Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Hi All,

After having graduated from college with my degree in Mechanical Engineering, I will be moving from California to Milwaukee, WI with my girlfriend within the next month. While looking for a mechanical engineering job (since I don't have one yet back there) I will need to get a part time job and noticed that there are two photography studios in the mall right near where we will be living. I was thinking of applying to them as a photographer as a part time job just until I find my "real" job (who knows, photography could end up becoming my real job eventually...but not just yet).

Anyway, does anyone have experience with either of these places? I'm just looking for a job that might get me a little bit of photography (studio) experience while helping pay the bills.

http://www.picturepeople.com/default.asp
http://www.glamourshots.com/

Thanks so much,
Patrick

Aug 02, 2008 at 08:30 PM
Jonathan H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Mall portrait photography is *generally* a fairly low-paying gig, in line with other mall jobs (maybe $7-$11/hr) and offers very little in the way of creative photography. The lights are permanently mounted, the camera is on a tripod in a set spot, at predetermined settings. You pose the family and hit the shutter when everyone is smiling. Repeat as necessary.

If that's what you're looking for, go for it by all means. However, I think it's a pretty safe bet that it won't contribute anything to an eventual job as a photographer, other than helping you cultivate some good customer service skills.

Aug 02, 2008 at 09:31 PM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.1 #3 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Stay with being an ME...you'll have a much better chance at a decent living without anywhere near the stress and work involved!!

People really under estimate what it takes to be a photographer full time...

Aug 02, 2008 at 09:35 PM
Shari Umpstead
• •
p.1 #4 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Jonathan has it right, except he forgot the other important part...you will be required to up-sell obnoxiously-priced packages of prints that are not worth the paper they are printed on (literally). And like any other retail job, you are required to clean up the store - in this case, the spittle, puke, and poo that the kids leave behind (Picture People only for this one - @ Glamour Shots I would hope you wouldn't have this problem ). I tried to work at a similar place...lasted one evening.

If you want to work a part-time photography job of a similar nature without the b.s., I would suggest trying a local photography studio that does yearbook photography. You still have presets on the cameras, lights, etc., but you travel to different schools, set-up & break-down, and are usually done by 2pm (although it is a REALLY early morning job - you need to be set up by the time the kids arrive).

Or you could try to get a gig as an assistant/2nd shooter with a real photographer.

Aug 02, 2008 at 11:47 PM
sino408
• • •
p.1 #5 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

For school jobs, contact:

LifeTouch Studios
Jostens
Herff Jones

Aug 04, 2008 at 03:21 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #6 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

You may as well work at the GAP, because there you'd at least get discounts on clothes.

As another poster said, the work at these places is fairly brainless from a creativity standpoint. If these companies could devise a computer system to automate the entire process they would. For now, a person pressing the shutter is cheaper.

I would bet there are a lot of paying photo opportunities in Milwaukee. For instance while in Atlanta I did a brief stint as a fan photographer at Braves baseball games. I wasn't very good at it and I decided to quit after I got an internship (in engineering, coincidentally), but I think it paid $10-15 per hour plus some sort of bonus for shooting a lot of photos. It's not the most creative thing but it beats the pants off Mall portrait studio and these companies tend to be flexible if you're willing to work afternoons and nights in between interviews. They supply the cameras, flashes and cards.

It looks like they offer something similar at the Brewers games:

http://www.printroom.com/pro/brewers/

By the way, nice website. You are way too good to be relegated to mall portrait studio.

Edited on Aug 05, 2008 at 03:42 PM

Aug 05, 2008 at 03:38 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #7 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Thanks for all the responses guys! What you all said is kinda what I figured...although when I walked by the place (the picture people) it looked like the photographer was moving around as opposed to having the camera on a tripod. But yeah, I might steer clear of them. But money is money!

I've been searching craigslist for any photography gigs with no real luck. Problem is, I need a stable source of income (however small it may be) at least for the first month or two so we'll see.

Scott...thanks! I may check that brewers thing out! And it just so happens that there is a GAP in the same mall And yeah, I'd love to make some money on the side by doing portfolio shots and senior portraits and the like, but I have no idea how to even begin doing something like that in a strange town (aside from modelmayhem...which I'm already a part of...and all the models on there want to do TFP!).

Aug 06, 2008 at 02:09 AM
Jonathan H
• • • •
p.1 #8 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Try and meet a couple of the local seniors... the mall might be the best place. Even better is someone's younger sibling.

Find 2-3 of the most outgoing (and best looking) seniors you can find, give them a free session and complimentary 8x10 and a boatload of wallets. Then tell them that for every referral they send you, they get a $100 print credit (or whatever). Hopefully they;ll show off the 8x10 and give out the wallets, thereby generating at least a little business.

Make sure "all your ducks are in a row" and have printed samples, a logical and clear price list, some ideas for poses, concepts, etc already in your mind so you can hit the ground running. Developing a business from scratch is extremely difficult, however, senior portraits can actually be one of the "easiest" ways to break in. Charge a $100 sitting fee just so your expenses and immediate time are covered, and offer every kind of photo product available. They'll buy.

Aug 06, 2008 at 06:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JustButtons
• •
p.1 #9 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Or go the sports route... talk to some local AD's and ask if they have anyone covering their teams (T&I and/or action shots). You've got Milwaukee and the 'burbs to work there, like West Allis, New Berlin, Greenfield, Waukesha, etc. Football season's almost here, and there'll be parents lookin' to buy...

Dan

Aug 06, 2008 at 11:37 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #10 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

JustButtons wrote:
You've got Milwaukee and the 'burbs to work there, like West Allis, New Berlin, Greenfield, Waukesha, etc. Football season's almost here, and there'll be parents lookin' to buy...

Jonathan H wrote:
Make sure "all your ducks are in a row" and have printed samples, a logical and clear price list, some ideas for poses, concepts, etc already in your mind so you can hit the ground running. Developing a business from scratch is extremely difficult, however, senior portraits can actually be one of the "easiest" ways to break in. Charge a $100 sitting fee just so your expenses and immediate time are covered, and offer every kind of photo product available.

Maybe I interpreted the OP mistakenly, but I got the impression that the guy is just trying to pocket some extra income to support himself while he looks for a steady engineering job. I was in school when I was looking for a fulltime job and I could barely handle those two responsibilities ... finding a job was almost a full-time job in and of itself!

Heck, OP might even have an offer by the time football season ramps up. It might be better to recommend some quick and dirty jobs with little initial investment whose ties can be broken fairly easily. OP did mention he might want to do photography full time but I didn't get the impression that he was looking to start now.

Edited on Aug 06, 2008 at 01:04 PM

Aug 06, 2008 at 01:01 PM
JOSHUA.ABIOLA
• •
p.1 #11 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Scott, can you share the contact for Fan photographer with the braves in atlanta.Thanks

Aug 06, 2008 at 01:53 PM
JustButtons
• •
p.1 #12 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

High School T&I can be done in the afternoon when school lets out, after the OP's daily job search is over. Games are played at night, for the most part. Just putting some ideas out there. Many people out there do the high school thing and have a 'day job', too.

Aug 06, 2008 at 10:40 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #13 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

Thanks for all the responses, I'll certainly take them all into account!

Aug 07, 2008 at 02:40 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #14 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

JustButtons wrote:
High School T&I can be done in the afternoon when school lets out, after the OP's daily job search is over. Games are played at night, for the most part. Just putting some ideas out there. Many people out there do the high school thing and have a 'day job', too.

I was more addressing Jonathan's H fullblown business development plan including price lists, "every kind of product offering imaginable", etc as being very ambitious. I can see how shooting a few football games is reasonable, but finding the time to print and sell them is another matter.

Edited on Aug 07, 2008 at 03:23 AM

Aug 07, 2008 at 03:20 AM
surfing girl
• •
p.1 #15 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

My daughter had pictures taken of my granddaughter at a Picture People place. 14 shots and I bought an 8x10 of each shot. Each shot was $20, no matter the configuration.

When the photos came, I scanned them into my computer to send around, resize as I wanted to print (I wanted some various shots in wallet size).

I don't know who else bought a set, but I know my daughter and son-in-law didn't at the time I bought them so I'm sending a CD along to them.

I like the suggestions that you find a job as an assistant to a professional photographer if you can. You'll learn a lot more!

Aug 08, 2008 at 06:00 PM
Jonathan H
• • • •
p.1 #16 · The Picture People or Glamour Shots

What I was suggesting really isn't a fullblown business development plan at all. That takes weeks and weeks and is obviously a totally different bag of cheese.

Decide the products you want to offer - prints, coffee table books, posters, and canvas gallery wraps, for instance. Make up a price list for each item. Start spreading the word of mouth. It's an afternoon of research.

IMHO, it's actually easier than T&I's or sports because you're dealing with individual clients - no school boards, coaches, municipal contracts with other photogs, etc to deal with. Just you, the senior, and his/her parents.

Aug 08, 2008 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password