Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Sebastian Kk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering what happens to unsold merchandise when products get upgraded. For example I don't see any sellers selling the 1Ds Mark II new anymore. I would figure they would be sold at a discount price, but I can't find anyone selling them.

Am I just not looking in the right spots or are they taken "off the shelfs"?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Aug 01, 2008 at 03:23 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Tri State has it. Don't remember the original price but sellers like them usually buy them up and resell at a high price as though it were a collectors' item.

http://tinyurl.com/5pygsf

Edited on Aug 01, 2008 at 04:16 PM

Aug 01, 2008 at 04:06 PM
Sebastian Kk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Who would buy the last model as a collectors item....

So no discount prices on them anywhere?

Aug 01, 2008 at 04:46 PM
deewaltguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

There are no unsold items. Supply & demand dictates that it will sell at some time and at some price. That's what the resellers have to figure out.

Aug 01, 2008 at 04:52 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Sebastian -- Tri State was the only seller listed as having it on Pricegrabber.com. Possibly some smaller stores may have left over stock but they would be hard to find. The Buy & Sell forum is probably your best bet.

Good luck.......Don

Aug 01, 2008 at 04:55 PM
Sebastian Kk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
Sebastian

Aug 01, 2008 at 04:59 PM
Jeremy Conoley
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Best Buy.com had them. No discounted price, but they had them in stock.

Aug 01, 2008 at 07:43 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Smart retailers do not over-order. They order based on what is needed, and where the demand is. Usually, the old models will be sold much prior to the new models coming on the market. Sometimes, the camera companies will take back the old models as an incentive for the retailers to order the new ones. For example, Canon took back our 30D's when the 40D's shipped. There were only a couple of them though.

Keep in mind that there is very little margin on these cameras. If a company where to blow out a 1DsII for a super low price, they would be taking a multi-thousand dollar hit. Instead, they usually hold onto it until the very end.

Aug 01, 2008 at 08:17 PM
Sebastian Kk
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Thanks Jeremy and Ben, guess I have to accept the fact there is no cheap steal for me out there. Probably better in the end.

Time to save up and wait

Aug 04, 2008 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Sebastian Kk wrote:
Who would buy the last model as a collectors item....

So no discount prices on them anywhere?

Businesses that have to standardize on a particular model.

An example from the IT perspective, A data center may continue purchasing the same model of an older server even though newer versions may be available (at lower prices), so that operations can be streamlined.

Aug 04, 2008 at 04:24 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Then of course there is always the Buy&Sell forum here at FM

Seriously, when a model is getting a little "long-in-the-tooth" (sorry, old school phrase),
it shows up in the B&S at a bargain price. Often these used bodies are low use, low clicks, etc.

I have had excellent results here with last generation models.
I have a low-click, about 11k, 1DmkII now for about $1800.
I am one of those guys waiting for the 5DMKII so that I can get a pristine 5D for a song.

Since I already have a 40D, I am not in a hurry & still takin' pics

Dan

Aug 04, 2008 at 04:34 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Well check this out.. .http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7284814&st=1ds&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1158321617837] I thought that was pretty crazy! Why on earth would such a huge retailer keep such old stock and be selling it for such a rediculous price. Oh, collectors items

Edited on Aug 04, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Aug 04, 2008 at 10:54 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Adorama have them new.

They even have Mk I cameras new.

Aug 04, 2008 at 11:51 PM
Rubber Soul
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Sebastian Kk wrote:
I was just wondering what happens to unsold merchandise when products get upgraded.

Sometimes, overstocked merchandise are donated to local schools and charities. Probably as a tax write-off. Wasn't there a thread here a few months ago about a local public high school receiving a philantrophic donation of about a dozen EF 400mm f5.6/L lenses or somesuch? Maybe somewhere in the country, there are homeless shelters stocked with philantrophic car donations from BMW too...

Aug 05, 2008 at 12:04 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Rubber Soul beat me to it.

This happens all the time.Sometimes it actually benefits the recipients, but not often. Mostly it's just more hidden tax-relief for the ultra-rich.

Another possibility for unsold stuff would be selling it to the repair & spare-parts shops, though that's a relatively small market when the items are high tech due to the speed of obsolescence.

Aug 05, 2008 at 01:31 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

shaunmlavery wrote:
Well check this out.. .http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7284814&st=1ds&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1158321617837] I thought that was pretty crazy! Why on earth would such a huge retailer keep such old stock and be selling it for such a rediculous price. Oh, collectors items

and yet someone bought it, recently!
and then trashed Canon in the review for charging so much for it!
said it wasn't too bad, but a terrible value!

Aug 05, 2008 at 02:15 AM
Jeremy K
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

At my work (circuit city) i'm the guy running most of the camera stuff so the way they do it at least, is they have a certain number of cameras they should have for each model in stock. Typically it's 2-3 for each DSLR. sometimes 5-6 if they don't sell too quickly, and once they sell more come in from the warehouse. I had a 30D brand new for several months after the 40D was out, the price dropped some, but nothing insane. Probably couldn't find we had 1 from the main website so you have to check around store by store.

After christmas last year i'd sold around 80% of the camera stock we had for all our models, leaving most models out of stock (except the sony's, we get SO many of them) for easily 2-3 months. I literally couldnt sell much until the new models were released and I got the new stock in.

Aug 05, 2008 at 03:38 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What happens to unsold merchandise?

Dealers can return them to the manufacture for a credit. The catch is they have to order twice as much new goods as they are returning. In other words, if the dealer returns $10,000 in discontinued product, they must order $20,000 in new product. This is referred to as stock balancing in the photo industry.

Aug 05, 2008 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password