Archive 2008 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.158 #1 · p.158 #1 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

fraga wrote:
According to Dpreview, it's actually:

So no gapless microlenses.

Just saw that - they say there is a reason though for not having gapless on FF, but only say something about avoiding light falloff in the corners.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.158 #2 · p.158 #2 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

How do we have any idea if a sensor design is good or bad besides looking a photos?

Sep 18, 2008 at 02:55 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.158 #3 · p.158 #3 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

ocean7 wrote:
I love you Ralph! You seem to be the only one who will be happy with it from what I read. This place has really turned into a DPR clone... sad, sad, sad.

Hope, you are a girl

No, first I am NOT the only one.
2nd: Its easy. I wanted to upgrade from my 30D to 5D. To serve my customers in resolution, me in IQ and lower noise in ISO 1600 pics. I used a friends 5D a couple of times. And its fantastic for my needs. Of course I wanted to get a digic III/IV one and 14 Bit. So I just waited for the successor. I wished me 15 MP one ISO stop more in sensor, an metal body, a better VF (compared to 30D), exchangeable focusing screens (to focus manual again) and a higher shutter cycle rate. And a direct shown 100% crop of the raw image.

I got:
- 6 MP more (I did not expect and will rarly use. But they are there, when I need)
- at two stops more (maybe 1 in IQ, but surely 2 compared two my 30D)
- a sealed body (seems enough for me)
- a faster and more accurate AF
- excellent VF (98% is much more than I need and I expect it again is better than at 5D what is much better, than it was with all my Canons before)
- x-changeable focusing screens
- 150.000 shutter cycles

- I am NOT shure, if the direct shown raw is possiple
- I did not need HD video. But maybe I will like it. I saw some demos and was faszinated

I guess that all those goodies will fit MY needs for the next 3 years (maybe 5)!
I will sell my flash (I used 2 times last year) and my 30D and grip and at additional 2000 (or less) I might get the 5DII + grip. What creates a monthly cost of 60 (40) for a tool, that gives me freedom to do my projects and lets me earn money.

My expectations and hopes where different from many others and Canon fullfilled them completely. Why not beeing happy?

I understand that some of the folks here are disapointed. They expected more.
What I do not understand in many cases is WHY. If I would own and use a 1DS MK III I would not moan about 5D MK II. I would be happy with my gear (okay its little more bulky and weights maybe 150 gramms more (I never used a Canon withtout a grip).

If I would do sports I would buy a 1d MK III or D3. But I do not and I do not need the speed neither AI. The 1D is available meanwhile at 3333 in germany, 3D at about 4000 (-200 since yesterday). The D700 went down about 300 since yesterday morning and is 2299 now. ;-) (at a trustfull Dealer)

I think that is great for everybody who wants or whose bizz is doing photographs.
And Canon did or forced it. Why not beeing happy? I guess when I will purchase the 5D MK II in january, street price will be 2199. Great so, too.

Ralph

Sep 18, 2008 at 04:35 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.158 #4 · p.158 #4 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

dcmiller wrote:
How do we have any idea if a sensor design is good or bad besides looking a photos?

Concerning me its easy: You have to decide personally. I did thousands of pics on low light concerts at ISO 1600 with my 30D. They are fine for the net or 10x15 (cm) prints. I know how the banding looks like in dark areas. Then I saw D3 pics done with 3200. No banding but "hard" noise. But it was like smaller grain. Now I saw D700 (same like D3) and 5D MK II sampels of the same motive. No banding! The 5D MK II noise appeares less hard to me in the dark areas. It was smoother, even the pics showed more details (both FF but 5D II of course with much more MPs). I saw 6.400 and enhanced images, too. No perfect quality. But nearly now banding in 100%.
Nothing I really like, but acceptable when an image must have to be done under awefull cirkumstances. I shot over years with an T-Max 3200. Had exhibitions with pictures like that. The digital evolution is far beyond what photographers and their customers had to except 10 years ago. The results give me an idea, what sensor design is good.

Ralph

Sep 18, 2008 at 04:58 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.158 #5 · p.158 #5 · Canon 5DII rumors thread

Hate to resurrect an old thread but it's been so long since i've had the last word.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM
1       2       3              157      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              157      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password