Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

Edgar M
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

What are your predictions of the new ZE 50mm versus the 50L or any other 50mm for Canon?

Sep 15, 2008 at 08:43 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I predict my 50L will autofocus with much greater speed and accuracy than I could possibly manual focus the ZE. IMO, that is by far the greatest and most significant difference between the two.

Optically I suspect they will be very close at identical f-stops.

Sep 15, 2008 at 08:46 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I love my Ls, but I dare say the ZE will toast it IQ-wise. Let's hope DPR adds the ZE to their 50mm lens reviews, among others.

Sep 15, 2008 at 08:49 AM
ward1066
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I predict the ZE will be sharper at 1.4. I have the ZF(for sale- wink) and had the 50L and they are both very nice lenses. If you don't mind manual focus the ZE will probably be a little bit better optically.

Sep 15, 2008 at 08:49 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

My understanding is that the ZE lenses were designed under the same "character" as the planars and distagons of past, where as the L's have been, since the '80's designed to be high contrast, high resolution optics, especially the version II's for the digital EOS system. This will be the biggest diference between the two.

All in all, I think the ZEISS will be at least as sharp shooting in colour, and a lot more "interesting" in B&W.

Sep 15, 2008 at 08:57 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

^ Zeiss lenses are typically designed for high contrast and lower resolution whereas the Leica lenses are typically designed for higher resolution, lower contrast. So they say, anyway. In my experience with several ZM lenses, the Zeiss glass is fantastic at both. Not sure what Canon's design principles are in this scheme. There are a huge number of lenses based on the "planar" design to some degree however, probably (and likely) Canon's as well.

Sep 15, 2008 at 09:08 AM
Galibier
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

SLR Gear has reviewed the Zeiss 50/1.4 for Nikon F-mount, which I assume will be the same lens as for the EF mount. The Zeiss fares poorly at wide apertures compared to the Canon 50/1.2. Here's the Zeiss review; you can compare the blur index of the Zeiss lens with the 50/1.2 to see what I mean.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1144/cat/98

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

DoubleNegative wrote:
^ Zeiss lenses are typically designed for high contrast and lower resolution whereas the Leica lenses are typically designed for higher resolution, lower contrast. So they say, anyway. In my experience with several ZM lenses, the Zeiss glass is fantastic at both. Not sure what Canon's design principles are in this scheme. There are a huge number of lenses based on the "planar" design to some degree however, probably (and likely) Canon's as well.

Lower resolution? Are you kidding? They've got a ton of resolution...it just so happens they also have a nice hefty dose of contrast too. At least, my 50 f/1.7 planar and 85 Sonnar are extremely sharp and resolve a ton of detail.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Weiyang Liu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

from 16-9's reviews, the Canon 85L beats the Zeiss 85/1.4 hands down.... Maybe it'll be the case for the 50 as well?

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:42 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

Jman13 wrote:
Lower resolution? Are you kidding? They've got a ton of resolution...it just so happens they also have a nice hefty dose of contrast too. At least, my 50 f/1.7 planar and 85 Sonnar are extremely sharp and resolve a ton of detail.

Oh, I totally agree. My experience with the ZMs proves that they have both resolution and contrast in spades. Perhaps the originator of that "quote" was talking about older lenses, or maybe as a primary design consideration or something. But like I said, in my experience, at least with the 25/35 Biogons and 50 Planar that I use - they are quite incredible.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:58 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I would totally expect the Zeiss to kill the L in IQ. However, the L will kill the Zeiss in AF

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

The 50L is a specialized lens for F1.2 thru 2.0 + (as is the 85L). I would expect it would excel here which is what it is designed for. If you want posed shots at F2.8 and above (or of inanimates) you would have a selection of better, sometimes cheaper, lenses to draw from.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:53 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

Weiyang Liu wrote:
from 16-9's reviews, the Canon 85L beats the Zeiss 85/1.4 hands down.... Maybe it'll be the case for the 50 as well?

photodo shows the old C/Y 85 f/1.4 standing up very well to the 85L and as I've said many times mine is certainly in the same class as the 135L which is a superb lens. Resolution on the 5D is excellent and the lens is very contrasty and colours are superb. It's not sharp wide open, but has a nice dreamy look, but even at f/1.7 it's getting very good and excellent at f/2. I'd expect the ZE to be better again.

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:27 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

stanj wrote:
I would totally expect the Zeiss to kill the L in IQ. However, the L will kill the Zeiss in AF

And the Zeiss will kill the L in MF, which is much more important to some people.

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:30 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

deepbluejh wrote:
Optically I suspect they will be very close at identical f-stops.

That couldn't be further from the truth, unless you are only speaking of "sharpness".

The Zeiss will have a different cast, different overall drawing style, different bokeh, different flare resistance, different macro-contrast and micro-contrast, different distortion, different CA, different ...

The only thing similar will be the FOV.

And I am pretty sure the Zeiss has no focus shift issue as the L does (which is not an AF issue, for those who think it is).

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:35 PM
Edgar M
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

My 50L has the best focusing ring ive felt of any L lens ive played with (better than the super loose 85L too imo). Absolutely NO micro wobble at all (back n forth or while spinning). I notice many other L lenses have a tiny bit of wobble (very micro/miniscule, but can be felt; not the 50L)

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:42 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

Edgar Maguyon wrote:
My 50L has the best focusing ring ive felt of any L lens ive played with (better than the super loose 85L too imo). Absolutely NO micro wobble at all (back n forth or while spinning). I notice many other L lenses have a tiny bit of wobble (very micro/miniscule, but can be felt; not the 50L)

Edgar,

I believe you, but have you ever used a proper focusing ring? If so, how does the 50L compare?

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:48 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I'll be interested to see if the ZE is sharper than MY 50/1.2 at f/1.4. Beyond that, I couldn't care less as manual focus is damn near worthless to me, so the HIGHLY subjective qualities like drawing style, bokeh, color rendition, etc, are pretty much moot.

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:52 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I shoot my 50L @1.4 nearly 100% of the time and love the results. The lens has a really nice draw with a look of a vintage lens. Having said that I'm still interested in the Zeiss 50mm for it's manual focus abilities.
Can't have enough 50's.

Sep 15, 2008 at 06:54 PM
jm42

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ZE 50 versus Canon's 50L: your predictions?

I’m not too impressed with the L’s focus rings. The rings of my 24L and 50L have play that even gives them a rattling feeling. Edgar seems to have had better luck. The 200L2.8 ring is quite good however, but the two old Zuiko’s I have tells me that the L rings are not the metallic precision instruments that were common in the past.
So I predict that the ZE focus ring will be better.

But are we talking about a 600$ Zeiss? Is it really certain that a 600$ lens will trash the 50L IQ-wise? I’m thinking that nowadays Zeiss also makes lenses for cell-phones and that a Leica Summilux 1.4 is about 3500$.?

Sep 16, 2008 at 01:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.