New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Picasa vs Irfanview

alvit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Picasa vs Irfanview

Friends of mine want enter the pictures world, LR it's too complicated and expensive , may be picasa or irfanview can do the job, but which one?

Sep 11, 2008 at 01:13 PM
mgutman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Picasa vs Irfanview

Both are free programs, but Picasa is an excellent starting point. I don't see why both couldn't be tried in parallel but if I had to start somewhere it would be Picasa.

YMMV

Sep 11, 2008 at 03:30 PM
Jerry Baxter
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Picasa vs Irfanview

He also can try

http://get.live.com/photogallery/overview

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:53 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Picasa vs Irfanview

Not familiar with Picassa, but I've been using Irfanview for over 9 years and can vouch for this gem. It can also use PS filters which is cool (for those special effects that only plugins can perform). The basics are pretty good too (auto-adjust color, and also image enhancement capabilities). Launches very quickly as well; it's my main image viewer because of that.

I will add that I paid $15 for this gem since I used it at work at that time, but it is 100% free for personal use. I've had email contact with Irfan Skiljan and he has helped me with certain things in the past. The current version is so much better then the version I first it those many years ago. Also, even now, I get an email from them when an update becomes available. How's that for support.

Sep 11, 2008 at 05:53 PM
AJ Nadershahi
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Picasa vs Irfanview

Adobe Elements might suit them better as an easier to use product with a much more reasonable license fee.

Personally I think Picasa is a great way to get into photography as it does a fine job of image/file management, specially if you think of it as a lightweight DAM product. Plus it's basic editing features are very intuitive.

I also like to use and have been a big fan of Irfanview, but consider Picasa a better way to start because of its friendlier interface and image management fiend

Sep 12, 2008 at 02:26 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.