Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2008 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

DocsPics wrote:
I agree the last shot is quite amazing. I have personally found that photographing people levitating usually doesn't work (might have something to do with the cosmic forces in play). Anyhow, this shot nailed it.

(By the way, how does she do that?)

Trampoline? What is amazing is that she is so relaxed and at ease, weightless and floating as if underwater. The image immediately reminded me of the underwater work of someone like Howard Schatz but I have to say that this shot by Richard has an unpretentious, natural and innocent feel about it that is really unique.

http://www.thearticleworks.com/weightless_page.htm

Jul 07, 2009 at 07:55 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

Trampoline is correct - well spotted. What amazes me even more is that this is less than half the frame - it was shot in landscape orientation. I made an A2 print for her parents and it looked fantastic. The 1Ds3 and 200 f1.8 is a killer combination for sharpness with high contrast 3D effect. With gear like that it just a question of "f1.8 and be there".

A lot of the 3D effect of lenses like the 200 f1.8 and Contax 35 f1.4 seem to come from their very natural contrast rendition. They are not lenses which try to compress contrast like many Leicas, and as a result they generate an effortless natural look to the image and really take you there. Accurate handling of light and shade is very important for verity in photos, more important than sharpness or any other factor IMO. The Contax 100 f2 is another lens that has this very natural contrast range. The Canon 85 f1.2 also wastes little contrast.

Jul 07, 2009 at 11:38 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

It does seem like that 35mm 1.4 gives a great feel to it. Wish there was a Nikon equivalent. In my experience the Sigma 50mm gives a great 3D feel. My Tamron 90mm macro had a great 3d effect. Sold it though and I don't know that I've used my Nikon 105mm VR enough to see if it has that same effect. I've also noticed it on my Nikon 24-70mm. Which just happens to be the most spectacular zoom lens I've ever used, very neutral bokeh and rendering.

I'll see if I can dig up some examples to post when I get home.

Anyone have any experience/examples of any good nikon 35mm's that have this effect?

Jul 08, 2009 at 10:01 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

Eric Schwab wrote:
It does seem like that 35mm 1.4 gives a great feel to it. Wish there was a Nikon equivalent. In my experience the Sigma 50mm gives a great 3D feel. My Tamron 90mm macro had a great 3d effect. Sold it though and I don't know that I've used my Nikon 105mm VR enough to see if it has that same effect. I've also noticed it on my Nikon 24-70mm. Which just happens to be the most spectacular zoom lens I've ever used, very neutral bokeh and rendering.

I'll see if I can dig up some examples to post when
...Show more

The ZF 35/2 would probably be a good place to start. The Nikkor 35/1.4 has some 3D-ness but not nearly as much as the Zeiss. The slower 35's aren't worth bothering with if you want 3D.

Jul 08, 2009 at 10:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Which portrait lens with 3D effect?

If I remember ... the 35-70 3.4 Zeiss has some nice 3D to it at the short end ... but I would not have considered 35mm a portrait lens. Will have to try it & see.

Jul 08, 2009 at 10:17 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.