Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

vicki-pix
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

Hi everyone. I am looking for feedback from people who have published photo books using sites such as Mypublisher, viovio, blurb, et al. What did the final book look like in terms of paper quality, cover quality, photo quality and resolution? Which offered the best options for layout and design? If you had a problem, was customer service easy to deal with?

I have two book projects that I want to finish and would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance!
~vicki

Aug 05, 2008 at 12:54 PM
ml744
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I have used Blurb for my first and only book ( http://www.blurb.com/books/567302 )and I am relatively happy...but was wondering the same question before printing the next one!

I am really happy with having a book, the end product is quite different from having a couple of pics printed, regardless of the size. I like the quality of the cover and the paper. I am just "ok" with the options to change lay outs and I am also "ok" with the resolution. Bear in mind that the prints are not glossy. They look, IMHO, like they were printed with a very good "office" ink jet printer.

The main reason why, without any experience I used Blurb was because they had the biggest book of all the publishers. Price was good as well.

Any other experiences from other FMers?

Best,

Matias
www.pbase.com/ml744

Feb 25, 2009 at 06:46 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I did a long while ago Apple books and the quality was great

Feb 25, 2009 at 06:50 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

The best photo book publisher is Asuka Books. (They are also about eight times as expensive as the others, but that was the question in the title.)

Feb 27, 2009 at 09:34 PM
revybaby

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I've been reviewing the software for photo books that are geared to the average consumer -- not the discerning photographer. What I've noticed is that these publishers are starting to offer a higher quality photo book that has much thicker pages.

Two such books are being offered as prizes in a photo book sweepstakes where you receive entries for writing a review of a photo book you have created. You will be able to include a link to any book you have created. Info at http://www.make-your-own-photobooks.com/photo-book-contests.html.

Mar 23, 2009 at 02:29 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

The only company I've used so far was Asuka Book for a personal collection of work by me for display at my studio.

I'm actually in the middle of putting together a Blurb book to mail out to various magazines in my area as a way to introduce my work and see if there is any interest. I'm doing a 7"x7" square book, and Blurb tells me they will be $12.95 per book, which isn't that bad for about thirty pages of color portraits.

Asuka was around 40 bucks for the same style/content.

Mar 23, 2009 at 06:15 PM
Jim Burk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I used Blurb for a 40 page book for a school project. Good, but not great, quality. I was pleased with the quality for the price. Hardbound, printed cover, upgraded paper, 5x7, about $43 with shipping.

Mar 23, 2009 at 09:10 PM
psmoore
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I have used Mpix before and the book was good. Not bad for what you paid. I think I'm gonna try Blurb's new hardback that starts at 59.00 or something and see how it looks.

Mar 26, 2009 at 07:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I have done 4 blurb books. I haven't used their templates for any of them. I select the option with all blank pages and cover, then construct the pages/cover in elements. I agree with others, that the quality is ok for the price. The first 2 were done before the wrap cover was available, only the slip cover. The slip covers were nicely printed, but not the best fit. I did a 7x7 soft cover and it was fine, and my latest was the wrap hard cover and it was better than the slip cover IMO. I also think their software is among the easiest to use.

Mar 27, 2009 at 01:38 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

after seeing what else is out there, I am not impressed with the covers of the blurb books, the pages are nice, but not the cover. It just looks cheap, probably because it is.

The photo books they make at target look nicer and more professional and those are by shutterfly and I think kodak.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM
kosin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I've used a Blurb for one of my projects and was very happy with them, mostly because of the price. I did upgrade paper and the cover.
Look for the coupons online. I saved $15 dollars on my order...

and I agree with Greg Feldman that the best photobooks are made by Asuka, but they work only with pros (you need to have a photo business registered)

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Coolkid

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

Just got a book through Blurb. I used them because I had a coupon from the Rocky Mountain School of Photography weekend course that I attended.

I put the book together with the supplied software, had a hard back book with wrap and stayed at 20 pages. It works just fine for me. Seems to be fine quality, but I do agree that the wrapped cover doesn't fit great. Everything else was fine by me. Easy to use, fast turnaround. No complaints here.

Mar 29, 2009 at 06:47 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

I use Asuka Books also for anything where quality is important...also agree with other folks here, expensive--but top notch products that are made to last.

Mar 29, 2009 at 07:45 PM
mkweaver
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

Watch out for My Publisher. My niece did some work for a garden party, and had a book published at My Publisher. One of the women from the garden party emailed my publisher, who allowed her to purchase the book at wholesale prices and by-pass my niece, cutting my niece out of her profits!
Was a year or so ago, but check and see if they will still help photo thieves steal from you!

Mar 31, 2009 at 01:48 PM
Matt Leitholt
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best photo book publisher? MyPublisher? Viovio? Blurb?

Black River Imaging had a deal going for a while offering a free 8x8 press book to get it into people's hands. I decided to go for it because well, it was free and I wanted to try it. You have to download their Java software to make the book, which I wasn't extremely impressed with, but I made it through, you can design your pages in Photoshop then import them into their software. Once you got it into the software, ordering was like eating pie.

About a week later (I was one of the last to order, they had a big rush) I had this magnificent very high quality photobook that lays flat, had thick pages with just enough gloss, and a strong cover. I was very impressed and so was everyone I showed it to.

My book did however have a slight air bubble in the spine which I contacted customer service and they took care of it right away, no hassle.

They cost a little more than others but the quality is unmatched.

http://blackriverimaging.com/

Mar 31, 2009 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password