Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2008 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Warning: The last two pictures are kind of sad and you may not like to look at.
The rest of the pictures are part of my recent shooting. The first three shots were taken at the local animal sanctuary. The others in my yard.
C&C welcome.
Socrate

Sep 29, 2008 at 08:59 PM
Dave In La
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

stunning over the top images Socrate......so sad the last 2

4, 5 and 6 just awesome....wow

Sep 29, 2008 at 09:10 PM
Butch Cronin

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Ah yes the great American sportsman strikes again.

Sep 29, 2008 at 09:11 PM
Chris Willis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Wow, Socrate, those last couple are pretty depressing. The small bird shots are wonderful, though.

Chris

Sep 29, 2008 at 09:11 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Lets deal with the sad and end on a positive note. It amazes me the strength and resilency of wild animals, I think we have all see mamed animals that seem to do very well with their handicaps, I think Chad posted a duck with heavy damage to the beak, I have images of a seagull with a missing leg and a pair of treble hooks in its beak, I am sure not what any of us like to see, so hopefully this goose is a survivor, thank gooseness he wasn't in todays stock market

The good stuff now One 'hoot' of trio Love the second shot, nice head dress and a sweet BG. Nice pose on the downy, and the right sharpness from the tip of the beak to the eye. Nutmeg Mannikan, such an interesting pattern and such a wonderful presentation, I am guessing that the slighty oof tail was actually from a tail twitch more so than DOF?

And now my favorite That is one very sweet Chick-adee! Nothing but praise on every aspect of this one, overall detail and sharpness, the lighting is perfect and the tonal range outstanding. The BG is in great harmony and the placement in the comp is excellent. So overall for me on this Impressive and stunning!

Karl

Sep 29, 2008 at 09:31 PM
Mr Zoom
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Socrate, the last two pictures are kind of sad
You bummed me out man!

However, you cheered my up when I went back and looked at the rest of the set and I feel a lot better now

Zm

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM
Brenton Biggs
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

This is a very nice series, save the last few images! Its sad that one would let the bird live with that injury, but such is life. Nice work!

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Superb portraits Socrate, the nutmeg and Blackcap are magnificent. Love the pose on the female Downy and Owls are terrific

As to the last two frames, I'm with Karl. The resiliency and stamina of these marvelous creatures under duress is a testament to their strength and the firm grip with which they hang on to life.

Tom

Edited on Sep 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Socrate - amazing woodie and chickadee shots! Those are both top-notch. Sad story about the CG - amazing resiliency though.

J

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Socrate,

Wow! This is an excellent series. The details, especially on #5 is just fantastic.

It is sad to see the last 2 shots.

Thank you for sharing

dan

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Oh Socrate! Once again you bless us with the ultimate in eye candy. 5 is one of those put down the camera you cannot do any better shots. Wow, congrats on the ultimate expression of bird photography. 6 is wonderful and if it was mine I would be so proud but jeez 5 is killer.

The goose is sad, it seems we see shots like this every year.

Another excellent set my friend. Congrats.

Tim

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Great start, sad finish. It just shows who the real animals are. PEOPLE

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Socrate,

you've shown me a new bird species, the Nutmeg Mannikin, which I think is beautiful. So the chickadee & the Nutmeg Mannikin are my favorites.

Now, the CG is rather upsetting, but the resilience of the bird is amazing. I just hope it's not in too much pain. I so wish they could catch it & relieve it from the pain it must be experiencing.

Lil

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM
anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

That first shot with the blue sky and clouds in the BG is soooooo sweeeeeeeeet!!
ALL are great as usual. In fact your shots are always sooo good I'm thinking of not looking at any of your posts anymore. I've helped you all I can and don't feel you need my critiques any longer.

What am I to do now I guess my next project child should be Chad

OK Shasoc > Last images really make me sad I hate to see anything suffer!!

Ant

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:57 AM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Socrate,
Sorry to see the goose left in such a state. Its amazing its surviving like this.
On a happier note the images are superb. Lovely owls, beautiful patterns and pose on the nutmeg and the Chickadee is perfect, can't see how it could be done better. Like your minimilistic color coordinated framing too.
Martin

Sep 30, 2008 at 01:22 AM
GAREN
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Hi Socrate,

Great series with detail, well sometimes I wonder how cruel and inhuman a human can be, very sad ending indeed for the Goose.

Garen

Sep 30, 2008 at 01:33 AM
Nello Milanese
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

I really don't know what to say Socrate I mean words are useless to describe the beauty of these photos!!
Last 2..I really think it has to be some youngster/teen doin' this..kinda' of a bravery thing. I can't imagine a fully grown adult doin' something like this. Havin' said that, the kinda of endurance wild animals have is just mind blowing!

Sep 30, 2008 at 05:42 AM
Johnny Bravo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Butch Cronin wrote:
Ah yes the great American sportsman strikes again.

Don't be a dolt. American Sportsmen do more to support wildlife than any group of photographers or tree-hugging PETA nuts ever have. Get a fact or two at hand before you start disrespecting the american sportsman. Without them there'd be a LOT less wildlife out there.

Sep 30, 2008 at 06:33 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Dave In La wrote:
stunning over the top images Socrate......so sad the last 2

4, 5 and 6 just awesome....wow

Thanks, Dave. I debated whether or not to post the last two shots , but the goose seemed not to be in pain so went ahead and posted them.
Socrate

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Something Good, Something no Good (9)

Chris Willis wrote:
Wow, Socrate, those last couple are pretty depressing. The small bird shots are wonderful, though.

Chris

Hi Chris. Thanks. Depressing is the right word.
Socrate

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.