Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applic...

mufutau
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

I am missing my original Canon CDs and I need to install their applications on my new Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. I read sometimes ago where you can edit the Windows XP registry to include some lines, but I am not sure for Vista.
So, if you have done this on Vista, I will like to know. Thanks.

Mufutau

Sep 22, 2008 at 01:24 AM
Jerry Baxter
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Installing update without having original installed
All those updates are actually full applications. Without going into "where & how", here's the procedure:

Prepare for installing update
1. Open Notepad and write:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]

2.Now save that (as CanonUpdate for example) -where txt extension will be added automatically
3.Rename CanonUpdate.txt into CanonUpdate.reg
4.Now right-click onto CanonUpdate.reg file and select Merge option
6.You'll be asked if you wish to add into Registry -where you choose Yes (of course)
7.Now you're ready to install any update.

Sep 22, 2008 at 01:31 AM
mufutau
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Thanks Jerry. I think this is what I have seen in the past. But does this also work with Windows Vista? well, I guess I will try and see. Thanks.

Mufutau

Jerry Baxter wrote:
Installing update without having original installed
All those updates are actually full applications. Without going into "where & how", here's the procedure:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]

2.Now save that (as CanonUpdate for example) -where txt extension will be added automatically
6.You'll be asked if you wish to add into Registry -where you choose Yes (of course)
7.Now you're ready to install any update.

Sep 22, 2008 at 03:07 AM
musclepics
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

I've done it on Vista... worked.

Sep 22, 2008 at 03:47 AM
mufutau
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

To: Jerry Baxter and musclepics.

Unless, I am doing something wrong. I type exactl text as provided above and then merged it with the Registry which went fine.. But when I downloaded the latest programs from Canon site and tried to install it none will install, I get the following error:

"The Software to be updated could not be found.
Insert CD-ROM that came with your Canon Product containing the following
softwares into CD Drive and then click [Start CD Search]

Am I supposed to do anything else? I even rebooted the PC to make the new registry active. What am I doing wrong? I am running Vista Premium 64bit and I downloaded the Vista 64bit apps from canon site.

Mufutau

musclepics wrote:
I've done it on Vista... worked.

Sep 22, 2008 at 04:05 AM
Jerry Baxter
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

I'm using 32-bit Vista, and I'm not sure if the registry entries are the same.

You don't need to re-type the wording, just copy and paste to notepad.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM
mufutau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Thanks Jerry. I just got that from another poster on www.dpreview.com
So I will also try this when I get home from work tonight. I only see two additional lines to the one you gave me.. Another question, hope I don't have to replace the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ with my actual path or computer name?
Yes.. knowing Microsoft, may be something is different with Vista 64bit. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\PhotoStitch]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser]

Mufutau

Jerry Baxter wrote:

Sep 22, 2008 at 01:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mufutau
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Thanks guys. None of the adjustment to registry work on my Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. May be it has something to do with Vista 64bit.
I will call Canon for new Disks if I cannot dig out the old ones in the house.

Mufutau

Jerry Baxter wrote:

Sep 23, 2008 at 01:05 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

If you just need the programs you can go to Canons website and download them

Sep 23, 2008 at 01:10 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Call Canon and they will send you a new CD for a fairly small charge.
I know it seems silly to have to have the CDs, but it will be easier than
trying to find a work-around.

Sep 23, 2008 at 02:03 AM
mufutau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Thanks to Jerry and all others who tried to help with my problem. If you are running a 32bit application under Vista 64bit, you need to use the following command and added top your registry to be able to install all Canon Update applications without prior installation of the original applications or without the original CDs included with your Canon camera. Thank you all. Look below for the full instructions.

Mufutau

=========================================================
Installing update without having original Canon installed or original installation CDs.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\PhotoStitch]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\ZoomBrowser]

7.Now you're ready to install any Canon update.

Sep 23, 2008 at 04:56 AM
Tentacle
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Alternatively (but with caution if you have no prior experience with editing the registry file) you can run the Windows build-in regedit utility (start->run>...) and start the registry editor. Then you can browse to the exact location and add the entries there.

But be aware that the registry editor is a powerful tool. A mistake there can potentially hose your whole system, so know what you're doing.

Sep 23, 2008 at 05:09 AM
Tentacle
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Missing Canon Original Disks need to install their applications in Vista 64bit

Coincidence perhaps, but I just had to perform the registry trick myself.

So, open the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, right-click SOFTWARE, select New -> Key, name it Canon, right-click the new key, select New -> Key again and name it DPP.

Just having the DPP entry at the right location in the registry is enough to trick the current DPP v3.4.1 "updater" into assuming an earlier version of DPP is already installed. It will then perform a full installation of DPP.

But I'll repeat the warning of my post above: Be careful when tinkering with the registry yourself.

Sep 27, 2008 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password