New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2008 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

linathael
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

I do not know if this was already mentioned before, but it appears that some US shops have already reference of the forthcoming D90. Some rumors indicate August 27th as a potential launch date. Photokina is going to be a big event with a lot a recently launch products to be demoed, at least from Nikon.
according to the circulating specification the D90 will kill the freshly released Canon D1000, but both manufacturers seems to play a complicated game where it is rather unclear where are the limits of each categories: amateur, rich-amateur, semi-Pro, Pro, Pro DX, Pro FX etc...

Edited by linathael on Aug 13, 2008 at 09:12 AM GMT

Edited by linathael on Aug 14, 2008 at 03:59 PM GMT

Edited by linathael on Aug 14, 2008 at 04:02 PM GMT

Edited on Aug 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Aug 12, 2008 at 04:49 AM
JohPhoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

I just bought a 2nd d80, if the d90 is only 1000 usd then I will be SERIOUSLY upset..

Aug 12, 2008 at 05:08 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

People are expecting a lot in the D90. There might be a surprise if it's aimed somewhere between the D60 and the D80.

Aug 12, 2008 at 06:54 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

I heard the D90 will have an FX sensor, capable of 128k ISO, 37 fps, 32 bit images and only cost $800.

Aug 12, 2008 at 08:20 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

BenV wrote:
I heard the D90 will have an FX sensor, capable of 128k ISO, 37 fps, 32 bit images and only cost $800.

Surely you ment $8.00.

Aug 12, 2008 at 08:28 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

JohPhoto wrote:
I just bought a 2nd d80, if the d90 is only 1000 usd then I will be SERIOUSLY upset..

But you shouldn't be. Every technology item you buy will be surpassed by a cheaper one later.That's a fact of life. While waiting might have gotten you something better, the D80 is no slouch either and you are using it now.

We'll see how the D90 stacks up when it hits the market. I'm thinking it might be the one for my wife if I can get her to change to digital. If it has the D300 sensor and the newer processing in a D80 type camera, it would be just what I am looking for. Oh that and another one (D90X?) that has an FX sensor, but for now I'd be happy with the current rumored D90.

David

Edited on Aug 12, 2008 at 08:35 AM

Aug 12, 2008 at 08:33 AM
linathael
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

nikt wrote:
People are expecting a lot in the D90. There might be a surprise if it's aimed somewhere between the D60 and the D80.

For sure, I would then move to a D300. Price of the latest seriously went down, as one can get the D300 body for below 1100 Euros in EU. Is Nikon already readjusting its price list?

Aug 12, 2008 at 08:43 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

JohPhoto wrote:

Here, I'll make you feel better.

Take your new D80 out and shoot a photograph with it. Something nice, something you like and that pleases you.

I'm going to do the same with the D90. Then we'll both post our pictures and see which one is better.

Ready? Okay, go.

Here's mine:

Edited on Aug 12, 2008 at 09:17 AM

Aug 12, 2008 at 09:17 AM
linathael
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

binary visions wrote:
Here, I'll make you feel better.

Take your new D80 out and shoot a photograph with it. Something nice, something you like and that pleases you.

I'm going to do the same with the D90. Then we'll both post our pictures and see which one is better.

Ready? Okay, go.

Here's mine:

??
did I miss something, was it a kind of humour, or you are currently shooting something, and you will be back to post it here?

Aug 12, 2008 at 09:27 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

What he means that the D90 doesn't exist yet and who knows when the first one will be available. The D80 is here and takes photos.

Aug 12, 2008 at 09:35 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

linathael wrote:
??
did I miss something, was it a kind of humour, or you are currently shooting something, and you will be back to post it here?

It was a joke, the D90 doesn't exist, so how am I supposed to take a picture with one?

edit: yep, what he said ^

Edited on Aug 12, 2008 at 09:35 AM

Aug 12, 2008 at 09:35 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

linathael wrote:
according to the circulating specification the D90 will kill the freshly released Canon D1000

The 1000D competes more with the D40/D60. D90 would be in XSi-ish range.

Aug 12, 2008 at 09:53 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

"I heard the D90 will have an FX sensor, capable of 128k ISO, 37 fps, 32 bit images and only cost $800."
It is my understanding that the first bodies will be sold at Fantasy Island.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

Since it is only a fantasy camera, I am sure Nikon will have one at my door for my birthday. It's on Sunday, Mister Nikon!

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM
linathael
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

Well the fantasy camera is becoming everyday more real (from :http://www.nikonguides.com/d90.htm)

Nikon D90. At 12 MP, and with the list of cool features I outline below, the D90 serves three purposes in the Nikon line... Other than the flexibility you get with the D300's four Shooting banks/four Custom Setting banks, you don't lose much by going with the D90. I'll know more when I can compare sensors and high ISO image quality between the D300 and D90. I expect to see the D90 sell for about $999 with the 18-55mm VR lens, which makes it only about $50 more than the current price of the D80 with that lens...

The Nikon D90's
Now, here's a quick run-down of the most interesting features of the Nikon D90. No, this is not a review of an unannounced camera, and there's nothing here that hasn't already been discussed elsewhere over the past few weeks. This is just a summary of the D90's features, and why I think they are important.

12 megapixel resolution. To be honest, the D80 had great image quality with its 10 MP sensor, and you probably shouldn't expect a huge difference with the 12 MP Nikon D90. I'll be testing for higher ISO performance and will report back. But, I don't expect slightly higher resolution to be the primary reason to upgrade or buy this camera. But megapixels are what people are interested in, so I've listed this enhancement first.

18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR. This new "kit" lens is a perfect match for the D90: affordable, covering a decent range of focal lengths, and with VR. It produces the equivalent of a 27 to 158mm range on an FX camera, so it offers moderate wide-angle to medium telephoto settings. This lens theoretically beats the pants off the most popular alternative lenses, hands down. It has a longer zoom range than the excellent 18-55mm VR kit lens, is more compact and less expensive than the useful, but flawed 18-200mm VR, and includes Vibration Reduction where the older 18-135mm Nikkor zoom did not. Many D90 users will favor this lens over the 18-55/55-200mm zoom combination. Unless you're shooting field sports or wildlife, this lens covers most of what you need.

Larger LCD. The 2.5-inch LCD on the D80 was pretty good, but Nikon has been cleaning up with its vibrant, enhanced LCDs, and Live View deserves a big, bright image. That's what the D90 will give you.

Live View. I was skeptical about Live View at first, but I've grown to value its ability to show you (more or less) exactly what you're going to get, particularly when gluing your eye to the viewfinder is inconvenient or not the best mode. (Live View is great for shooting fireworks!) The D90 becomes the least expensive Nikon digital SLR to offer Live View, and Nikonians have come to expect it.

Video recording. I'll be interested in evaluating the video clips produced by this camera. The D60 lets you create silent stop-motion mini-movies, assembled from a series of stills, and that's fun, but that capability doesn't really qualify as video. If the D90 beats my cell phone in this department -- as it should -- I expect that Nikon should garner a lot of sales from those who are tired of carrying around both a dSLR and a video camcorder, and want one device that will go both ways. Start saving up for an 8GB or larger SDHC card.

Faster 4.5 fps continuous shooting. I find that 3 fps isn't fast enough for effective sports shooting, and that 8-9 fps is much better, but sometimes is overkill (and a good way to saddle yourself with a zillion images to wade through; I typically shoot 1000 pictures at sports events.) But for much of my shooting, I find that roughly 5 frames per second is just about right, so the 4.5 fps rate offered by the D90 should satisfy most non-pro sports shooters.

HDMI port. I only recently upgraded to an HDTV, and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The ability to connect the Nikon D90 to an HDTV using an HDMI cable (not included; make sure you have a spare) means you can evaluate your shots on a huge screen. Of course, Live View means you can watch what you're shooting in real time. Now I am wondering if I don't need an HDTV for my studio.

GPS compatibility. With GPS features built into point-and-shoot cameras and cell phones, many dSLR owners will come to expect at least the ability to connect a GPS location tagger to their cameras. If you go this route, you'll never wonder where you shot your vacation pictures again.
...Show more

oki I admit it sounds a lot like a guy trying to sell his goods, and I wondering at the end if the D90 with all this long list of features will not be simply a feature loaded device not being able to have at leat ocupel of them working perfectly...
one should point that it would place the D90 only 500 USD cheaper than the D300. so consumers will have the choice between a more features-loaded consumers electronic-oriented device, aka D90, and a more Pro/photo-oriented body , the D300.

Edited on Aug 13, 2008 at 03:12 AM

Aug 13, 2008 at 03:09 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

That looks terrible!

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM
linathael
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

changed the title of the topic as the French shop, http://www.muller-photo-service.fr is announcing both models and taking pre-oreders.

D90 body: 799 Euro http://www.muller-photo-service.fr/boutique/nikon-boitier-p-855-1_3.html
D3X body: 4990 Euro http://www.muller-photo-service.fr/boutique/nikon-boitier-p-1922-1_3.html

no real details provided yet.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM
Chris Langer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

I think if the D3x and D90 come out... It will seal the deal for Nikon. I am very excited to be shooting Nikon.

Chris

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

Chris Langer wrote:
I think if the D3x and D90 come out... It will seal the deal for Nikon. I am very excited to be shooting Nikon.

Chris

only if there was a deal to seal....

hate to tell you guys, but no matter how hard nikon tries, they wont ever eliminate Canon. Thats not the way life works, lol.

Edited on Aug 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM
linathael
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D90 + D3x !! Almost official

BenV wrote:
only if there was a deal to seal....

hate to tell you guys, but no matter how hard Nikon tries, they wont ever eliminate Canon. Thats not the way life works, lol.

why is there a need to eliminate one company or the other?
a bit like computer , I do not get the point of saying PC sucks or mac sucks... different taste, different needs, different flavors, different devices.
not having competition between Nikon and Canon would kill innovation. To back it up with computers, Apple survived in the past thanks to its ability to innovate and be users-oriented, and offer a great user interface. If Apple is back, it is because they have been able to offer what consumers were waiting for.
Same will be true for Nikon and Canon. The first Rebel was what was expected by consumers, a dSLR at an affordable price with more than decent performance. Afterwards, Canon has been playing the cheap marketing strategy for several years, without bringing much innovation. Nikon worked hard to catch up and finally succeed it really with the D300/D3.
we will see when the D90 will be reviewed if it is the expected replacing body for the D80.

Edited by linathael on Aug 14, 2008 at 08:57 PM GMT

Edited on Aug 14, 2008 at 02:57 PM

Aug 14, 2008 at 01:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.