the lighting and the colour. My purely subjective preference would be to have it all in focus.

Well done and good luck with it!

Stephen

Oct 10, 2008 at 06:34 PM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #12 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

stevie.b wrote:
I love the idea, the lighting and the colour. My purely subjective preference would be to have it all in focus.

Well done and good luck with it!

Stephen

Stephen,
Thanks. It means alot to hear that coming for everyone on FM. It is tough keeping up with all the great photographers on here. I am going to attempt a reshoot and see how I like it. Thanks again for the comments.

Oct 10, 2008 at 08:01 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #13 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Even though you can interpret what would be better to see, I think you have captured this very well, not to mention a early post on a difficult theme this week. Nice work

Steve R

Oct 11, 2008 at 02:12 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #14 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Nice idea and a striking image. I do agree with the focus comments.

Oct 11, 2008 at 05:41 PM
mark nicoll
• • •
p.1 #15 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Great shot Michael,
Like the colour and the way it stands out. Am going to take a risk here bit i like the focus at the back. I think if it were all in focus the image would flatten. As to forwards the top and bottom third of the picture would be in focus and the centre third out. If it comes to a vote i say keep it where it is
Take care
Mark

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #16 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

mark nicoll wrote:
Great shot Michael,
Like the colour and the way it stands out. Am going to take a risk here bit i like the focus at the back. I think if it were all in focus the image would flatten. As to forwards the top and bottom third of the picture would be in focus and the centre third out. If it comes to a vote i say keep it where it is
Take care
Mark

Mark,
Thanks. I spoke to a few of my Marines (Combat Photographers) about my other All Focus shots and we came up to the same "Flatness" conclusion as well. I appreciate the comments.

Oct 12, 2008 at 09:20 AM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #17 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Beverly Guhl wrote:
Nice idea and a striking image. I do agree with the focus comments.

Beverly,
Thanks for the comments. It means alot after seeing you submit wonderful stuff week after week.

Oct 12, 2008 at 09:21 AM
PhotoGunny
• •
p.1 #18 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Steven Roberts wrote:
Even though you can interpret what would be better to see, I think you have captured this very well, not to mention a early post on a difficult theme this week. Nice work

Steve R

Steve,
Thanks. Good luck this week to you as well.

Oct 12, 2008 at 09:21 AM
gt_me_jon
• • •
p.1 #19 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Very creative. I love how the green pops on the black, and I also personally like just one section being in focus as well. Maybe just a slight slight increase in DOF would be nice. Also, on a side note, I've heard the way that they grow these spiral bamboo are to grow them in a dark box with just a single hole for light. The plants naturally grow towards the light and the box is rotated on a regular basis to develop the spiral shape.

Oct 12, 2008 at 05:18 PM
Karen Gilligan
• • •
p.1 #20 · #314 Bamboo SSsshoot

Gunny,

Nicely done. I also enjoy the vivid green on the black and the controlled lighting work great. Nice early entry, I believe we all had to reach a bit this week.

Good luck - Karen

Oct 12, 2008 at 09:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password