1       2       3              36      
       38              157       158       end

Archive 2008 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.37 #1 · p.37 #1 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

EyeBrock

What I am worried about is if Canon say, "well, we've got more megapixels than the D700, so lets ask 30% more".

Sep 05, 2008 at 10:39 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #2 · p.37 #2 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Or $3000 in Canada. The Brits will get it for about 1750 sterling, as they are quite happy to get ripped off all the time.

Sep 05, 2008 at 10:40 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.37 #3 · p.37 #3 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

brainiac wrote:
I am a professional event photographer who earns his living by taking pictures of people, usually in the evening in dark venues. I don't usually have to do red carpet press stuff - I am inside the event. That means that I am usually a few feet from my subjects, and often the difficulty is getting far enough away. Many wedding photographers use 5D's, and they would all benefit from the OPTION (AS IN OPTIONAL) to use a pop-up flash. Personally, I would use it as my main flash because Canon does not make a 'professional' flash unit that casts
...Show more

OK, so everyone is worked up over a mythical camera and whether it does or does not have a certain feature. We got that so lets stop screaming at each other...

As one of primary opponents in this debate, and a professional studio photographer, my reasons for stating why I personally don't want a flash were made clear. In almost every situation, regardless of capability to do so, mfgs don't use a 100% VF if they have a flash. A recent exception was the D300, but that is out of character and has little if anything to do with this discussion.

Phrasing it as I or anyone else is "denying others a chance to use flash" is not what I or anyone else suggested and unjustly mischaracterizes the whole debate. Lets face facts about the mfgs, it's not a perfect world and they don't want to give you A unless they take away B. Canon is worse about this than any other.

So where's the downside? I want the best camera for me Period. Sorry, but until you pay my bills, that says forget the pop up flash and give me a feature that I want and can use. And what about all the people crying over weather sealing. It's not as big a deal to me because I'm not a foul weather shooter, but there sure is a direct trade off between that ability to prevent ingress and adding a flash. Every single feature on a camera costs money (some, like AF, is dirt cheap once developed and put into a chip), but other things are expensive like modifying a body to add flash or a 100% VF. I can use that VF every day, morning, noon, and night; regardless of whether I need to bring some Profoto gear or a 580EX I/II, etc. that VF is there for me. It's brighter, it's easier to see what you're doing, it's easier to frame images correctly, etc.

I may be wrong but it's almost guaranteed that Canon will not give you a real VF if they give you a flash. You say there's no need to sacrifice the VF for a flash, but I can't remember any time they did that in the last few decades, but if someone can tell us all when and where they did that I'd appreciate it. I didn't just begin using their equipment, but I didn't obsess over camera models in the past the way we all obsess over digital.

So where's my upside to a flash I don't want, won't use, and may have to sacrifice what I do want to get it? I must be missing something, because I'm just not seeing it.

This discussion is all hypothetical anyway because I sure don't know if the 5d2 exists, or I'm sure not betting my life on it anyway. At least we don't have long to wait to find out.

Edited by jamesf99 on Sep 05, 2008 at 06:07 PM GMT

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Sep 05, 2008 at 10:41 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.37 #4 · p.37 #4 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

David Baldwin wrote:

EyeBrock

What I am worried about is if Canon say, "well, we've got more megapixels than the D700, so lets ask 30% more".

Maybe this time last year that would have been the case. Just my opinion but Nikon have done all us Canon glass owners a favour by knocking out good cameras to compete and undercut Canon products.
Canon are back on the offensive. Pure speculation of course, but this is a rumour thread!

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Sep 05, 2008 at 10:42 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.37 #5 · p.37 #5 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Do you leave the hoods off your lenses and never shoot at wider angles? Because no camera I've ever used with a pop-up flash has been able to clear the wider angles (casts a curved shadow toward the bottom of the pic), especially with a lens hood on. I HAVE TO use a flash with more vertical clearance to fix that. And as far as shadows caused by a flash that is some distance away from the lens, that's actually much more attractive and interesting than flash straight-on from the lens axis that wash out all depth. Shadows aren't
...Show more

I made this, and other arguments about 95 pages ago. No effect....

Sep 05, 2008 at 10:44 PM
roger coen
• •
p.37 #6 · p.37 #6 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

WOW!

30+ pages on a camera..........that is not even here yet.

ONE thing is sure, "Old" 5D's are going to be $800 paper weights.

Edited by roger coen on Sep 05, 2008 at 03:02 PM GMT

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:01 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.37 #7 · p.37 #7 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Really, the 5DII is aimed at the same segment that bought the 5D, but I think Canon hope to capitalise on the desires of a lot of crop camera owners who want to go FF.
This will obviously cause those used to a pop-up (me included) to bemoan the flash that I use very infrequently.
The 5D is a camera that straddles two user groups, pros and serious amateurs. The amateurs like me will have to weigh up the plusses of a FF body against the prosumer features we are used to.

If you want a pop-up get the 50D. If you want the FF features and need fill in, carry a flash. I think its time I carried a flash on those sunny days.
Bring on the 5D replacement, Im ready!

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:02 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.37 #8 · p.37 #8 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

roger coen wrote:

At least it's one 30 page thread and not 15 2-page threads...

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:03 PM
aero145
• •
p.37 #9 · p.37 #9 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Nein nein, man can nie zu viel Deutsch sprechen

Sure about that? Im quite tired of it personally. And its kan.

Mit freundlichen Gren,

David

PS: So, which of you fellow Deutschers will be present @ Photokino?

Edited by aero145 on Sep 06, 2008 at 12:09 AM GMT

Edited by aero145 on Sep 06, 2008 at 12:09 AM GMT

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:06 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.37 #10 · p.37 #10 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Nein nein, man can nie zu viel Deutsch sprechen

Indeed, 'man "can" nicht'.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

David Baldwin
• • • •
p.37 #11 · p.37 #11 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

EyeBrock

"The Brits will get it for about 1750 sterling, as they are quite happy to get ripped off all the time"

Ouch! Yes we do get ripped off all the time, unfortunately. I often read how much Canon lenses cost over the other side of the pond, and I shake my head remorsefully!

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.37 #12 · p.37 #12 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

You think so? If the 5D II resembles the D700, I think a lot of pros and 1D/1Ds shooters will switch over to the 5D II .... and yes, the crop camera owners will also go FF. Frame rates are getting better and batteries are getting stronger .... so fewer people will want an integral battery grip and would rather opt for a lighter and more compact DSLR. I for one cannot stand bulky/heavy bodies and I would pay any price to have pro features without the grip.

EyeBrock wrote:
Really, the 5DII is aimed at the same segment that bought the 5D, but I think Canon hope to capitalise on the desires of a lot of crop camera owners who want to go FF.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:31 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.37 #13 · p.37 #13 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

stanj wrote:
At least it's one 30 page thread and not 15 2-page threads...

+1

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:45 PM
vknight
• •
p.37 #14 · p.37 #14 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=29204767

I did not see a reference to this link, forgive me if it was posted 14 pages ago. But here is a comparison between the current 5D and the teaser...

There is a definite difference between the button placement and also there it looks like there is a different lens on the teaser body.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:46 PM
whatcheer
• •
p.37 #15 · p.37 #15 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

If the 5dII is priced like the 5d when it came out (well over $3000, the 5d price should not drop a whole lot, if any. It's still a great tool.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Keegan Bursaw
• •
p.37 #16 · p.37 #16 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

I wouldn't be upset if the current 5D prices drop even more...

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:52 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.37 #17 · p.37 #17 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Keegan Bursaw wrote:
I wouldn't be upset if the current 5D prices drop even more...

I doubt it. I predict that the 5D will become the first DSLR classic. In ten years used ones in good condition will probably sell on Ebay for around $12,000.

-which by then will be about 175 Euros.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:56 PM
Jess Edward
• • •
p.37 #18 · p.37 #18 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

A good friend of mine was just in a meeting today with Canon and he said they talked about the new 5D but he had to sign papers saying he wouldnt talk about the details to anyone.

Sep 05, 2008 at 11:57 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.37 #19 · p.37 #19 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

I look forward to purchasing the 5D2 in terms of having a new toy to play with, but I think the current 5D is already the perfect tool for me. I sold my 5D a few weeks ago and have been using the XSi... even the XSi takes wonderful pictures.

Sep 06, 2008 at 12:00 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.37 #20 · p.37 #20 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

roger coen wrote:
WOW!

ONE thing is sure, "Old" 5D's are going to be $800 paper weights.

Edited by roger coen on Sep 05, 2008 at 03:02 PM GMT

No, they're not!

They'll make great backup cameras. It's the 40D's that will settle to that role. Or at least mine will.

Sep 06, 2008 at 12:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password