FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       39              157       158       end

Archive 2008 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #1 · p.38 #1 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

And that is the reason why Japanese cars sell better than German cars .... because you get a lot of extra features at no cost. Nikon has gone that route with their D700 and I expect Canon to follow suit .... if they want to remain competitive and reclaim the market share they once had.

jamesf99 wrote:
Every single feature on a camera costs money (some, like AF, is dirt cheap once developed and put into a chip), but other things are expensive like modifying a body to add flash or a 100% VF. I can use that VF every day, morning, noon, and night; regardless of whether I need to bring some Profoto gear or a 580EX I/II, etc. that VF is there for me. It's brighter, it's easier to see what you're doing, it's easier to frame images correctly, etc.

Sep 06, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.38 #2 · p.38 #2 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

EyeBrock wrote:
Really, the 5DII is aimed at the same segment that bought the 5D, but I think Canon hope to capitalize on the desires of a lot of crop camera owners who want to go FF.

I'm not sure which way the 5D was marketed, but I do know that many crop-body owners have migrated to the 5D over the last 2+ years. A number of 1-series camera owners also bought the 5D. Its sales never matched those of the Rebel series, but the body has had good popularity IMHO.

This will obviously cause those used to a pop-up (me included) to bemoan the flash that I use very infrequently.
The 5D is a camera that straddles two user groups, pros and serious amateurs. The amateurs like me will have to weigh up the plusses of a FF body against the prosumer features we are used to.

If you want a pop-up get the 50D. If you want the FF features and need fill in, carry a flash. I think itís time I carried a flash on those sunny days.
Bring on the 5D replacement, Iím ready!

I have no idea which way Canon will go with the popup flash on the next 5D - I do not have a problem with them including it, since it can be useful on occasion. Generally, I carry a flash or two if I'm intending to shoot flash, but there are those occasions where a fill flash would be handy, but I haven't carried one. Not a deal breaker for me either way.

I realize that a popup flash would have problems shooting with a 16-35 and hood on full-frame. Rather reminiscent of the 10D's popup flash with that lens, with the "half-moon" dark area at the bottom of the frame.

Sep 06, 2008 at 12:23 AM
laytonp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #3 · p.38 #3 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

5DII
I wonder if the Manufacturers Suggested Retail price, will grow by $500US. From anouncement, till the time the new camera is available. Like the 1D Mark3 did?

Sep 06, 2008 at 01:00 AM
hfillmore
• • •
p.38 #4 · p.38 #4 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

High ISO samples of 50D on POTN. I know this isn't the 50D thread, but a lot of guys over there are pretty exited, thinking the 5DII will be even better.

Link provided by Teamspeed on the 50D thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=564297

Sep 06, 2008 at 01:38 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.38 #5 · p.38 #5 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

roger coen wrote:
WOW!

30+ pages on a camera..........that is not even here yet.

ONE thing is sure, "Old" 5D's are going to be $800 paper weights.

Edited by roger coen on Sep 05, 2008 at 03:02 PM GMT

still a good camera I may snap one of those up...excuse the pun...and it wont be a paper weight

Sep 06, 2008 at 01:43 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.38 #6 · p.38 #6 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

roger coen wrote:
WOW!

I just don't see this happening anytime soon. Just sold my over one year old 5D+Grip on the bay for $2000 this week. This camera is still in huge demand. Given that the price new just went back up to $2399, more than even I paid with rebates, my bet is that we will not see used 5D's in very good condition sell for much less than $1400-$1500 anytime soon. If they do go for $800, I will be the first to buy one.

Sep 06, 2008 at 02:36 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.38 #7 · p.38 #7 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Let's remember who's talking here, y'all. Good ol' roger coen, remember him from earlier this year when he sold his 5D in anticipation of the replacement? When was that, February?

If they immediately drop to $800 I'll be first in line to horde them and line my bomb shelter with rows and rows of them so I'll be able to use them well past nuclear armageddon.

Sep 06, 2008 at 02:42 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.38 #8 · p.38 #8 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
If they immediately drop to $800 I'll be first in line to horde them and line my bomb shelter with rows and rows of them so I'll be able to use them well past nuclear armageddon.

Won't the EMP render them useless?

Sep 06, 2008 at 02:56 AM
azurekenzo
• •
p.38 #9 · p.38 #9 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

roger coen wrote:
WOW!

how great the attitude is... I think you only care about upgrading equipments, not upgrading ur photography skills and knowledge. 5D wont be a paper weight for sure, as it still amazes me all the time even when I got the DsIII few weeks ago. Learn to respect ur gear, dude!

Sep 06, 2008 at 02:57 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.38 #10 · p.38 #10 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

brainiac wrote:
I am a professional event photographer who earns his living by taking pictures of people, usually in the evening in dark venues. I don't usually have to do red carpet press stuff - I am inside the event. That means that I am usually a few feet from my subjects, and often the difficulty is getting far enough away. Many wedding photographers use 5D's, and they would all benefit from the OPTION (AS IN OPTIONAL) to use a pop-up flash. Personally, I would use it as my main flash because Canon does not make a 'professional' flash unit that casts
...Show more

agreed

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • • •
p.38 #11 · p.38 #11 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

azurekenzo wrote:
how great the attitude is... I think you only care about upgrading equipments, not upgrading ur photography skills and knowledge. 5D wont be a paper weight for sure, as it still amazes me all the time even when I got the DsIII few weeks ago. Learn to respect ur gear, dude!

+1

As a 1Ds3 shooter, when periodically I get a 5D in my hand I am amazed what it can do. No I would not want to trade, but it's one fine camera.

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:27 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.38 #12 · p.38 #12 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

You are in lala land. Japanese cars sell better then German cars ONLY because they are affordable and provide excellent gas millage. People drive Honda's not because of their extra features. I'm sure if the majority could afford to drive an M series they would be doing so. Your point is moot.

bobbytan wrote:
And that is the reason why Japanese cars sell better than German cars .... because you get a lot of extra features at no cost. Nikon has gone that route with their D700 and I expect Canon to follow suit .... if they want to remain competitive and reclaim the market share they once had.

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:37 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.38 #13 · p.38 #13 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

I beg to disagree. Compare a $30,000 German car to a $30,000 Japanese car, or a $50,000 German car to a $50,000 Japanese car. Which car is LOADED with more features .... ASIDE from having better gas mileage? A lot of upgrades are standard feature with a Japanese car .... but it's an optional extra with the German car.

davewolfs wrote:
You are in lala land. Japanese cars sell better then German cars ONLY because they are affordable and provide excellent gas millage. People drive Honda's not because of their extra features. I'm sure if the majority could afford to drive an M series they would be doing so. Your point is moot.

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:52 AM
terhorst

p.38 #14 · p.38 #14 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

I love this thread. The 5Dii rumor thread, in its many incarnations. I click on page 1, and it's something topical about how great the new 5D will be. Then I scroll down 700 posts and we're talking about ... cars. Once it was the Mets.

Poll: how much will FM forum traffic nosedive once this thing is released?

Edited on Sep 06, 2008 at 03:56 AM

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:55 AM
tomdos

p.38 #15 · p.38 #15 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Anyone subscribe to Shutterbug Magazine? Check out Page 177.

Midwest Photo Exchange has an ad that says "Announcing New 5D". At first (after my rush of excitement) I started thinking they had a typo of "50D"...but the picture shows two bodies without pop up flashes, both with a 5D badge. Curious...

I don't have a scanner...here's a quick snapshot of the ad...see for yourself!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2831569211_611e8d5f74_o.jpg

Edited by tomdos on Sep 05, 2008 at 08:23 PM GMT

Edited on Sep 06, 2008 at 04:23 AM

Sep 06, 2008 at 03:58 AM
orangefirefish
• • • •
p.38 #16 · p.38 #16 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

that's a nice looking 40d...!

Sep 06, 2008 at 04:01 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.38 #17 · p.38 #17 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

no then we will have the onslaught of pics of rulers,beer cans,flies on beer cans,flies drinking the beer,brick walls,cats on brick walls(ok I like cats)that will slide,batteries,a chart here and a chart there,comments"is this 35L sharp it was on my 5d"?,comments like "triying to take a picture of a black cat in a coal mine""what is the best iso for this?damn a hot pixel already...sending this crap back to canon...

Sep 06, 2008 at 04:03 AM
globalkiwi
• • • •
p.38 #18 · p.38 #18 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

terhorst wrote:
Poll: how much will FM forum traffic nosedive once this thing is released?

Are you kidding? As soon as it's released there's a whole new growth industry in comparisons, photos of walls, kittens, pretty & not so pretty girls, gripes, complaints, laments about what was left off, comparisons (favorable & con) with Nikon, Sony, player to be named later, speculations as to price deflation, impact on prices of other models, speculation on responses from competitors (pro & con), assessments & reassessments of the wisdom of the upgrade from 5D, nostalgia trips related to the 5D, fierce defense of 5D's continued relevance, comparisons to the relative advances vis a vis the 50D ...
I could go on but I'm guessing you get the idea.

Sep 06, 2008 at 04:04 AM
globalkiwi
• • • •
p.38 #19 · p.38 #19 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Thanks to digitalbug - completely forgot the whole beer can/bottle (flat, cold, fly blown etc) genre. And of course, there will be the inevitable, there's a fundamental flaw with this camera scare...

Sep 06, 2008 at 04:06 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.38 #20 · p.38 #20 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Sep 06, 2008 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register