Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · #308 Button Shoes

Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · #308 Button Shoes

My mom got these about 20 years ago from an antique store. God only knows when they were made. I could not find any info on them. They even had rubbers with them. The shoes were made by The Colorado Supply Company-HARD KNOX- Pueblo, Colo. I had to laugh, the rubbers were made by Goodyear. hee hee

NIKON D80    58mm    f/8.0    1/2s    100 ISO    -2.3 EV  

Edited on Aug 29, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #2 · #308 Button Shoes

Love the rich feel of the colors and tones of this image. I was drawn to it right away in the thumbnails.
Nice light, and excellent set-up with the wood base and background.
~ Carrol
ps - yea! you're back.

Aug 29, 2008 at 02:25 PM
Greg Underwood
• •
p.1 #3 · #308 Button Shoes

Is a discussion of rubbers appropriate for this forum?

ps. Cool lighting

Edited on Aug 29, 2008 at 08:32 PM

Aug 29, 2008 at 08:31 PM
Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · #308 Button Shoes

Aw, gee whiz, Mike! Another 1st place win! Bummer! You don't give anyone else a chance.

Can I come study lighting with you?

Bravo!

Warmest best wishes,

Endre

Aug 29, 2008 at 09:57 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · #308 Button Shoes

The maestro of lighting and composition returns.

Do those Goodyear rubbers have much tread left on them

Cheers

Aug 30, 2008 at 03:30 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · #308 Button Shoes

Great image! Beautifully crafted. Excellent subject. Much to savor in the viewing, and nothing much to criticize.
You've set the bar high!

Aug 30, 2008 at 04:03 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #7 · #308 Button Shoes

There's the gang! It's great to see you all. Thanks for the posts and always your support!!!! I don't feel this shot will hold up that well in the overall. There should be some great images coming in for this WA. I'm just glad I found somthing to shoot and shake the dust off my camera.

Aug 30, 2008 at 08:29 AM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · #308 Button Shoes

You certainly haven't forgotten how to use light, good job indeed!

Aug 31, 2008 at 06:08 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #9 · #308 Button Shoes

Mike, I have been gone as well only entering maybe once over the last 4 months. So busy with lots of life situations going on both good and bad. I commented here and there to a few I knew, but I have to say, that seeing you tonight with your post, no matter the shot, its damn good to see you around again. For that, I may try to find something to enter really soon. No offense to anyone else and their fine work being that I do see lots of old timers being caught up in the work, life, whatever and not being to post as much as usual. There also have been so many new faces holding down the fort that they may need to see the skills of Vipermike!! Good to see you back for the moment.

Steve R

Sep 01, 2008 at 05:45 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #10 · #308 Button Shoes

Hey Steve! It's great to see you my friend as is many of the friends I have made here over the years. It’s great to see new faces as well. I am motivated to shoot once again. My absence is usually due to frustration with my photography, which leads to a lack of motivation. I see the amazing photography work that is put out there and I get depressed that I can't be as good. On the same hand, it is that great photography that makes me pick up the camera and try harder. I hope you do take some time to shoot again Steve. I for one know I feel better when I have my WA's to look forward to.

Thanks for the support!

Mike

Sep 01, 2008 at 09:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · #308 Button Shoes

Hi Mike,

Gorgeous shot. These old boots are just full of character and as usual you lighting is just spectacular. For me it is amazing that you have periods of doubt about your ability to make fantastic photos. Your work is always so outstanding. I certainly have such doubts and need to recharge every once in awhile to regain the desire to shoot again, but I know my best is still far short of much of the work here. Best wishes (you don't need luck),

Steve S.

Sep 01, 2008 at 05:59 PM
DonT
• • •
p.1 #12 · #308 Button Shoes

Mike nice to see you back and nice light!

I was watching one of those “How It’s Made” shows and they covered rubber. I guess Goodyear was making shoes before tires in the 1920’s. I think the episode was on sneakers, but I could be wrong.
Good luck.

Sep 01, 2008 at 08:47 PM
seechelle
• •
p.1 #13 · #308 Button Shoes

Vipermike,

I really like the lighting! The first thing that came to my mind is the title, "These Boots are Made for Walking" - they 'look' like they've gotten high mileage!

Chelle

Sep 02, 2008 at 04:16 AM
mark nicoll
• • •
p.1 #14 · #308 Button Shoes

Great to see you back shooting as the WA has missed your unique style of lighting and imagery. You may look at others for inspiration but you may be shocked to hear some of us look at yours in the same way. Love the way you have managed to capture the texture of the leather and as usual the bgd manages to add to the picture without distracting us from the focal point.
Nicely done ,again
Take care
Mark

Sep 02, 2008 at 01:48 PM
shinysun
• • •
p.1 #15 · #308 Button Shoes

I was looking on the thumbnails and this was the first one I clicked, thinking 'well that person sure knows how to light a shot'. Then the thread opens and it's none other than you. I should have known

Welcome back, great entry!

Sep 02, 2008 at 07:48 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · #308 Button Shoes

Fantastic image, Mike. The lighting really brings out the earthy tones in the shoes and wood. Love it!

Barry

Sep 03, 2008 at 04:48 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #17 · #308 Button Shoes

Hey Mark and Susan! Great to see you guys!!! Thanks for the kind posts. I always looked forward to seeing both your work! good times!

Sep 03, 2008 at 04:52 AM
Chad Schulz
• • •
p.1 #18 · #308 Button Shoes

Man, I thought I had already left feedback on this great photo. Sorry!

I love the humor in this shot. Taking a pair of perfectly ugly looking shoes and turning them into art. Now that's great photography.

A grand entry,
Chad

Sep 03, 2008 at 09:44 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #19 · #308 Button Shoes

Super lighting, great work as usual.
-Nick

Sep 03, 2008 at 07:30 PM
garyroach
• • •