Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · how to insure camera equipment

greyhavns

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · how to insure camera equipment

what is the best method to insure your camera equipment?
Renters insurance
separate insurance from your renters?
which insurance gives best coverage? AAA, statefarm, etc?

Oct 07, 2008 at 03:18 PM
RochinPhotog
• •
p.1 #2 · how to insure camera equipment

I have not used TCP but have got a quote and heard good things about them.

http://www.tcpinsurance.com/

Oct 07, 2008 at 04:32 PM
greyhavns

p.1 #3 · how to insure camera equipment

i probably should clarify, i don't have a ton of stuff, a 40D, 2 lens. total worth about $3200.

Oct 07, 2008 at 05:54 PM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · how to insure camera equipment

Do you shoot professionally?

Oct 07, 2008 at 08:13 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · how to insure camera equipment

If you don't shoot professionally, check out a State Farm "personal articles policy".

Oct 07, 2008 at 10:21 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · how to insure camera equipment

Just talked to my agent recently and it is a better deal just to list them on your homeowners and they are covered. Unless you shoot professionally then you need a seperate policy. I only have about $6000 and she said as long as it is listed it is covered.

Oct 08, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · how to insure camera equipment

Sometimes it's of benefit to have a separate policy from a different company. For example, here in south Florida insurors are just waiting for any reason to cancel a homeowner's policy. Were I to perhaps make a large claim for my camera gear, that's my worry, thus the separate policy from State Farm. YMMV, of course.

Oct 08, 2008 at 01:14 AM
greyhavns

p.1 #8 · how to insure camera equipment

that's what i had read. i don't shoot professionally. probably never plan to, since i'm a web designer and that's my main profession, but as a hobbyist and occasional traveler, i just want to make sure my equipment is secure.

Oct 08, 2008 at 04:14 PM
gerald1
• •
p.1 #9 · how to insure camera equipment

It is amazing as to how much equipment you can accumlate over time, Camera, lenses, flash, brackets, bags, cables, chargers, computers, laptops, memory cards and other misc items, you may think you only have $3200 but I bet you have more than you think. I don't really shoot professionally, in the sense that I make my living on photos, but insurance is a must. I originally got insurance becuase I do take photos at my sons high school and I purchased it for liability. Needless to say I was not expecting Hurrican Ike to come in and take my roof off my house and cause over 60,000 worth of structural damage. I was so happy that I had a extra policy from TCP and Fireman Funds. They handled my claim very fast and I already have my check and I am working on replacing my damaged equipment . I purchased it for liability but it has paid off with the loss of my equipment. I HIGHLY recommend insurance for many different reasons and consider that you do have more in equipment than you think.

Good Luck.

Oct 08, 2008 at 07:58 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · how to insure camera equipment

Most insurance seems to start around $500.00 or more a year as a minimum. I found insurance thru an association is a lot less ( assume it still will pay in case of loss but under unbrella of the association). Those start under $200.00. I am not an inusrance expert but know some insurance would be better than none.
Firemans Fund has some of those policies.

Oct 10, 2008 at 04:28 PM
greyhavns

p.1 #11 · how to insure camera equipment

for information on AAA, they quoted me $1.75 for every $100 worth of camera equipment. As far as the details, i'm gonna have to look in to how they cover and what they cover in case of loss, damage, etc.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #12 · how to insure camera equipment

I have a separate State Farm policy for only my camera equipment (not professional) and it runs me about $8 a month and I have about 4k worth of equipment.

Oct 17, 2008 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password