1       2      
       4              157       158       end

Archive 2008 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

johnecon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

davewolfs wrote:
Can Canon really justify selling a 21MP FF camera for 3k, when its sibling goes for 5k more?

When the 5D originally came out at $2999, the 1DsMkII was at 16MP, right? - - and at $8K?? Same $5K differential. Maybe the 5D replacement won't be 21MP, but somewhere between 16-18??

John

Edited on Aug 28, 2008 at 01:17 PM

Aug 28, 2008 at 01:16 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

!Enthusiasm Alert!

I'm very excited at the prospect of a modernized 5D! I'm not normally a gear head, but I'm tired of crop sensor cameras.

I'm tired of full frame cameras that cost $7000, I'm not interested in cheaper FF bodies without live view or sensor cleaners.

5D Mk2 could be the camera I've been waiting on for years! I've got the space in my camera bag, I've been lucky and managed to get the money together, all I need is Canon to announce the damn thing. Frankly I can't wait to see the wide field of view though my Canon 24L, properly wide without its bum chopped off by the cheapo sensor, I'm looking forward to cranking up the ISO a la 50D. This is a very exciting time to be a digital photographer!

Very excited.

I'll calm down now

Go lie down in a darkened room

Thank you

Aug 28, 2008 at 01:24 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Surely there is an upgraded print button, maybe a WiFi print button?

Really though, if those specs are right, it could be a great camera.
Gil

Aug 28, 2008 at 01:47 PM
Alex53
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

David Baldwin wrote:
!Enthusiasm Alert!

I'm very excited at the prospect of a modernized 5D! I'm not normally a gear head, but I'm tired of crop sensor cameras.

I'm tired of full frame cameras that cost $7000, I'm not interested in cheaper FF bodies without live view or sensor cleaners.

5D Mk2 could be the camera I've been waiting on for years! I've got the space in my camera bag, I've been lucky and managed to get the money together, all I need is Canon to announce the damn thing. Frankly I can't wait to see the wide field of view though my Canon 24L,
...Show more

I think you will get your wish.

As for me, I am a late adopter. My 5D is months old and has about 3000 actuations.

I will probably buy a 5D2 when it costs what a 5D costs now, so I'll be happy if the rumoured spec is true. Its pretty impressive. Meanwhile, I still havent lost any jobs or income for having a 5D and a 10D as backup

Aug 28, 2008 at 01:51 PM
LCollector
• • •
[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

hahahah..."Extra 0.2 inches" screen size. hahahaha. Clearly the fish took the bait...kudos to the rumor starter.

Aug 28, 2008 at 01:59 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

One of the most groundbreaking new features on all future generations of Canon DSLR's will be a sell-by date, which should help to put an end to all future speculation regarding releases of new models. Oddly enough, the date will appear within the battery chamber and be composed of multi-colored dots. I believe there'll be a separate decoder ring that will allow for using the dots to determine the exact amount of depreciation on any given date subsequent to the camera's release.

Now that I've told you that, I have to take myself out. Bright side: I'll stop looking at these threads.

Edited on Aug 28, 2008 at 02:09 PM

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:08 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

You're wrong, it's not Sell By date. It's a use buy date.

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:21 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

If it ends up being 21 megapixels, I wonder if Canon will cripple the 5d2 to have 12 bit images instead of 14 to keep sales further away from the 1Ds3?

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:25 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

with 40D and 50D already doing 14 bit? No way thy could get away with that

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:28 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Where is the 1D Mk III N rumor thread? It has been 1.5 years between the 1D Mk II and the 1D Mk II N and 1.5 years since the 1D Mk III was introduced. We'll look silly if it will be introduced in Photokina and we will not have a proper rumor thread on it...

I'll start.
12-16 MP
2 X DIGIC 4 (If the 50D has it…)
10-12 FPS
1.3X
3" VGA screen (If the 50D has it…)
AF in LV (If the 50D has it…)

Please create one and put this on top. 10X.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:29 PM
Edgar M
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

I think there is a high possibility the new 5D will be around 21mp ....you guys are forgetting that Sony is coming out with an FF with 24mp this year (not to mention others possibly in 2009)

Edited on Aug 28, 2008 at 02:33 PM

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:32 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Where is the 1D Mk III N rumor thread? Yeah and the mk IV rumor thread, and the 3D rumor thread and the 7D rumor thread and the 1Ds IV rumor thread and the EOS PRO 1 rumor thread and the Canon Medium Format rumor thread ... .pfff. Man Yakim I guess it was clear Fred wants us to keep them all together. Maybe the topic header should have been "Canon DSLR Kina rumors" instead of the 5DII rumors?

Anyways, to get back to your suggestion / rumor? Would you think it's realistic Canon replaces it's full line of cameras within a few months during 2008. So shortly after the 1000D and the 450D, they deliver the 50D and a 5D successor and a 1D series successor? So what would PMA 3-5 march next spring bring us? Of course we want some new glass next to the 18-200 mm IS as well. We don't want to put pressure on Canon and we demand full quality control neat logistics and full supply immediately after introduction else we'll bash the company that'll never listen to us consumers while we have so realistic expectations. Because we only want to have EOSfun

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:41 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Yakim Peled wrote:
Where is the 1D Mk III N rumor thread? It has been 1.5 years between the 1D Mk II and the 1D Mk II N and 1.5 years since the 1D Mk III was introduced. We'll look silly if it will be introduced in Photokina and we will not have a proper rumor thread on it...

I'll start.
12-16 MP
2 X DIGIC 4 (If the 50D has it…)
10-12 FPS
1.3X
3" VGA screen (If the 50D has it…)
AF in LV (If the 50D has it…)

Please create one and put this on top. 10X.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That would be a MKIV

'N" is a refresh, which I don't think we'll see.

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:48 PM
globalkiwi
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

eosfun wrote:
Ok EOSfun, curiosity has gotten the better of me! What gives with "EOSfun"?! Not only is it your screen name but I've noticed you work it into the text (in admittedly creative ways) of virtually every one of your posts. Do you have some kind of copyright on this word? Is this an attempt at subliminal marketing? Is it a photographic store in the Netherlands that you're promoting? Or is this just "personal branding" run amok?!

Edited by globalkiwi on Aug 28, 2008 at 07:52 PM GMT

Edited on Aug 28, 2008 at 02:52 PM

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:49 PM
elader
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

]abam wrote
canon upgraded the 40D due to mounting pressures from nikon's offerings. why would they not upgrade the 5D, now that nikon has thrown down the gauntlet in the form of the D700? (odd that nikon has been doing a lot of that lately
...)

No they didnt. They didnt pull this cam out of their ass they have been working on it for quite some time. They may have accelerated the release by 6 months though.

If a 5DmkII is in the works for release for sometime in the next 3 months, you can bet it's been on the drawingboard for some time.

Personally I cannot believe they wouldnt take the 50D, put in bigger prism, bigger mirror and sensor, and grant us all 16.7mp, beautiful ISO6400. usable ISO12500 and 5fps for $3399

And ESOFUN is Nufose backwards.

Edited by elader on Aug 28, 2008 at 02:51 PM GMT

Edited on Aug 28, 2008 at 02:51 PM

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:50 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

elader wrote:
And ESOFUN is Nufose backwards.

Actually it isn't

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:53 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

globalkiwi wrote:
Ok EOSfun, curiosity has gotten the better of me! What gives with "EOSfun"?! Not only is it your screen name but I've noticed you work it into the text (in admittedly creative ways) of virtually every one of your posts. Do you have some kind of copyright on this word? Is this an attempt at subliminal marketing? Is it a photographic store in the Netherlands that you're promoting? Or is this just "personal branding" run amok?!

If you think of the Dutch as Germans with a silly side, you will be closer to understanding....

Aug 28, 2008 at 02:54 PM
Zara
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

globalkiwi wrote:

It's just plain annoying, that's all. I just hope with all that fun he also takes coolpix ;-)

Aug 28, 2008 at 03:00 PM
globalkiwi
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Hmmm... sadly, my Dutch mother-in-law never possessed a silly side so I'm still baffled.

Aug 28, 2008 at 03:01 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

elader wrote:
No they didnt. They didnt pull this cam out of their ass they have been working on it for quite some time. They may have accelerated the release by 6 months though.

If a 5DmkII is in the works for release for sometime in the next 3 months, you can bet it's been on the drawingboard for some time.

Personally I cannot believe they wouldnt take the 50D, put in bigger prism, bigger mirror and sensor, and grant us all 16.7mp, beautiful ISO6400. usable ISO12500 and 5fps for $3399

I expect that the sensor tech was behind schedule, or they agreed to let Nikon back in the game. I don't think its in Japans interest for Canon to wreck Nikon DSLR business.

As far as the 5DII, I'm not sure what would be wrong with a 50D type camera with a big sensor.

Aug 28, 2008 at 03:03 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.