Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2008 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

Paul Buff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

heatherm wrote:
So what type of adapter do I need for 430ex flash?

http://flashzebra.com/wizardcables/hotshoe.shtml

I believe we may have gotten in a similar adapter - check with customer service.

Jun 27, 2008 at 01:42 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

trentchau wrote:
Paul, does the Cybersync put out a constant radio signal when you hold the button down?

The pocketwizards when you hold the fire trigger down essentially emulates a shutter button, so it will allow the camera to autofocus for you. I've used it in wedding situations like the bride and groom walking down the aisle, where autofocus has produced some great shots. I believe this is because of the constant signal going out. On a short burst radio signal anything would trigger the camera on manual focus.

I love your products, I own sever white lightnings so looking forward to getting a
...Show more

Today I tested CyberSync in conjunction with Flash Zebra shutter release cable for Nikon with Nikon D300 camera (connected to CSR or CSRB receiver.)

http://www.flashzebra.com/shutter_pw/0091.shtml

The cable has an on/off switch. When on, the camera continually focuses. Pressing the test button on the CyberSync transmitter triggers the shutter every time you push it. Works like a champ.

But remember: The shutter takes a few milliseconds to raise the mirror and open the shutter, So you can't fire your lights from the same trigger signal because the lights will fire before the camera is ready.

To use this setup you need a second CyberSync transmitter and receiver on a different frequency.

Example: CST #1 is set to frequency #1 as is receiver #1. This fires the camera. CST #2 is on the hotshoe and set to frequency #2, as is the receiver(s) connected to your light(s).

You fire the camera by pressing test on CST#1. The camera responds and, once it's shutter is open, triggers CST#2, which trips the lights via their receivers.

I was able to shoot at about eight frames per second, using the normal 1/200 to 1/250 shutter speed (or 1 second or whatever for ambient light shots.)

Bottom line: It works seamlessly. If you need to trigger the camera from say 700' away, use another CSR or CSRB in repeater mode.

Flash Wizard makes a similar cable for Canon and other cameras - check their website at http://www.flashzebra.com/products.shtml

Edited on Jun 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:37 AM
nicholasong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to thank you for the level of service you provide to the community. I have already purchased the cables and will be ordering the Cybersyncs next. Looking forward to testing the remote trigger.

Jun 29, 2008 at 02:09 AM
kesava
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

i have a set (2 receivers and one transmitter) and i am completely satisfied. as a matter of fact, during some formals i was called away to get the veil being put on, when i went to the brides room (200ft away, 3-4 thick walls in between) i forgot to take the x-miter off and was shooting natural light. When i got back to the sanctuary, i realized what i had done and asked if the flash (which was on a vagabond 2) was going off, they replied "yes, repeatedly."
I am sold on them. if u need a pocket wizard, get one. but I am a pretty serious wedding photographer/studio photographer and I haven't had a necessity past the function of the cybersync. It also should go without saying, but they are reliable. didnt miss one flash. now if only i can get .25s recycling on my strobes. (cough *wonders what the recycle time on the einstien will be *cough)

Edited on Jun 29, 2008 at 02:48 PM

Jun 29, 2008 at 02:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Buff
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

Einstein should do 1/4 second recycle at about 125WS, under 1 second at 500WS and under 2 sec at 1000WS. We could make them faster but this make it rough on household circuit breakers.

Jun 29, 2008 at 04:44 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

Just tested with Nikon D300, Flash Zebra remote camera cable and two CST/CSR on two different frequencies. Frequency 1 was tripping camera remotely from CST test button, frequency 2 CST was on camera hotshoe with receiver 2 tripping AB800.

Everything worked seamlessly. I took shots at 1/400, 1/320 and 1/250 second shutter speeds. Defined black bar at 1/400, faint grey bar at 1/320 and no bar at all at 1/250. The camera is rated at 1/250 or 1/320 depending on how you read the manual.

I repeated the tests with direct sync cord connection from camera to AB. The results were almost the same - the grey bar was still there at 1/320 but slightly less noticeable. The black bar at 1/400 was slightly smaller with direct sync than with CyberSync, at predicted.

There is 875 uSec (1/1143 sec) difference between 1/320 and 1/250, CyberSycn delay is 250 usec (1/4000 sec).

Jun 29, 2008 at 08:21 PM
kesava
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · CyberSync vs Pocket Wizards

Paul Buff wrote:
Einstein should do 1/4 second recycle at about 125WS, under 1 second at 500WS and under 2 sec at 1000WS. We could make them faster but this make it rough on household circuit breakers.

drool.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password